Find
Notify
Tools

6mm rn and a story.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I local lady knocked on the door of the club a few weeks ago with a luggage cart of "stuff". Not many people know we are even in the neighborhood but her husband was a hunter..so.

She dropped off an RCBS JR2 press, see pic below., and a scale, since sold and a few old cardboard boxes of Dies (25-06 243 necker and CH 8mm)

Also amongst the goods was a box of Hornady 6mm 100gr RN. I've never seen 6mm RN before.

To make a long story longer does anyone have loads for the 100gr RN.

nice aluminum primer tray

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 100 grain 6mm round nose was popular back in .244 Rem days since it would stabilize better in the slow twist of the early .244 Remingtons.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 70’s I shot those in a 243. My dad was a round nose fan for deer hunting and I killed a few deer with that bullet with a rather sedate load of 33 gr. Of 3031. It was very accurate in more than one rifle. It’s a good bullet if you don’t push the range on it.

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 243 pre 64 mod 70 featherweight liked that 100 gr rn Hornady bullet for deer. I still have a box of these Round Nose bullets. I used 4350 pwd , but can't remember the amount. The amount of energy released completely on deer and would flip the deer over. I was using the 243 on a deer hunt and a couple of Mexican Red Wolves came along. This was 1960 and they were legal to kill at that time. I had one mounted and it is a trophy in my grandson's house. The rancher refunded my lease money when he learned of my removing of these wolves. They were lots of them at that time.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Stabilize better in a slower twist"??

Dave Manson

Posts: 678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah.
Remington dropped the proverbial pooch on the 6mm Rem [err 244 rem]and under twisted it for longer bullets making it pretty much a varmint rifle.

Winchester come out with their 243 and twist rated the barrel faster and called it a deer/varmint rifle.

Remington responded by changing the name and speeding up the twist rate of the better round but it was long since too late and there was about a half million 243's burning out barrels by then.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Rich, those Hornady 6mm RNs are woefully outdated.

Since I am also woefully outdated, you might consider selling them to me! Wink

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DManson:

Dave Manson

The round nose design has a longer bearing surface and will stabilize better than the same weight bullet in a spire or pointed soft point.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer also made a 6mm round nose weighing 105 grains.
Dad shot a boat load of red deer with them. IIRC he pushed them rather sedately with 4895 (he used that in all his calibers). Those Speers certainly got the job done. Rifle was a 601 in 243.
I think my last 2000 Hornady 7mm RN's will see me out!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A round nose is shorter than its counterparts of equal weight and can stabilize better.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ended up with a few hundred of the Hornady 100 grain RN in a trade some time back. I'd like to try them in my 6x222 or 6x45. I need to load a few and give them a go.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still shoot the 6mm RN but my box is getting empty. I shoot them in a G2 contender, 6MM TCU, 20" carbine barrel and get about 2500 to 2550. BLC2 around 26.5 grs. If you don't like them I will buy them from you or trade you some of the old style .30 caliber, 150 gr. silvertips. (The real ones). The reason I like them is they kill deer well and don't tear up much meat but you have to pretend your a bow hunter and get up close.

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
quote:
Originally posted by DManson:

Dave Manson

The round nose design has a longer bearing surface and will stabilize better than the same weight bullet in a spire or pointed soft point.

I think you better read up on rifling twists and bullets. The longer the bullet (not the heavier) is what dictates having a faster twist. Bullet bearing surface doesn't have anything to do with it. Take the Sierra 63 grains semi-point. This was conceived because it's shorter then a same weight bullet that is pointy and they done this for the slower twist .224 caliber rifles. Another thing about round noses. You'll find they aren't full bearing surface till you get around the cannelure area. I'm not sure why Hornady made that 243 round nose, but my guess would be because round nose bullets were though to be a better hunting bullet then the pointy ones for expansion and also thought to bust brush better.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
My brother had a little Mauser K in 250-3000 Savage back when we were teenagers shooting a lot of red deer and chamois. The slow twist of the Mauser would not stabilise 120gr hollow points but gave fine accuracy with Hornady 117gr round nose projectiles.
I didn't have a chronograph back then so don't know what velocity we were getting from our reloads but they sure worked well, putting big red deer down with authority.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 117 gr. Hornady RN soft point was/is designed for the 25-35 clan, I am one of that clan btw, so I also used/tried them in my Savage 99s 250s with the 1X10 twist and it was accurate as can be and a killer, even on elk at up to 200 yards, with a broadside shot, it killed quickly on deer and elk. These were the guns of my youth, and still get a decent workout today, mostly on deer, antelope.

Based on that I tried them in a number of Savage 250s with the 1x14 twist and they worked great in both the 1x10 and 1x14 in most of my 99s, which goes against the accepted of all that's holy.. The same 1X14s 99s would not stabilize a 100 gr. ballistic tip, it just keyholed them all?? and any other 100 gr. "spitzer".

My conclusion, for lack of a better opinion, its not bullet weight that caused the inaccuracy of the 1x14 with heavy bullets, it was the LENGTH of the bullet?? Perhaps not scientific but a reoccurring fact in my case??

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray or anyone....

Has anyone tried the 117 gr.round nose in the 25-06?

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner tried them in a 257 AI. They were explosive at 2800 FPS. Fragmented Badly. I would think 25-06 and the 257 AI's velocities would be similar.

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote