Find
Notify
Tools

Un Italiano preciso...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted
…which in Italian means (according to a handy online translation program) “an accurate Italian”.

I’ve been spending some time over the past couple of weeks working with a friend’s Beretta Model 500 in .222 Remington, an ‘80s vintage sporter from one of that company’s various forays into proprietary “boutique” bolt guns. The heart of this trim little darling is the tiny Sako AI action (albiet with a round top instead of the Sako-standard integral scope dovetails). I’ve been a sucker for the AI actions for years as they combine a true small (.223 sized) action and wonderful, fully adjustable triggers.

After a good bore cleaning, checking the bedding and setting the trigger up where I wanted it, I set about finding what the little rifle wanted to eat. Since it wears a 1-in-14 twist barrel, I figured I couldn’t go too heavy on bullet weight…but we’d see.

Yesterday morning I had this sexy little Italian job down at the range again to further evaluate a couple of loads that had shown promise. I squeezed off the first five shots into a 3/8” group and was more than satisfied…but after a bit I started wondering if maybe the first group was a fluke. So I shot another five shot group and shaved off 1/16” of an inch…down to 5/16”!

Gina Lollobrigida, eat your heart out!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the 222, always accurate.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on some fine groups and recognizing that it takes five shots to make a group!

one of us
posted Hide Post
With the way that little Beretta-Sako shoots, and a hamburger from Owl Drug, things just can't get much better around Coleman, can they?

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Ain't that the truth! Next time you're coming thru here on your way to Hamlin, let me know. I'll buy!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The triple deuce is my favorite varmint cartridge. I’ve owned several rifles in that caliber, nothing as gorgeous as that. FWIW, I grew up in Callahan county. Papa used to hunt turkey and squirrels along pecan bayou years ago. These days I imagine that 222 would make a decent pig and deer killer in the same country.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote