THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What cartridge would you choose? Varmints/Deer.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What cartridge would you choose? Varmints/Deer.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering what you would choose for rockchucks, coyotes and such to mule deer? I was thinking of like 243win or 6mm Remington. But maybe go up to 25 or 6.5 caliber. I hunt rockchucks every year and sometimes mule deer when I draw. I was thinking of getting a gun for both. Even thinking of a 243wssm if I can find one. Let me know your thoughts.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This will sound under powered and many will disagree, but I have seen a bunch of youth using .222 and .223 on whitetail deer no problem. If shooting a bunch of chucks, a .243 is more than I want.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25 06

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good choice... 70gr for varmints, 117-120gr for Deer.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Can’t really beat the .243 Winchester to fit that bill. If it was more deer and less varmints: .260 Remington/6.5 Creedmor/6.5X55 Ssede

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the .270 WSM, 25 WSSM, 243 WSSM, .257 WBY, 6.5 PRC, and any of the five would do what you need. If more Mule Deer than the smaller stuff the WSM and Wby or 6.5 PRC would be best, all flat shooters with enough power to take the largest Deer out there. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Rock chucks EVERY year and a mule deer once in awhile. 243 or the 6mm Rem. If those 2 bore you by being too perfect for the application then the fairly new 6mm creedmoor. 55 grainers out of the 243 on Rock chucks is just good fun.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .243 or 25-06 for coyote, antelope and deer.

quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
This will sound under powered and many will disagree, but I have seen a bunch of youth using .222 and .223 on whitetail deer no problem. If shooting a bunch of chucks, a .243 is more than I want.

In Colorado there is a minimum of .243 caliber for deer.

Posts: 318 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
260 rem. / 6.5 creedmoor

Posts: 1132 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I have rifles in both .243 and 6 mm chamberings, neither really meet the requirements for both varmints (coyotes and ‘chucks) and mule deer - the latter animal can attain rather large stature. I would rather the minimum practical cartridge be the .260 Remington, which I have used for both classes if animals. That said, I have used a .270 WCF for both varmints and deer….

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the 243 Win/6mm Rem are the very best crossover cartridges out there. They can be a real varmint cartridge or a real deer cartridge depending on the bullet.

Like others have said, Leaning more for deer and less for varmints, the 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 would be my choice.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Answers will be all over the place of course...We use shotguns for Coyotes in the thick woods of Southeast. Any other varmits get 22 mag or 223.

A friend of mine is getting a 25-06. Looking at the ballistics it can do a lot of things. Maybe overkill for varmits, possible marginal for Big Heavy Deer. But on paper it looks like a neat cartridge.

I've only used 6.5x55 and up for Deer. Light recoil and lots of bullet weights/options.

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it will be used mainly for rockchucks and deer when I draw. Forgot about the 6 Creedmoor. I'll do some investigation on that cartridge. My brother uses a 22250 for chucks. I was using a 17hmr that was good and accurate. But I want farther range. But would want a caliber for deer to to atleast 250 or even 300 yards for deer.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gotta be pretty pissed off at a rock chuck to break out the 243 or 25-06.
not sayin it ain't happened, but I don't like burning 50grs of powder to shoot a 10 lb animal.

anyway before I started with those, I was using my 7X57 with 100gr. varmint bullets and a reasonable amount of 4895.

it done the job just fine, and I've never had a mule deer [or elk] of any size laugh at me when I pointed that rifle at it.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ronco--Thanks for reminding me of the minimum .243, I knew that and had forgotten.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never used a .243, but I have 2 6mm. Remingtons and a .25-06. For deer and antelope, I think the .25-06 does a noticeably better job than the 6mm. I think the 6 mm. is a great varmint round. I have used both the 6 mm. with 75 gr. Hornady HPs and the .25-06 with 80 gr. Rem. HPs on rockchucks. Both will really lift a rockchuck into the air. I like the 115 gr. Nosler partition for deer and antelope. I have shot coyotes with both the 100 and 115 gr partitions from the .25-06. It killed well but was rough on the hides. For the hunting you have described, I would definitely get a .25-06. There are probably a lot who would recommend the .243/6mm. You will probably be fine with either if you make good shot placement.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My choice has been mostly the 250-3000. and the 25-06 is a wonderful caliber for what you hunt..

Actually, since I have several that qualify, I think my 220 Swift would fill the bill as well..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25-06.

The ultimate crossover for me. Very light bullets for varmints, and PLENTY of power for deer.

I have two friends who use their 25-06s for Elk hunting, and are successful. I’ve never used one on Elk, but their success is hard to argue with. Deer? No problem. Of any size. Pick the right bullet (construction & weight).

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll figure out something. I got 6mm brass and dies but no gun. The local pawn shop had a 6mm made from a fn mauser(I think wasn't paying much attention). I was interested in a 3030 he had.

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Forty years ago I built my .257 Ackley exactly for that purpose. Over the years it also became my mountain sheep rifle, and I also made one shot kills with it on my Mountain caribou and my 2nd best 6x6 bull elk.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1631 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll try to add another of my 2 cents to the discussion.

Lots will depend on the ranges and deer/varmint type you're hunting.

Marmots at 100 yards don't require the same rifle platform of cartridge as those that you're trying to kill at 500. Likewise, if you're shooting does and small bucks, a small cartridge and small bullet is fine.

I'd rather use two rifle for your application (and I do, at least) like a 22-250 for chucks and a 270+/- for deer ....and a 300 of 338 mag for elk.,,,but you didn't ask for that.

I still say, for a one gun deal, it's hard to beat something in .243 diameter.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a .25-06 that I’d use in that situation.

If one is hoping on a draw for mule deer, then it’s a bit of a rarity, and I’d want enough oomph to make sure of it at a distance.

A 6.5 is good, but a bit more recoil than I’d want in a varmint gun.

I’d be a little hesitant with a .243 at longer range on mule deer.

A fast .22 through a standard .30 will do what you want with some restrictions, so there really isn’t a “wrong” choice.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
I'll try to add another of my 2 cents to the discussion.

Lots will depend on the ranges and deer/varmint type you're hunting.

Marmots at 100 yards don't require the same rifle platform of cartridge as those that you're trying to kill at 500. Likewise, if you're shooting does and small bucks, a small cartridge and small bullet is fine.

I'd rather use two rifle for your application (and I do, at least) like a 22-250 for chucks and a 270+/- for deer ....and a 300 of 338 mag for elk.,,,but you didn't ask for that.

I still say, for a one gun deal, it's hard to beat something in .243 diameter.

Zeke

X2

Posts: 321 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Any of the 25s, which one is depending on range. For the hunting I do with the .250-3000, my max is 300 yards on deer. I add about 75 yards each as I move up to the Roberts, then .25-06, then the Weatherby. For varmints, my max is as far as reasonable, whatever that means.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm not much for moderation, shoot a 6x45mm and a 6mm-284...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
1/4 bore is the bees knees for varmints-deer caliber. It will easily do anything a dedicated varmint round will do, but I like the little extra it provides over a .243 for big mulies.
Actually something in a 7mm is not a bad choice either. The varmint to deer .284 bullet availability is excellent and recoil is still negligible (in say a 7/08 or 7X57) for varminting.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
If you are a dedicated/serious hide hunter you'll want to use a small bore not well suited to deer hunting. If you just want to kill varmints then just about any flat shooting cartridge will do.

I agree with the persons above who recommend .25 caliber and up for deer. I know the .243 has a following among some deer hunters but I was disappointed by its performance. Yes, the deer did die, eventally.

I think just about any cartridge from 250 Savage to 300 Win Mag could fill the varmint/deer roll. The 257 Roberts, 25-06, 257 Wby, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel, 264 Win Mag, 6.8 SPC, and 270 Winchester would be some good ones for the dual role.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
For your rockchucks most any cartridge that shoots a 50 to 75 gr bullet will do the job. Bullet weight is dependent on caliber.
For your deer most any cartridge that can shoot at least a 115 gr bullet, with a velocity of at least 2800 fps will do the trick.
If you find one cartridge that can shoot a light bullet to meet the varmint category and a heavier bullet to meet the deer category, get that.
Have a fun time with your new rifle whatever caliber you choose.

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
For the dual role rifle, the .257 Roberts is never a bad choice!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
243 & 6mm Rem are about perfect. The 6mm is faster twist which gives it an advantage with higher BC bullets.
Any of the 6.5’s are great choices too.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most all the cartridges mentioned will work for the needs mentioned and everyone has their favorite. Me… I lean towards the 6mm Remington, although I also like the 6.5 Swede. Like most of us we probably have many more cartridges to choose from and to try to pick the best for a certain task is tough.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
25 06

Hard to beat it.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
.243 Winchester or .25-06 Remington.

I'd go for the quarter bore myself.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a number of choices, the world is your oyster on that subject...

The last number of years Ive used my SAkO L-461 in the 6x45 . it works well for rock chucks to Mule Deer..the 250-3000 suits me well and has for plus 70 or so years of hunting..I like the 25-06 but on a 100 to 500 day rock chuck or or P-dog shoot Im told recoil sets in, I don't doubt that, but I finished at about 25 animals, its time for a coffee stop in town..

The 250-3000 is IMO the greatest caliber in history and those that have used on deer and varmints always seem to agree and mama and the kids can shoot it. I shot a few elk with it as a kid without a single problem. I used Rem factory ammo for all one shot kills. I still hunt with it from time to time..Do yourself a favor and give it a try..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Jimmy in VA
posted Hide Post
I can't help it
I love shooting this one too much

think twice, shoot once

Posts: 21 | Location: Ridgelines of the Roanoke Valley | Registered: 22 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over this side of the pond where rifle ownership the 243 reigns supreme. Good for foxes and pretty much any deer that walks in the UK. Most will be standard sporter weight type rifle.

For those who err more towards foxes, it will be a heavy barreled version, with long picatinny rails to take a night vision optic.

But given the growing need to use non toxic ammo on deer, the 6.5 CM and 308 are becoming the goto do it all calibre, with a 223, 222, 22-250 and 204 all being used as main foxing rifles.

22lr is still main calibre for shooting rabbits.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm currently working up some loads for my .220 swift for deer and I think it will be awesome!

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the caliber Ive used most for the last 70 or more years is still the 250-3000, Its never failed on coyotes, deer or elk..Its a good 400 yard gun so far as thats the longest shots Ive taken on Mule deer..and its been fine for elk at 300 give or take a bit..

coyotes? as far as I can see, mostly was good at missing!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long it is a Blaser, you will be fine.

Any caliber from .243 to .30-06 should be fine.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
As long it is a Blaser, you will be fine.

Any caliber from .243 to .30-06 should be fine.

+1

Blaser is perfect tu2

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote