New
Find
Notify
Tools

222 REM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Found agood deal on a 222rem. I've been looking for a bolt action 223 in a heavy varmint rifle. I found a great deal on a very lightly used 222. I want it but, do I need it? I'm already looking at brass and dies, so I guess my mind is made up. Any help with loads and bullets would be helpful.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
if you don't own one then you need one.
40gr v max 10grs imr4227 2000f/s great turkey lod sighted in at 75yrds.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 55 grain cup and core Winchester bulk packed or Remington bulk packed or core lokt all do the job. I also shoot 58 grain RCBS cast bullets and they seem to shoot well with whatever load I've tried. With the jacketed cup and cores, have been with many youth that have taken deer--one shot every bit as dead as with bigger guns. Bunches and bunches of jackrabbits with the cast bullets.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
E-Mail me your E-Mail address and I'll send you all my data. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of the best cartridges ever made h335 , h322, rl7 50 gr bullet

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I use TAC and 45 grain bullets in my Sako 222, FYI!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"It's not hard to make a .223 shoot well, but it's hard to make a .222 not shoot well."

There is no real reason that the .222 has to be held to lower pressures than the .223 in similar rifles. It will shoot a 50 grainer just about as fast as a .223 will fling a 55 grainer. Pretty much any bullet from 40 to 55 grains works fine, but I prefer the classic load of a 50 at 3200 fps for most everything in my several .222's. H335, 4895, AA2200, and a dozen other powders work great in a .222.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded for three Rem 700's, one 788, and an A-bolt II in 222 Rem. Only one of the 700's couldn't shoot less than .5" 5 shot groups. I use to have an arbor press and Wilson neck and seating dies. I seat 50 grain Nosler BT's to kiss the lands under as much Benchmark as possible, which is usually 24 to 25 grains with the discontinued Gold Metal Match nickel plated Federal brass. With the shorter throats I tap the bottom of filled case on the table to get the Benchmark to settle and make room in the neck for the bullet. Fed 210M primers. This is my coyote load. Bullets go in clockworks, but rarely exit, with massive internal damage and one tiny hole in the pelt. I've only gone coyote hunting once in the last 10 years, due to my busy oilfield job, but now that I'm out of the oil field, that will change. I have to admit that I love the 222 purely out of sentimentality, as an 80 year old benchrest shooter (Irv Riegles) introduced me to the 222, and taught me how to handload. There is just no practical difference in accuracy with factory rifles and properly tunes loads in 222 and 223. Plus the 223 has plentifull brass and a slight velocity advantage. I love the 222, but the 223 is the logical choice.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One can never be a true rifleman or a red blooded American unless he has in the past or presently owns a 30-30 Win. mod. 94 carbine and a .222 Remington! tu2 old

I only own two varmint rifles, and have used them both on deer on occasion. A 222 Rem. mod. 600, somewhat modified, and my SAKO L-461 custom rifle in 6x45...See no need for anything else. H-322 is the killer for accuracy 99 times out of a 100 with the 222 and 223.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm bringing it home, and looking forward to a lot of testing. I really enjoy working up loads for new rifles. I almost wish we had prairie dogs in Arkansas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had one. But, I learned the lessons well with a .222mag and now .223. IF you want to save the pelts use lighter bullets. 35gr IF under 150yard, 40gr for all the rest. Neither will exit, a 50 and 55 will exit and blow big holes too.

Good luck and much fun with your new find.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned and shot a couple different 222 Rem's for almost 5 decades. I cannot imagine being without one.

I built my first English walnut stocked rifle on a Sake Vixen circa 1975. I still have the rifle and the kids (all married adults now) use it often for practice in preparation for big game hunting but it lacks the accuracy it once had since I've abused it with over 10K rounds and poor cleaning habits. I'm going to re-barrel it for sure.

My favorite has always been the 50 grain Hornady spire with H322 or RL-7.

What a sweet little cartridge!

Have fun with it.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One word of caution: you need to be extra careful if you also have a .223 as a .222 cartridge will chamber and fire in a .223. Don't ask me how I know.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
One word of caution: you need to be extra careful if you also have a .223 as a .222 cartridge will chamber and fire in a .223. Don't ask me how I know.

How was the group....LOL

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
loading for 222 is as fun as any other cartridge.
I currently load for 2 of them, A modern action full stock Mannlicher Steyr and an oldie but goodie Ithaca HB made in Finland.
With the steyr I have been loading 40gr vmax bullets with a magnum primer and 21.5gr of reloder 7.
Vihtavouri 133 powder works great with 50gr TNT bullets.
And the HB is currently loving the 55gr SPSX Hornady bullet with only 23gr of Win. 748 powder and a CCI 450 magnum primer.
My old Kimber 222 custom Classic loved shooting 50 gr TNT with 23.1 gr of h322

my favorite brass is some Lake city that was in 223 that a fine old gentleman re worked into 222.
FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites! I load for three different .222s in the house. The 1 in 14 twists like 50 grainers and Ive got a Ruger #1 with a 9 twist that seems to digest anything I put in it...

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a .222 along to Africa. Very handy with duiker, klipspringer and dik-dik, and maybe even a Tommie, if you have a clear shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot PG in Africa on cull, and deer in the USA with a .222 and the 60 gr. Hornady..Mostly head shots on the cull but also a few Kudu cows behind the shoulder to see the results, in every case it put them down either on the spot or within 20 yards. The PH said, "well boy, what didja expect? nothing lives with its heart blown about?"

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .222 is a deer rifle. I have not polluted its bore with varmint bullets.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carlson Hiway,
Good on ya mate! tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My .222 is a deer rifle. I have not polluted its bore with varmint bullets.

Your .222 is also a splendid Sako L461 Vixen, possibly the finest small-cartridge rifle and action ever built. Judging from the posts on the Sako Collectors Club forum www.sakocollectors.com, it appears that Sakos are extremely well regarded in both Australia and New Zealand.

My ten year-old grandson killed his first deer last fall with a Sako L461 loaded with 60-grain Nosler Partitions. It happened to be a .223 rather than a .222, but the deer didn't seem to know the difference.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A man who appreciates an old Sako. Nice.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Yep the Trebley will get the job done, took this Buck in the week end with 63gr Sierra semi point #1370 broke rib on the way in & shoulder on the out but stayed under the skin, it was raining heavily so he was soaking wet, I loaded a bunch of these in 223 for chopper shooters & was told when they changed over from the standard 55gr it was like using a 243 & this was on some fairly big Red Stags

I have 4 small Sakos right now but have had tens of them over the years from 222Rem to 6mm/223 looking at doing a 357Max Rimmless on one soon !

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a very fine fallow buck Sarge, looks like you shot it in your backyard...

What bullet is the 63 grain? Is that in a .222 or a .223? Just wondering if it will definately stablise in a .222

OK I just looked it up - is it a Sierra? I would like to try it out.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Funny when you show a photo of any game shot people always comment on how open or easy it looks & they can only see a few feet & half the time you drag them into the open for the photo or they were in the clearing as that is where you hunted them to, heavy bush all around & the Does stayed out a bit later as it was raining & foggy giving them a false sense of security !

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great buck. Hunting is good in morning fog they stay out later.
Why did you delete your photo?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what loads are you fellows using? I'm getting pretty good groups so far, but the only powder I have on hand for this round is IMR8208xbr. the best groups so far have been with 40gr Nosler Varmageddons. I'm ready to buy more powder, just looking for recomendations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the .222 will digest a wide variety of powders and do well, however, H322 is one of the best. A fine ball powder that works well with the small case.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found with my 222's using any of the recommended powders, what wont work was the question. This was true of both cast and jacketed bullets. My .223 will shoot jacketed but not cast.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Just starting to load for my first .222 Remington, a Savage 24V. Results look promising so far with IMR 4198 and 50 Gr Hornady SX's. 748 and 55 grainers are also often recommended.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank's for the replies,I now have H335 and H322 I hope to load some bullets and try them next week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use H4198 which does very well for me with 50 - 55 grain bullets, and including the 60 grain Hornady.

I also have used compressed loads of Varget (in Norma brass which can hold the most if you trickle it in) which does well also with 55 grainers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Life is too short to be trickling powder. H322 and H355 both meter so well that you can set your measure and just verify every 10th drop or so. Does well with a dipper also. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine loves 22.5 gr of H322 and 52 gr Sierra Matchkings.

Posts: 290 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not too happy witht the new Sakos, but the old L Series and especially the L461 is my all time favorite for a small varmint cartridge..My 6x45 was built on a round top L-461, its my walk about varmint rifle, and its killed its share of African PG and our deer and Pronghorn antelope..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
What Jmbrown said is the same load I use in my 222 Rem. Always under a 1/2 inch group or better.

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jmbrown:
Mine loves 22.5 gr of H322 and 52 gr Sierra Matchkings.

I prefer the 53gr (flatbased)matchking

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sierra 50gr Blitz kings-----vaporizes praire dogs

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a Sako Riihimaki L46 in .222 today. It is absolutely beautiful, with a full Mannlicher stock, super light, and looks like it seldom been used. I've ordered two new magazines for it as well as original Sako rings. I'm going to mount a Bushnell 3x9x40 on it, then take it to the range. I'll post pictures ASAP.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was really fun to pick this nice sako up in 222. Loaded some Re7 and 50 gr sierra's was great fun.
Elton

Posts: 239 | Location: branson mo | Registered: 28 April 2010Reply With Quote