New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77 RSI 250 Savage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just curious from the people who actually have had one of these and shot it what the most accurate bullet weight was.

My sole experience with the round was in a quite old Savage 99 and I cobbled together 20 rounds of ammo on 22-250 brass, can't recall which bullet, but it was pretty dismal.

Looks like in factory ammo, there's one weight option.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have had mine since about 1987 and have killed many Deer with it as well as several Coyotes. Mine seems to prefer 100 gr bullets, it really shines with the old Winchester 100 gr Silvertips (Ballistic Tips were very good as were 120-125 gr bullets), I believe they discontinued the Silvertips several years ago but I still have about 45 rounds rat holed back which should last till my days are up.
The old Savages had a twist that was better with the 87 gr bullets and most say they won't stabilize the 100 gr or higher bullets.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! that’s good news since the only factory ammo I could find - Hornady and Remington - was 100gr. I doubt I’ll keep ut long enough to load for but it sure is a sweetheart of a rifle. Although whoever put a 30mm tube 50mm objective scope on that little rifle was silly.

After the fact, I’d read that about 99’s. I have higher hopes for this rifle.

Roger

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I bet that was a sight to see with that big scope on it. Not sure when yours was made but at one time Ruger was getting some sub standard barrels before they started making their own. These RSI's can be finicky, there used to be some videos on U Tube that addressed some of the problems with them.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ruger started in house hammer forging barrels in 1990. Before that they used wilson; the lowest quality barrel made.
Down there wth some other low to average quality makers that I can name but won't, here. Out of ten, 6 would shoot fine for hunters, two would shoot very poorly and two would shoot sub moa. QC was non existent, apparently, but most hunters did not notice. And they were cheap.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a PM...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This one's later than i thought - 1991. I've long since learned to never expect great accuracy out of a Ruger rifle. I've got an early 7x57 that's a wonderful shooter but the other 2 i had weren't nor was any other 77 I ever had any better than OK. we'll see.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I just purchased one that is a 1980s vintage and my initial loads used 85-grain Nosler ballistic tips, 87-grain Sierra spitzer boat-tails, and 110-grain Burgers with IMR 4895. All three bullets would print 1-1/2" or less 5-shot groups at 100 yards, leading me to believe that it is not super picky.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
For Bullets, it's not so much the weight but the length.
If your twist is 1-14 it may or may not stabilize 100 or heavier bullets that are very long. Like most spritzer or spire point bullets. A round nose such as Hornady's 117 gr RN is very short for it's weight. So shoots well in most twist rates. If you have a 1-10 twist most any bullet should work well.
I have a Savage II that wears a 250 Savage barrel and shoots most every thing I've tried well.
Like any thing you may have to find what your rifle likes best.
So far on mine most are under two inches at 100. Some closer to an inch. I need to do more testing to determine just what shoots best. But even at two inches I can hunt with it.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you put it up for sale, put me first on the list, Very likely I will take it.

A favorite gun in a favorite caliber...I had one in Stainless and wood and the value went sky high as it was a special run, and beautiful and in a 250-3000, and I let greed raise its ugly head and sold it for a batch of gold..dammit it all!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve E.:
I have had mine since about 1987 and have killed many Deer with it as well as several Coyotes. Mine seems to prefer 100 gr bullets, it really shines with the old Winchester 100 gr Silvertips (Ballistic Tips were very good as were 120-125 gr bullets), I believe they discontinued the Silvertips several years ago but I still have about 45 rounds rat holed back which should last till my days are up.
The old Savages had a twist that was better with the 87 gr bullets and most say they won't stabilize the 100 gr or higher bullets.

Steve........

Steve the Ballistic Silvertips you speak of in your post are merely Nosler Ballistic Tips with a "moly" style coating and a Silver plastic tip in lieu of whatever color Nosler uses in .25 cal bullets.
Just get some 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and you are all set.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned 3 of them and they all shot well indeed. best bullet for accuracy was the 90 gr. Sierra HP in every case and in almost any 250..I also had good luck with the 100 gr. Corelokts and old Silvertips and I have a supply of those..I also liked the 85 grs. GS Customs and its a sho nuff deer bullet..Barnes now makes a good monolithic in that weight...

My only 250 to today is an incredibly 1920 take down and a later 99A carbine straight grip..My boys absconded with a 99EG and a 99f in 250s..Those RSI 250s sold like a free breakfast at a Mormon gathering. I sold all mine for high dollar pricing, and they are still going up...

Yesterday I ordered a special run of the Ruger #1A fwt with 24: barrel in 250-3000..Lipskys has them, but their distributers sell them for about $400 less..

Got it and shot it and its shooting 1 inch with everything so far and with a couple of bullets its shooting 1/2", I remember the day when a one inch shooter of anykind was just short of a miracle, today its pretty common..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:

Steve the Ballistic Silvertips you speak of in your post are merely Nosler Ballistic Tips with a "moly" style coating and a Silver plastic tip in lieu of whatever color Nosler uses in .25 cal bullets.
Just get some 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and you are all set.

Perhaps the poster is referring to the older, aluminum capped Winchester Silvertips?

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot deer and elk with the old Silver tips and corelokts,100 gr. bullets without a single problem in the 250-3000 factory loaded ammo...I still have 14 boxes of each or about that anyway..The 250 is an easy 300 yard deer rifle with these bullets, and 200 yards on elk but prefer 100 yards on the elk.but today I use the 06 or 338 on elk..but still shoot deer with the 250 most of the time, its my go to deer rifle.

I now have 2 250-3000, the new 1-A 24" fwt and my old take down Savage that shoots so good Id never sell it, had it for years..Its 1x14 but shoots 115 gr. RN Horndays into 1/2 inch and 90 gr. sierras into one hole almost every time..My 1A shoots almost that..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120