THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Looking for a quality .243 rifle

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a quality .243 rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for recommendations on a bolt action rifle in .234 win caliber that has a nice walnut stock, smooth bolt cycling, reliable extraction, and as accurate as it gets out of the box without needing a bedding job. Thanks.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair or Blair Worldwide Hunting
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sauer 202,Sako 85, Tikka t3 hunter(mine has a nice stock)

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Remington 700, Ruger 77 and Winchester 70 from the 60's and 70's

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAKO 579.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Tikka T-3. I have seen several with nice wood.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new model 70s are great ! you have to look hard to find good wood. Though , maybe aKimber !...

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tjroberts:
The new model 70s are great ! you have to look hard to find good wood. Though , maybe aKimber !...

Anyone knows about the Winchester 70 quality since production moved to Portugal? I'd imagine it would improve but have no idea.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair or Blair Worldwide Hunting
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cooper, if you want to spend the money.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Brian
Winchester M70's are hard to beat. A M70 Featherweight current production in .243 would be a well built nice handling rifle.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian, I have a .243 Browning "A" bolt custom made for the 2007 shot show. I can send pictures/details to your e-mail address if you have an interest.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1052 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have had a circa 1970 Win mod 70 for many years and many deers, no complaints. Were it not for the backwards safety I'd also suggest a CZ. The backwards safety kills the deal for me.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Savage Arms 11 Trophy Predator Hunter Bolt Action Rifle
Its Not walnut. Out Of the box with my reloads 100gr nosler and imr4350 I could over look that its has a fake stock.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Sako Forester hands down,,still haunts me to this day!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The question does beg to be asked, with the .260 and the 7-08 available, why would anyone opt for a .243?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted Hide Post
Maybe around 1,000+ fps if someone is looking to shoot varmints also? That is why I opted for one.....

Forgot to add: I'd recommend a Model 70 Coyote.

My .25-06 shoots 1/4" all day long.....

Posts: 82 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Model 70 FWT.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I like my 7mau M70 fwt, jury is still out on accuracy. I'd also look at a Savage M14. Steel DBM and beautiful wood, accu trigger.

Posts: 6379 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Sauer 202, old Sako (not a 75 or 85) or a Sauer 90.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
If you want to hunt with it get a Savage..If you want to admire it go custom Wink

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BoomRM:
Maybe around 1,000+ fps if someone is looking to shoot varmints also? That is why I opted for one.....

Forgot to add: I'd recommend a Model 70 Coyote.

Don't know what medicine you're using to gain 1000+ fps but please don't sit next to me at the firing range.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
Sako Forester hands down,,still haunts me to this day!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Don't know what medicine you're using to gain 1000+ fps but please don't sit next to me at the firing range.

There is a lot of versatility with the old 243. When dropping her down to a 55 grain bullet, she really makes the 260 and 7-08 look lethargic. Not all of us are wrapped up in high BCs.

p.s. If I'm at a public range, I'll sit at whatever open bench I choose, thank you..... Smiler

My .25-06 shoots 1/4" all day long.....

Posts: 82 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I agree with you BoomRM the .243 is quite versatile in that respect.
Getting about 4000 fps out of the 55 grain bullets and 2800 or better out of 100 grain bullets, it does quite well. My sons .243 is shooting 85 grain bullets at 3100 or so and 90 grain bullets at over 3000fps, drops deer like someone turned of the power switch.
Very little recoil, quite a killing machine if you ask me.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Or for a bit more, the Super Grade has some decent wood these days.
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Brian
Winchester M70's are hard to beat. A M70 Featherweight current production in .243 would be a well built nice handling rifle.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
FWIW - my best friend got his son a Mossberg ATR 243 package with a scope and it's a great rifle and accurate.

I have a Howa 1500 (24" barrel) for my 243 with an Accurate Innovations stock (Midway used to sell them years ago and got a sale one for $200 or so) along with a Timney trigger and Weaver 2-10x38 scope. Shoots 1/4 MOA with handloads - 100 gr Sierra GameKing at 2.650" with 41.7 gr IMR-4350).

I recently changed the scope mounts from fixed ones to Talley disconnect so I could mount a second scope - a Weaver 4.5-14x40 - to use for Varmint hunting with a different load.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3038 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
100 gr Sierra GameKing at 2.650" with 41.7 gr IMR-4350

Excellent load!
That is what I loaded for my now ex wife for deer and antelope. Dropped nearly everything in its tracks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian564:
quote:
Originally posted by tjroberts:

Anyone knows about the Winchester 70 quality since production moved to Portugal? I'd imagine it would improve but have no idea.

I have a new M70 Featherweight made in Portugal and imported by BACO. The quality seems similar to another one that I own that was made in South Carolina. Apparently they are both well made FN products. The bluing is good but the stock is just the normal no-figure walnut. Nice rifle and priced about right.

One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
Winchester mdoel 70 compact or Ruger M77 RSI International. Both are handy as can be.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Well, the wood is wrong, but everything else is what you ordered (didn't ask about
weight, but heavy) in a Savage VLP. I have three, one being in .243 and it was a
shooter right out of the box. It's shot several 1/4" groups with its favorite load
of 105A-max propelled by RL17 @ 3035-3045fps. I do prefer laminates anymore, but
nice quality walnut comes in at a close second. If something only comes in plastic,
and I really want the rifle, I go to Boyd's to replace the tupperware! And they do
have some decent walnut, too.

P.S. Whoops, missed this:
"and as accurate as it gets out of the box without needing a bedding job."
I bed about everything prior to shooting it. Think you're expecting a near-miracle,
there.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote