New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22-250 , now what??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a .22-250. I have no idea why. I just did it.

Now, tell me what ammo to shoot, what weight bullets, etc., etc.

I will shoot mostly targets to get ready for big game season. What else do you use a .22-250 for??

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used a 1:14 77V and same twist in a 700V for woodchucks and crows. Ideal to about 350 yds. We burned out the barrels on those two.

Only factory load I used much was the 55 gr Power-lokt HP. Have a pile of component PLHPs in 55 and 50 gr. They are the most explosive bullets in those weights I've ever used. Rarely exit a woodchuck.

The cartridge handles from 50 gr to the 70 gr SMP Speer just about the same, accuracy wise. More flexible in terms of powders than the .243 IME - 3031 right through 4350 burn rates make small groups.

Used Dad's V-Master Mk5 to kill some deer out to a bit over 200 yds using 55s, 70gr, and the 63 gr Sierra. Could see no difference between those weights. There were virtually no controlled expansion type .224" bullets back then. Deer didn't care. But about as much blood trail as with a .243, ie., not much.

The .22-250 is possibly the ideal dedicated coyote round. Would have no hesitation using one for open country small deer hunting. Fun to shoot, don't think you'll regret it.

Faster twist .22-250s are more common lately. If you have one of those, might alter bullet selection some.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed using my 22-250 for a variety of things. It's deer legal here. I've used cup & core soft points, partitions, & Factory federal fusion. My favorite bullet is the 60gr Hornady SP. My least favorite is the Partition. Both are ridiculously accurate with a max load of H4350. I don't have my notes handy , but Average MV was 3650 out of a 26" 1-14 Rem 700.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot very small groups with 52gr serria MK's and have killed thousands of PD dogs with them

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I shoot very small groups with 52gr serria MK's and have killed thousands of PD dogs with them

This bullet posted by P dog is also part of my best load with Two 22/250's. I power mine with H380.
If you will shoot deer with it I recommend the Barnes TSX and TTSX, takes the 22/250 to another level on deer.
If you shoot cup and core try the new Bonded bullet by Nosler, 64 grains protected point.
Not a fan of the 70 grain Speers they just didn't hold together well for me.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own three .22-250's, but rarely shoot them. If needing something in .22 caliber I choose the .222 or one of its derivatives (.221, .222 Magnum, .223) since any of them will give you virtually as much range as a .22-250 or a .220 Swift on small varmints. If I need to shoot further than a centerfire .22, then I go to something in the 6mm category. None of this is to say that there is anything wrong with the .22-250 (did I mention I own three of them?) Perhaps if hunting strictly for coyotes I might choose a .22-250 over a smaller .22 centerfire.

It does have a bit of an advantage when you step up to the game category. The plain old dirt-cheap Hornady 55 grain spire point will take prairie dogs and whitetails equally. It is a surprisingly deep-penetrating bullet. So, it is a good compromise for an all-around bullet for a .22-250. If loading specifically for deer, then a 60 grain Hornady Spire point would theoretically be even better. A 60 grain Nosler Partition would also do fine, as would a 64 grain Winchester, which WW represents as a game load in its factory ammunition. If you want to spend more money and work harder to come up with an accurate load, the monometals or bonded bullets will work fine (usually), but no better than cup-and-cores.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the help in justifying what I just bought. When I get it, I will post pics. It is quite something.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
We always used the Fed Prem 60-grain Partition load.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will try a couple of factory loads first - 60gr Partition per Mr. Helm and see if
Barnes as one as well....

Thanks for the help. I have usually been over gunned and never paid attention to the little calibers....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat it for coyotes. I shoot 50 grain ballistic tips in my coyote 22-250. Also use it on PDs, but barrel heating becomes an issue. Great cartridge.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did shoot one deer with mine, but for some reason prefer my .243 on deer. The 22-250 with cast bullets is great for shooting jackrabbits at night.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy has 22-250 with a long throat and a 1-7” custom barrel. Surprisingly, it shoots 55gr BT’s well under an inch. It's a real coyote slayer.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "why" is never required when buying a gun. :-)

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1054 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the faster 1-7 twist turns the 250 into a very nice antelope rifle.
it then becomes what the 224 valkerie is trying to be.

an off the shelf rifle won't probably have a 7 twist barrel and will generally like the lighter end of the bullet spectrum.
try some of those Winchester white box 45gr. bullets they have at wal-mart.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Michalski:
The "why" is never required when buying a gun. :-)

I get that!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO the .22-250 and .220 Swift deserve fast twist barrels and heavy bullets. We all know high BC bullets drift less in the wind, but in .224 the difference is much greater than bigger calibers. Heavy bullets have half the wind drift of 55 grain bullets.

That said, shooting your .22-250 for practice on big game is a great idea; I try and shoot ten rounds from my .223 at 100 yards every week. My goal is to put 100 percent within 5 inches of my point of aim (my standard for all my practice, whether it is long range practice prone or sitting or standing at closer ranges). After a bit of practice, it isn't too difficult.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great predator caliber. Some have used it on deer and antelope. I shoot Hornady or Federal in my three. 55 grain, 50 grain, and 60 grain bullets that are either SPs, Partitions or Trophy Bondeds. Last time I used one was in Mexico on Coatimundis.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Red deer hind, .22-250, 60-grain Partition, about 25 yards:

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Tikka T-3 Lite in .22-250. I shoot factory Hornady Ammo and it shoots basically in the same hole. I don’t hunt deer with it, but it is my go to coyote gun. This caliber can be used for many purposes

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
35.5 gr of Varget under a 50gr Vmax, a laser in my Savage model 12

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I Ackley Improved mine with a 10" twist barrel and whack coyotes as far as I can see them.

Just for the fun of it I loaded up some 69 grain SMKs and shot it our club's 1,000 yard match. Lot's of fun on a calm morning and no recoil.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I did an Ackley Imp. 40-degree shoulder with a 1/6 twist. It will stabilize the 80 G. Sierra, + it reaches way out there. With its speed the effects of gravity are negligible.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coyotes coyotes coyotes! You have yourself a great coyote rifle and you have a lot of em in CO... Get yourself a few hand calls and enjoy the off season calling them in.

Any 50-55gr bullet, the 53gr V-Max might be ideal at 3700fps and go shoot em!

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
The Indians use it on Elk. I shoot Coyotes and Ground Hogs.I routinely pop rocks around 700 yards.I use 50 gr. Hornady V-Max

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Model 77 VT in 2005. First rifle I everhandloaded for. It really, really likes those 40round white box winchesters. I've loaded just about every Hornady bullet for it, and 50gr BTs. Got two boxes of Federal 60gr Partitions for 14.99 a box so had to pick them up. It stabilizes them and accuracy is acceptable. I'll probably take a doe with it this year. My only regret in the gun is that it's a 26" barrel, 11 pound monstrosity, so it doesn't see much field use. I wish they had offered the M77 Predator at the time. I would have gone more of a sporter route. But the tan laminate wood and matte grey stainless sold me.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I just bought a .22-250. I have no idea why. I just did it.

That's funny. Big Grin I picked up a Savage FV 22-250 recently that I still need to go shoot. I plan on using it for practice/fun and varmints.

How about them pics?

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
i had a tc encore with a 27" MGM heavy factory barrel (it was 1 in 7 or 8" i forget) in 22-250 ai. it was my far range rifle, anything over 350 yards. i shot groundhogs, foxes, 'yotes and a whole bunch of other targets. i shot 3 or 4 deer with it, but they were 50 yards and less and they were all head shots. to shoot small game it was a 68gr hornady bthp, to shoot targets and deer it was a 80gr sierra matchking bthp.

it was boring accurate. didn't matter what powder or bullet, i was guaranteed 1/2" and under at 100 yards(10 shots/benched). i sold her and i got a 23" MGM heavy factory barrel in 500 linebaugh. its boring accurate too!!! i can do a 450gr lfn gc with a charge of hs-6 and it will 1"+/- at 100 yards(5 shots/benched).

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a 60 gr. Hornady, SP or HP the 22-250 is a damned impressive deer killer, Ive used it on both mule deer and Whitetail,including culling on some extensive cull hunts.

I know one lady rancher that shoots her elk every year off the haystack out her kitchen door, and she says she always gets and instant kill with the Hornadys I loaded for her with heart/lung shots at about 50 to 75 yards, and I don't doubt it, she still has a half box left..

Ive shot too many Mule deer with it to doubt its ability on animals under 200 lbs, every one was an instant kill, can't say the same for most other caliber!! Ive witnessed other using it..Everyone I know that has actually used it to any degree agrees, and that is a number of ranchers and ranchers kids. Most tell me its good to 300 yards..

I don't use it anymore as its biggest fault is blood shot meat, the price you pay for excess velocity..and I recommend only broadside shots off the shoulder..For this reason its not a deer caliber for everyone, the 30-06, 270 class of calibers is best for take what comes shots for sure..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote