Find
Notify
Tools

Howa Mini's...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
A few weeks ago I was able to help a friend sight in their Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel. They didn't want to replace the factory rings or the Nikko Sterling scope, and I had told them I didn't think the $30 original scope would be worth keeping on...but oh well.

The rifle was on paper with the first shot and a few shots later had this nice group. These things will shoot! Trigger was good and safety was nice.

Now I see they are available in 350 Legend, 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel and .223 Rem (1 in 8 twist). Previously offered in .300 Blackout, 204 Ruger and .222.

Does anyone else on here own/shoot one? I think I need at least one in .223.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're cool little rifles!

I have one each in 6.5 Grendel (new Douglas barrel because the factory was average ho-hum), 223 Rem and 20 Practical (wildcat, Douglas barrel).

I've done a bit more to mine with Bell & Carlson stocks, aluminum bottom metal, Jard triggers and reduced length magazine boxes for a sleeker look and feel but still the same Howa mini really. Pretty dang awesome little rifles and they shoot very very tight little groups too.

I was shooting the 20 Practical and the 223 just yesterday at 300 yards and averaged 2" groups.

Okay, TMI, sorry
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
2" at 300 is impressive! I just got a Howa 1500 Hogue in 300 win mag that I am considering using for a Douglas barrel/rechamber. These seem to be a really good value for what you are getting, even left factory original

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
2" at 300 is impressive! I just got a Howa 1500 Hogue in 300 win mag that I am considering using for a Douglas barrel/rechamber. These seem to be a really good value for what you are getting, even left factory original

I NEVER thought I'd be a Howa fan....but I am because they're a great value and more importantly an excellent rifle.

I've barreled 2-20 cals, 1-22 cal and 2-6.5 cal rifles with Douglas barrels (not all on Howa actions) in the past 2 years and they're all exceptional shooters even comparing them to my Lilja, Bartlein and Krieger barrels.

Most of the factory Howa barrels are excellent. With that said, at this point I'd have zero hesitation to use another Douglas!

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
I jumped on those little Howa’s early on at some of the great prices on barreled actions and complete rifles. At one time I had 12 of the little buggers. I bought quite a few of the 7.62x39’s and after rebarrelling have them in 20,224,6mm, and 6.5 Grendel/LBC. I even ran a Grendel reamer into a factory 7.62 barrel and made a .311 bore Grendel. They all shoot great and were a hell of a bargain at the $250ish I paid for most of the barreled actions. Most recently I picked up two remaining 222 Rem 22” sporter rifles for $325 and one became a 20 Tactical for a good friend shortly after.

I’m a fan!

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool Matt!
My buddy and I have 3 each so we're kind of light-weights. haha.
One of my buddy's was a Grendel rebarreled to 20 Titan (Grendel necked down to .204) sound like maybe y'all are shooting one. very quick little round but I settled on the 20 Practical since I have one on a Rem 700 already.

I hope the OP doesn't think this is a highjack. I always give TMI because I like talking guns.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I love reading all of the extra info and seeing all the other fans of the brand! Keep the posts comin!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1500 mini in .222 that would like a new owner.

(if this a breech of protocol please excuse me and set me straight)

Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Michalski:
I have a 1500 mini in .222 that would like a new owner.

(if this a breech of protocol please excuse me and set me straight)

Mike

Throw out a number.
I'd be interested in the action, replead with magazine and all the screws etc., but Lord knows I don't need another 222. It would need to be shipped to my local dealer.

I'd feel a need for a new barrel, stock, trigger and bottom-metal so my build price gets spendy and I don't REALLY need another but....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
$480 shipped?

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Michalski:
$480 shipped?

Probably well worth that to someone looking to keep the rifle intact. Sadly I'm looking for the base on which to build something a bit soupier.

Sorry Michael, It's not going to fit with what I want to spend.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of them and I think they're great, especially for the price. There is some aftermarket support for them now too. I wish someone would make a good magazine/chassis system for them. A 10-round magazine with a 2.5" internal length would be just the ticket for the local matches.

I modified one to work with 30-round carbine magazines:

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
That looks great jpl, what stock is that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock is some old beater I had in the garage. I think it came off a remington. You can see that it doesn't really line up with the little howa receiver. It had a thick layer of old yellow varnish on it, and the cheap pressed checkering made it difficult to remove the old finish. Anyway, the oil finish it has now looks better and is easy to touch up. The overall cheapness of this setup means I end up picking this rifle to drag around the mountains and I don't worry about scratching it, while the expensive hardware tends to stay home.

There are aftermarket stocks available for the mini now, and they're generally much better than the rubber stock it comes with.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
JPL, is that in 30 Carbine or something more interesting.....big scope for an M1 bullet...

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Yes, I remember the Spitwad now !

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice and very creative stuff right there!
Well done Mr jpl!!!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got one chambered in 375 SOCOM.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very cool Tony! What big game have you taken with that caliber?

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Howa Mini actions are excellent quality for their price point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I bought a Howa Mini barrelled action in 7.62 x 39 with the intent to turn it into another 6.5 Grendel but it shot so good in 7.62 that I thought about playing with it a while before rebarrelling.
It shoots some pretty surprising groups for the Soviet round especially with steel case FMJ Wolf Performance Ammunition.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being old fashioned, I wish someone made a nice hinged bottom plate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lincs Stalker:
Being old fashioned, I wish someone made a nice hinged bottom plate.

There are at least two manufacturers of hinged floor plates for the Mini that have been available for a bit over a year. If you don't like them, you can probably hire a gunsmith to make you a custom one that specifically meets your requirements.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If only they came in a lefty!!!

Posts: 497 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
This is one of the situations that we occasionally find ourselves in.
I bought some RCBS dies and Lapua brass at auction in 7.62X39 that I’m now conversely looking for a rifle which will not knarf up this lovely brass.
The Howa is probably top of the list but the CZ looks nice too.
Thanks for the report, I now think the Howa could be top choice.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote