THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Will the 6.5 Creedmoor kill the 260 Rem
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will the 6.5 Creedmoor kill the 260 Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Just to ensure the thread lives on, Bell thought the 256 was a great Giraffe round out to 500 yards with iron sights and RN 160 grain bullets...up over the bushes and down into the heart = dead Giraffe.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mackey:
Olarmy

I did not say it could not be done, read my previous post carefully.

I said I do not think it is right or sensible to shoot at large game at 500 yards with the small cased 6.5's.

I have shot a very large number of deer with a small 6.5 and that is how I have come to my conclusions, through practical experience and observation of the results in the field.

Bigger calibres with large capacity cases are better for taking on long range shots regardless of the angle the animal may be standing at, rather than handicapping oneself with small cartridges that are just barely capable at such ranges.

A hunter can certainly fire the small 6.5's at game 500 yards away but the results and outcome will not be 100 percent guaranteed on every occasion.

Gregor Woods wrote that he uses the .375 for everything because it takes the doubt out of hunting.

I am saying something similar, if you want to shoot game at 500 yards then use larger calibres
with larger capacity cases instead of the small 6.5's.

Sorry but that's just baloney. I've killed more deer with 375s 416s and 458s than most guys. And I can garrentee you from my experience that a 308,270,25/06 knocks them down generally faster than a big bore on a just behind the shoulder shot.
From the caribou I watched die this fall. On behind the shoulder or frontally. The 6.5 Creedmoor kills every bit as fast as the 06+308 . . There was not a precievable difference between the 3 carts. A 375 wouldn't have put them on the ground one bit faster.
And I'm a ( reasonable) Big bore guy.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last thing I'd want to shoot at 500 yards is a 375 H&H unless it was necked down to 7mm.

Drop is dialable, wind is voodoo and I'd rather worry about 13" than 36" (10MPH)

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
The 260 Remington seems like a peach of a deer round. I am guessing that its the 308 win and mostly 7mm-08 that never let the 260 get any ground.

The Creedmoore seems to be DOA even faster than the 260 as a "commercial" hunting round.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is doing with the similar velocity 6.5mm rounds what the 375 Ruger did with similar velocity 375 rounds. It is just a better mouse trap! . That does not mean the other 6.5 mm carts are not good or even great mouse traps.

I'm having serious trouble understanding how some members fail to perceive that an accurate target round is also an accurate hunting round.
. There are too many of them to not know that.
The 308 Winchester, an inherently accurate military and target round is also an excellent hunting round. As is the 6.5×55, the 223/5.56, 30/06, 300 Win Mag 338 Lapua and 50 BMG. For their respective sized quarry. Since the 6.5 Swede is a great moose round. A historical and current fact. ! I fail to see how the 6.5 Creedmoor is not equal. Seems like every month there are more factory rifles brought out in 6.5 Creedmoor.
If Remington would have applied some quality thot to the 260 from its birth. There would probably never have been the 6.5 Creedmoor. . Even if all they had done is use an 8" twist it would have faired better. Just like the 244 Remington. .
Hornady and Ruger did their homework BEFORE they brought it out. And now are reaping the rewards of their hard work. While Remington let the 260 founder.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many times has Remington made huge miscalculations when introducing a new cartridge?

Posts: 247 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 20 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They did perfectly with the 416 Remington. And with the RUMS ans Short RUM'S.
They did good with the 7/08 too. I had a 300 Short RUM and I liked it a lot for a 30 caliber. I wish it was more plentyful. I would build a wild cat on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Landrum:
How many times has Remington made huge miscalculations when introducing a new cartridge?

Quite often, but Winchester and Federal haven't been without their share of failures.

The 338 Federal didn't set The World on fire, nor have the Winchester clan of 358, 284, 225, 256 Win Mag, 264 Win Mag, 307, 356, or 375. While the WSSMs work well, they just never got off to a good start and have foundered.

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
They did good with the 7/08 too. I had a 300 Short RUM and I liked it a lot for a 30 caliber. I wish it was more plentyful. I would build a wild cat on it.

The 7mm-08 wasn't very successful until Layne Simpson made it his mission to promote it in much the same manner that the Jack O'Connor took the 270 as his personal project.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:

The 300 Rum is reasonably successful, but the 7mm, 338, and 375 RUMs have been very poor sellers. I like the SAUMs better than the WSMs, but they are about dead, and were never really alive to start with. I think Norma or Lapua makes 300 SAUM brass. The 6.5 SAUM wildcat may prove more popular than its parents before too long.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Landrum:

Quite often, but Winchester and Federal haven't been without their share of failures.

The 338 Federal didn't set The World on fire, nor have the Winchester clan of 358, 284, 225, 256 Win Mag, 264 Win Mag, 307, 356, or 375. While the WSSMs work well, they just never got off to a good start and have foundered.

All games to make you think what you have is going to leave you empty handed on "the hunt of a lifetime"....

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
All you need is a 50 BMG
One planet, one rifle.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure the 260 ( especially in a short action) or the Creedmore are nice cartridges. However, I have been always so satisfied with the 6,5x55 that I am really struggling to see the added value of the 260/6,5.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This goes on and on. If a fellow has a good 6.5, 7x57, .270 then it would be pointless to sell them and go buy a .260, 7-08, or .280. there wouldn't be anything to gain. But if he is just starting out, getting one of the newer cartridges wouldn't be a loss either.
to tell the truth, until this thread came along, I'd never heard of the 6.5 creedmore. But then, I've lived a sheltered life.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The true test of a cartridge is if it will still be made and sold after 20 years of its introduction. Many cartridges just fades away as demand is lacking not to mention straight-out flops where a cartridge was offered in a wrong configuration or an incorrect twist rate. The WSSMs come to mind as a solution to a non existent problem - the .223 WSSM, .243 WSSM, and the .25 WSSM.

Some others just does not make enough difference to buy over what you own currently. Some calibers just prove not to be so popular like the .358 bore - such as the The .358 Winchester that was based on a necked up .308 Winchester case in 1955. The .350 Remington Magnum was introduced in 1965 by Remington Arms Company for the Model 600 rifle. It was later offered in the Model 660 and Model 700 rifles but was discontinued as a regular factory chambering in 1974 after a poor sales record.

Some cartridges may bear the title on being a monstrosity - While the belted .244 H&H Magnum could be considered the velocity/energy pinnacle of 6 mm/.240in cartridges, that power comes at the cost of significant muzzle blast, as well as shorter-than-average barrel life; in addition to which commercially loaded ammunition is expensive. Because of these drawbacks the cartridge never came into widespread popularity, and has never been offered as a chambering by any of the mass-market riflemakers

Pieter

Posts: 1045 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 14 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got the hots for a 6.5, but after looking around at available guns and the ballistics it occurred to me I had a couple of 250-3000s, a 6x45, a 7x57, and a 308 and they filled all the deer, sheep and antelope gaps as for as I could tell..I think a lot of other folks are well set up for small and medium bores..The Creedmore etc. will only be purchased by those that buy the hype, or of a nature to always buy something new, and perhaps a few will sell for the wives, daughters and sons for first gun, just maybe..I don't see it as an outstanding success as the best of the 6.5s, the Sweede has never set the US on fire.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The accuracy battle is between the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5×47 Lapua. Both are modern cart designs. But the Creedmoor is the much more popular hunting round. They are equally as accurate but the Creed is faster by a bit. . My hunting success is that it kills equally as well as the 06 . Just like the 6.5×55 has been doing for a century.
The great killing performance, light recoil and flat trajectory of all the mid velocity 6.5is far too good to not have it commonly chambered in all factory rifles. CZ keeps the 6.5×55 going, which is great. If Remington would pull their head out and keep up with the 260 Remington and all the other manufacturers continue along with the Creed. Hunters the world over would be benefited. . . However I'm concerned the 6.5 medium velocity round that takes the popularity cake may end up standing alone like the 270 Winchester has done with the 277 diameter bullet carts.
Far too much postulating has been done about the killing ability of similar rounds. Like the great debate of the 35 Whelan vs the 9.3×62 and 06vs 270 . 243 vs 6 mm Rem. 220 Swift vs 22/250 ect.ect.
Only those searching for a perfect cartridge will discover the 6.5 Creedmoor
Unless they have already settled on the 6.5×55, 260 Remington or 6.5×47 .

one of us
posted Hide Post
When Remington announced the .260, I immediately bought a reamer for it just because I felt it was a good, practical cartridge. While it didn't do a single thing the 6.5x55 would not do at least as well, it offered the advantage of unlimited brass availability; requiring only a FL sizing die.
I shot the 6.5x55 in "F" class with reasonable success and rifles I built for others, in 260, shot just as well.
My personal feeling was that both the 6,5x55 and the 260 were a little bit larger than necessary. I feel that a good 140 gr bullet at 2700 would do the trick and I could achieve this with a 6.5/250 (I also think one could accomplish the same with a 6.5 Jap but brass availability isn't so great. A 220 Swift necked up would probably work too).
The Creedmoor and the 6.5x47 Lapua are, to me , cartridges that provide an answer to a non-existent problem. Their sharper shoulders and minimum body taper are seen as great improvements in cartridge design which translates into better performance. I just happen to think neither attribute is a big deal.
Will the Creedmoor kill the 260? I can't imagine why it would. Just as neither cartridge will kill the 6.5x55.
Interestly enough, I have built a few lightweight 260's ( seven pounds and under, all up)and in each case the shooters commented that the recoil was on the snappy side. None of these guys had been what I consider to be pansies (up 'til now!) but they all felt the rifles kicked more than the same rifle in 7mm-08 would. Seems strange but I kind of think so too. Could be the use of slower powder in the 260 results in higher muzzle pressure so that, with each shooting 140's, the 260 does have a little more snap. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it my imagination or is the current crop of bullets and powder far beyond what was available when the vast majority of cartridges were introduced?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My main disappointment with the new 6.5/300 Wby is that it was not a 6.5/378 Wby.

I don't think I am a candidate for a 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Remington etc. Big Grin

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael McGuire:
My main disappointment with the new 6.5/300 Wby is that it was not a 6.5/378 Wby.

dancingThat's a real knee slapper, Mike.
beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

With a long case lenght of 74mm and with a huge case that hold 137 gr water capacity this would play havoc with barrel life to get all that chemical energy though a small hole of 6.5mm.

Pieter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully we will have your answer by 2065 AD, and Im sure it won't be written in stone...Comparing calibers has never been anything more than campfire talk.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many licks DOES it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll lollipop?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a custom .260 and was looking to rebarrel to .243 but when I looked into the price and avail of 6.5 creed match ammo, it got pretty attractive. I think the creed makes a lot of sense for someone who wants to have fun shooting at long distances and does not reload. Can get good deals on .308 match, but more recoil.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10generation:
I've got a custom .260 and was looking to rebarrel to .243 but when I looked into the price and avail of 6.5 creed match ammo, it got pretty attractive. I think the creed makes a lot of sense for someone who wants to have fun shooting at long distances and does not reload. Can get good deals on .308 match, but more recoil.

You can buy a 6.5 Creedmoor and a case of Hornady ammo and go have fun shooting at long distances, confident that if you're not hitting your targets, the problem isn't the ammo.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Pieter.
Only time will tell us if either one is losing or gaining in popularity. A good way to gage any trends is to observe it over time via online retail ammo offerings. I expect dealers stock what they can sell generally. Try a search for each at ammoseek (I have no affiliation) for current offerings from various dealers. They show a listings total near the top of the page for each caliber. Currently there are more than double the .260REM offerings than for 6.5 Creedmoor. A year from now, who knows.
quote:
Originally posted by Pieter die 4de:
We often hear that the 260 Rem should have been designed like the Creedmoor?
Looking at the two cases, the notion makes absolute sense.
But, will the 6.5 Creedmoor kill the 260 Rem?
I suspect marketing plays as big role as rifle offerings and the availability of factory ammo.
I am curious to hear all opnions on this subject and what the future holds for these two cartridges.

Pieter

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Enough about the Creedmoor. It's the most overhyped cartridge since the Blackout. I'll take a 260 Rem over one everyday of the week just because I'm sick of hearing about the Creedmoor. homer

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
Enough about the Creedmoor. It's the most overhyped cartridge since the Blackout. I'll take a 260 Rem over one everyday of the week just because I'm sick of hearing about the Creedmoor. homer

That's right, the 260 has 5% more case capacity, 1.2% more velocity potential (about 35fps), and is slightly less versatile with VLD bullets in short action magazines. Let's all shut up about the creedmoor, because it just sucks!
On a more serious note, I see no practical difference between the two as hunting rounds, which is what most of us are interested in, and long range accuracy potential isn't different enough to get all that excited about unless you are a true competitor. Therefore, I like hearing about both, and would gladly hunt or informally target shoot with either.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Accuratereloading.com The Accurate Reloading Forums THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS Hop To Forum Categories Rifles Hop To Forums Small Calibers Will the 6.5 Creedmoor kill the 260 Re

I'm holding out for the 6mm Creemoor or might just get a 6.5 Creedmoor AI. Or maybe a 7mm Creedmore. Or hell, the 30 Creed is appealing. Or how about a 26 Nosler Creed Winchester Dasher Ackley Improved A Square?

Jiminycrickets...

Phuqq it all, give me a 270. Or maybe a 30-06. No, 270. Wait, definitely a 30-06.

But I kinda like my 270. If I like my 270 can I keep my 270??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
these days there are hardly any reasons for new cartridges that replicate ones we already have.

Other, than selling new rifles to people who believe the stuff they read in magazines; and subscribe to the theory that a quarter-inch shorter bolt throw or an action that is that same amount shorter is totally marvelous.

Somebody has to pay for all that progress, and the firearms manufacturers have (they hope) figured out a way to make depreciation a marketing plus...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One argument was that these Short Magnums could be made on a shorter action and thus be cheaper, the weight saving, the better powder burn and the shorter bolt throw, etc. However their ammo cost more and are harder to get in many places. They punt higher velocities too, but all of them run at higher pressure levels and so velocity gains (which is immaterial at best) relate to higher pressures.

The Winchester Super Short Magnums, or WSSM’s are even more off the wall in appearance with their fat stubby looks and I see no benefit at all in them.

Pieter

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
The WSSMs have been completely abandoned by Winchester.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Nosler hired the son of a bitch and brought out the 26...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most people can't shoot the difference in the 260 and the Creed. Surely not enough to keep a cartridge alive. Both will keep kicking, but neither will be the 7mm Rem or .243 of the sales world. The 25 WSSM is actually a fantastic performer in a very short, handy, light gun. Not a 25-06, but a bit more than the Bob even at 'normal' pressures. I wish I had bought a thousand brass when they were trying to give em away.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am leaning towards this 6.5

http://www.weatherby.com/produ...5-300-wby-mag-4.html

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
The WSSMs have been completely abandoned by Winchester.

The folks at Winchester/Olin in East Alton, IL, tell me that they are gearing up for a run of ammo and brass for all three WSSM cartridges starting in March 2016.

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Creedmoor and the Lapua 6.5x47 both work well in a short action but the .260 is more suited to a long action.

Depending on your rifles throat length...

You can also get a useful increase in magazine length for the long 140gr VLD's by fitting a Wyatts extended magazine box.

This is precisely what i have done with my 6.5mm SAUM, which is essentially the same length as the .260 Remington. I can get the 140gr Berger seated so that the base of the bullet is a fraction above the shoulder line. If I was to use the standard Remington short action mag box, the bullet seats much deeper in the case.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing. I've owned several .260's over several years and I haven't spent the first moment angsting over the magazine length. Everything I've shot with them fell down dead so I guess they didn't get the memo neither. My furtherest shot was a measured 250 yards using a cartridge loaded with a 140gr Core Lokt.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I bought a Howa 1500 Cerakote Kryptek last week and it supposed to be here on Friday.

I bought six boxes of 6.5 creedmoor ammo and I am going to order another 20 when I figure out what it likes, price wise we are pretty close to reloading on factory Hornady case price ammo.

My reloading room is in boxes until our plans are made. So it doesn't make much sense to set up.

I'll post a report of it when I am shooting it.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geeze, another worthless, antagonistic thread. Don't care, got mine. Killed deer, caribou and enough varmints with my .260s. Splitting hairs guys....

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote