New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 hornet cast loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone mess with cast lead bullets in a 22h?
I just loaded up some 44 grain Hp gas checked bullets to try in an anschutz rifle.
The rifle is an easy sub 1”with Berger HPs.
What kind of accuracy can I expect.
The manual says I should get 2300 FPS with this load, so a bit better than 22 mag energy.
Any experience shooting varmints with cast loads.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't try to push them very hard. I'd suggest AA1680 and pistol primers to work up something that shoots clean. For me, casting is more about cost/volume than performance. So personally I'd go with a tumble lubed ~50gr WW and some relatively light load in a hornet for plinking and practice at pretty short ranges. Once you're messing with gas checks there are a lot of good affordable 22 jacketed bullets out these days for a comparable price.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A neighbor where I lived 35 years ago had a Hornet, a Ruger as I recall. We loaded cast bullets for it, using the Lyman cast Bullet manual. the loads for it were about 22WMRF level and used fast burning powder- mostly Unique I think. No one had a chronograph in those days, so we just went by what the manual said. we could hit ground squirrels with it out to a little over 100 yards and it was considerably quieter than the jacketed loads.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a hornet. I have shot cast in .222, .223 and 22-250. Most in the 2000fps-2200fps. My .223 just doesn't seem to want to shoot them. The .22's and 22-250 seem to do pretty good with most all loadings. I shoot the 59 grain RCBS bullet which is designed for a gas check. I find no difference with or without the gas check. Gas checks have gotten too expensive and I have done enough experimenting without them that I question their value.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot them in my hornet at 1100fps just for the grins of it.

Killed a deer with that load a bang one jump dead deer distance 55 steps.

Yes it is a legal deer round in Wis.

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tested the cast lead bullets today. It was pretty cold with a foot of snow on the ground, so I was brief and not as meticulousas I should be in testing the loads.
I used 10.5 grains 1680, Fed SP primer, and 44 grain case HPGC bullet from Reeds in OKC.
Did not take my chronograph. Shot several 50 yard only groups. The load was just under an inch at 50 yards.
Rifle was an Anschutz 1730 sporter.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot more cast than anything else in my Hornet. (Actually a 1-9" twist German kiplauf in 5.6x35R, using Hornet dies and brass. The fast twist allows for heavier than normal cast bullets.) My go-to load for it is the 55grain Lee Bator, gas checked, over 6 grains 2400 and a small pistol primer. Consistent sub-1" at 50 yards with enough 1/2" groups to make me smile a lot. More like 1½" at 100, subject to all the factors that make 100 yard shooting with a .22RF a sporty proposition. It is a major squirrel terrorizer.

Posts: 329 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 45 gr. H&N German round nose cast bullets in the 22 Hornet, they are copper plated making it real easy keeping the barrel clean.

I use 5 grs. of Unique, Remington 6 1/2 primer, W-W brass for a load with similar recoil to a 22 WMR and they shoot @ 1" at 100 meters out a Weihrauch Model 66 heavy barrel 22 Hornet.

My Go-To practice round for shooting 50 meter running boar target.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote