THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Will the 6.5 Creedmoor kill the 260 Rem
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will the 6.5 Creedmoor kill the 260 Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Built rifles years ago on same 260 design. worked vary well. Creedmoore new design. I would build 260 if was me. JMA Jerry

Posts: 32 | Location: victoria,tx | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I built a 6.5x47 when I lived in Australia because it made more logistical sense.

Today with over 10 different 6.5 Creedmoor loadings for between $22-32 a box it makes the most logistical sense.

Yep the 260 is faster.

But I have only seen one 260 factory rifle in a configuration with a fast twist barrel for sale. Remington has one with that wierd slab sided barrel.

Howa/Weatherby, Browning, Ruger, and tons of AR folks all make the 6.5 Creedmoor. People like Nosler, Christensens and all the semi-custom players are also turning them out.

I like it, it works for me.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 makes more sense than both of them. Talking rifles/chamberings is like a trip to Best Buy with the geek squad anymore......

Both pointless.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 16Bore:
270 makes more sense than both of them. Talking rifles/chamberings is like a trip to Best Buy with the geek squad anymore......

Both pointless.

We enjoy rifles at a different level than you do.

You must have quite a bit of gun-geek in you to have a moniker like 16Bore.

1. The 270 doesn't have the selection of bullets that the 6.5's do especially for long range.

2. The 270 kicks harder making hard to spot your shots through the scope as most of us shoot prone.

3. The 270 burns more powder as it is almost 300 FPS faster in the same bullet weight and since most people shooting matches with the 6.5 burn 2 or 3 barrels a year the 270 would add that cost. A 270 barrel will never last to 3500 ROUNDS in competition.

4. The 270 is a long action cartridge, and most match shooters wanting long action will either go with the 6.5-284.

5. The 270 is a favorite of that self-important, elitist, snob gun writer who 90% of the people I shoot matches with don't even know the name of.

All 5 are good reasons not to shoot a 270.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:

Both pointless.

1. The 270 doesn't have the selection of bullets that the 6.5's do especially for long range.

2. The 270 kicks harder making hard to spot your shots through the scope as most of us shoot prone.

3. The 270 burns more powder as it is almost 300 FPS faster in the same bullet weight and since most people shooting matches with the 6.5 burn 2 or 3 barrels a year the 270 would add that cost. A 270 barrel will never last to 3500 yards in competition.

4. The 270 is a long action cartridge, and most match shooters wanting long action will either go with the 6.5-284.

5. The 270 is a favorite of that self-important, elitist, snob gun writer who 90% of the people I shoot matches with don't even know the name of.

We aren't schlepping a HOWA and hanging our hats on one load for competition are we? We aren't even talking competition. But if we are talking about dead animals than we are paying attention. And we don't know how long we shoot, but we like 500 yards in our neighborhood. And we have a plethora of options if we don't want to roll our own.

But we never kick our own dog and we always like to justify our purchases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two questions for you:

When did Gollum join the forum?

What kind of adult talks like that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree the 260 does just fine in a short action, and thus the allure. If you want to tote a long action or push VLDs at high velocity, get a 6.5x284, 6.5-06 or whatever. If you are bench rest shooting, good chance your rig is all custom anyway, at least if your serious about it. If you are going to kill critters there just ain't a cats ass worth of difference between the two. Ballistics, powder options, and marketing challenges are more dependent on the particular rifle than the cartridges.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:

Both pointless.

Had some been there done that. No thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP_6.5:
quote:

Both pointless.

Had some been there done that. No thanks.

What does that mean?

You had a 270 and didn't like it?

In the U.S., there have probably been more 270 rifle and ammo sold than all commercial 6.5mm bore rifle and ammo combined. 270 factory ammo is easier to find in rural areas and generally less expensive than any of the 6.5mm bore cartridges that are available.

I was never much of a 270 fan, but I am currently shooting elk on our ranch with 270s in a Colt Light Rifle and a Remington 760. I could shoot them with any of dozens of other cartridges and hundreds of other rifles, but the 270 is so good and so easy.

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
With a 257 Roberts, Nosler 115 Partitions through the clock works at 400 yards makes their heart stop. Blood pressure drops within about 11 seconds. Dear are pretty quick, so they can sometimes make it a couple hundred yard in that amount of time.

This is a very telling post. It demonstrates very well just how different our notions of acceptable performance can be. Those notions are more likely dictated by conditions/terrain than by actual "killing power" (whatever that is).

In my neck of the woods, 11 seconds and a couple hundred yards constitutes dismal failure, potential catastrophe. This is the exact reason I will never again use a .243 or .22CF out back. And if Matt's experience is to be believed (as it should) it is reason enough not to use a .257 Roberts here as well.

No whitetail I have ever shot well with a .300 Whatever Mag has gone more than 50 yards. Ever. Nor has any animal remained vertical for more than 3-4 seconds. Ever. I cannot say the same for the .22CFs and .243. The difference in Maine woods is monumental. Out where Matt hunts the difference may not matter.

BTW, Matt, I am not being even slightly critical of your positive assessment of the Roberts here. We have differing needs.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samuel_Hoggson:
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
With a 257 Roberts, Nosler 115 Partitions through the clock works at 400 yards makes their heart stop. Blood pressure drops within about 11 seconds. Dear are pretty quick, so they can sometimes make it a couple hundred yard in that amount of time.

This is a very telling post. It demonstrates very well just how different our notions of acceptable performance can be. Those notions are more likely dictated by conditions/terrain than by actual "killing power" (whatever that is).

In my neck of the woods, 11 seconds and a couple hundred yards constitutes dismal failure, potential catastrophe. This is the exact reason I will never again use a .243 or .22CF out back. And if Matt's experience is to be believed (as it should) it is reason enough not to use a .257 Roberts here as well.

No whitetail I have ever shot well with a .300 Whatever Mag has gone more than 50 yards. Ever. Nor has any animal remained vertical for more than 3-4 seconds. Ever. I cannot say the same for the .22CFs and .243. The difference in Maine woods is monumental. Out where Matt hunts the difference may not matter.

BTW, Matt, I am not being even slightly critical of your positive assessment of the Roberts here. We have differing needs.

A lost deer is hardly a catastrophe. No protein goes to waste in the wild, that circle of life thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:A lost deer is hardly a catastrophe. No protein goes to waste in the wild, that circle of life thing.

What is your point? Do you follow up game you hit? If so, why do you bother?

Seriously, a lost whitetail is a catastrophe to me. I do not wish to feed, nor promote the welfare, of coyotes.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samuel_Hoggson:
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:A lost deer is hardly a catastrophe. No protein goes to waste in the wild, that circle of life thing.

What is your point? Do you follow up game you hit? If so, why do you bother?

Seriously, a lost whitetail is a catastrophe to me. I do not wish to feed, nor promote the welfare, of coyotes.

My point is that a lost deer is hardly a catastrophe. Being hit by a flood, hurricane, or tornado is a catastrophe, a lost deer is hardly worth a second thought. Coyotes, 'coons, and opossums have to eat too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfuckingbelievable. I never knew that deer hunting was so complicated. What the world needs is more research and ballistic studies about this stuff. I'd guess that there are more "DRT" shots with a 30-06 than anything, since the vast majority of the world hunts with the thing.

But 30-06 guys don't worry about "DRT" because 30-06 guys don't worry.

Goof grief.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
My point is that a lost deer is hardly a catastrophe. Being hit by a flood, hurricane, or tornado is a catastrophe, a lost deer is hardly worth a second thought. Coyotes, 'coons, and opossums have to eat too.

'Catastrophe' is subjective. This applies to the impact (subjective) of any loss (objective) that one can experience. Thus, a flood, hurricane, or tornado might or might not be a catastrophe. It would depend on whether one is affected in some way.

Non-retrieval of a game animal doesn't bother you much. You're happy to feed the critters. Ok, I get it.

And as this trite aside has nothing to do with the thread's topic, I won't continue. Please, the last word is all yours.

posted Hide Post
What does that mean?

You had a 270 and didn't like it?

In the U.S., there have probably been more 270 rifle and ammo sold than all commercial 6.5mm bore rifle and ammo combined. 270 factory ammo is easier to find in rural areas and generally less expensive than any of the 6.5mm bore cartridges that are available.

I was never much of a 270 fan, but I am currently shooting elk on our ranch with 270s in a Colt Light Rifle and a Remington 760. I could shoot them with any of dozens of other cartridges and hundreds of other rifles, but the 270 is so good and so easy.[/QUOTE]

I just means I had a 270 and for the kick it gave on the back end it didn't put out as much on the front end. The ones I had kicked as much as my 7mm magnums.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think there's as much difference between the two as people wanna believe. Hell, take all the typical CF hunting cartridges out there and throw them in a blender and you've got a 145 grain, .425 BC something caliber with a MV of 2950.

Things are more similar than different. You'd be just as dead if you got run over with a full dump truck as an empty one.

But there I go trying to simplify stuff again.....

posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think there's as much difference between the two as people wanna believe. Hell, take all the typical CF hunting cartridges out there and throw them in a blender and you've got a 145 grain, .425 BC something caliber with a MV of 2950.

Things are more similar than different. You'd be just as dead if you got run over with a full dump truck as an empty one.

But there I go trying to simplify stuff again.....

Now why would you want to simplify things? Gun and ammo manufacturers can't make any money that way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only 6.5 I owned was a 6.5x55 killed deer just fine.

I would buy a 6,5 Creedmoor or 260 and kill things with them.

Like I do with all the other calibers I use on critters.

If one has a very specific use in mind and the Creedmoor fits that use then use it.

But in the hunting fields it really doesn't matter anything that throws a decent weight for caliber at a decent velocity well work well. As long as it is place in the proper place.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfuckingbelievable. I never knew that deer hunting was so complicated. What the world needs is more research and ballistic studies about this stuff. I'd guess that there are more "DRT" shots with a 30-06 than anything, since the vast majority of the world hunts with the thing.

Goof grief.....

The 30-06 is a great cartridge, but it is a bit too plebeian for a rifle looney!

Using new/different rifles/cartridges/bullets keeps things interesting in States where multiple tags are available to anyone who wants to buy them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Goof grief.....

The 30-06 is a great cartridge, but it is a bit too plebeian for a rifle looney!

Using new/different rifles/cartridges/bullets keeps things interesting in States where multiple tags are available to anyone who wants to buy them.

I'm either running out of give-a-shit or just getting old. Maybe a little of both!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Goof grief.....

I'm either running out of give-a-shit or just getting old. Maybe a little of both!

I sold my last full-time business and retired when I was 44 and have spent about 10 hours per week for the last 16 years managing my investment interests. That leaves a lot of time to fill if one is to stay away from trouble and women to whom one is not married. Buying, building, and shooting a variety of rifles fills a lot of those empty hours for me.

one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
I have one of each - for the same and different reasons. Mostly because I like rifles and enjoy using them....

The .260 is a Browning Low Wall single shot. It's a beautiful rifle and a joy to carry and shoot. Very accurate too, but too pretty and expensive to drag around the hills in poor weather or on a quad. It's killed two cow elk to date with 129 Interlocks, with one shot apiece.

The newbie is a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 CM. It's my new all weather, quad riding, drag it through the brush fun gun. I hope to blood it on a blacktail this week and an elk a bit later on. It'll use the same 129 Hornaday and I expect the same performance.....

To answer the OP's question.... if Manufacturers give us .260's with an 8 twist and some reasonable choices in platforms - then no, I think it will survive. It won't reach .243 or .270 status, but it'll be with us for a long time.

If not, then the Creed will probably overrun it and we'll see it slowly disappear from the scene. The Creed is offered in some nice platforms and twisted right with great factory ammo to support it.

My .270 is 47 years old now and still the last firearm in the house that I would part with....

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I can only speak for myself. But I am certain that no Creedmore will ever kill my 260. Although I could potentially see it falling victim to a 6.5/284..

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to build an AR-10 perhaps.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Having loaded for both. I will say the Creed is easier to load and develop the Perfect load in. And the 260 not being offered in an 8"twist is just too stupid to deal with. If the 6.5 Creedmoor hadn't been invented , I would probably be shooting a 260. But the Creed Was invented . In Great rifles. So that's what I hunt and shoot. So far mine has accounted for 4 caribou with 5 shots. The extra shot was totally my fault.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The niche for the creedmore is long pointy 140s in a 10-round magazine for PRS type match shooting. In this particular application it works a little better than the 260 because the magazines in question are based on the 308. Make the magazines a little longer and the 260 would be the pick.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The success or death of one over the other will not be dependent any rational argument but rather on what company / companies both in rifle and ammo offerings push the sale the hardest !

It's simple!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
or just use the 6.5x47 and have a little more room in the mag box...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:

Both pointless.

3. The 270 burns more powder as it is almost 300 FPS faster in the same bullet weight and since most people shooting matches with the 6.5 burn 2 or 3 barrels a year the 270 would add that cost. A 270 barrel will never last to 3500 ROUNDS in competition.

I don't know any match shooters who shoot matches with a 270, but I know quite a few match shooters who hunt with a 270.I see them every week....and hunt with some of them every year.

This is a funny thread.Who cares about matches and match shooters when it comes to hunting? The hunting world does not revolve around match shooters and their pet cartridges and bullets. In fact they muck up the conversation more often than not.Actually I know some match shooters with no hunting experience to speak of at all.

I've killed lots of animals with numerous 270's. I laugh when someone tells me it's a lousy cartridge.

The 260 will never go away but I think the 6.5 Creed will find greater market acceptance. I'm seeing far more Creed ammo and rifles on the shelves than 260 stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Creed solves a lot of problems. 6mm Creed killing the 243 will be next on the list of bullshit subjects, then the 22 Creed vs 22-250.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader Magazine has a store on the 6mm Creed and the loadings they developed in a A-10

Posts: 368 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
s/b a story on 6MM Creed

Posts: 368 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought Hornady was already making ammo

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Creedmoor Smeedmoor! Flash in the pan! I don't think it will kill the 260 as I don't think the 260 was ever really alive to begin with. And yes, I have a .260 and love it. I also have 6.5x55 and love it (Acutally think the Swede is the perfect round for everything in NA but the big nasties) The 6.5CM might well be the darling of the BR shooters for now and it is a great round but it will never be accepted by the bulk of the hunting crowd. Just like the rest of the 6.5's; the 260, 6.5x55, 6.5x284 and whatever else, they have not been embraced by American hunters. And there aren't enough benchresters/hunters to help it out but I suspect it will have a dedicated faithful few just like the 260.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hdxr750
posted Hide Post
I have two 260 Remington Rifles. If the 6.5 had came out and Reamers were on the market, I would have had a tuff Road to Hoe. So I'm staying with the 260 Remington.

NRA Life Member
From West Virginia, where the Sun shines in the sky
and the Moon shines in the basement

Posts: 175 | Location: Wheeling, WV | Registered: 03 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will gain in popularity now that LAPUA is making brass for it. It was designed to fit and feed in a short action.

the x55 Swede is dying in America. Too long for a short action, and there are many better choices for a long action, starting with the 6,5x284.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

the x55 Swede is dying in America. Too long for a short action, and there are many better choices for a long action, starting with the 6,5x284.

Hardly. animal

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2790 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no dog in this fight, but it should be pointed out that the 6.5 Creedmoor has, since its 2008 introduction, sold several times more rifles and ammo than the 20 year old 260 Rem. One can talk hype until the cows come home, but the creedmoor looks pretty well established, at this point, as sales winner. The 260 wasn't really popular before the creedmoor showed up, so why does anyone think it has a chance now?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington killed the 260 with shit twists and their isn't any available ammo that capitalizes on BC. Creeds are done right and Hornady figured out the ammo outta the gate.