New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for 6mm cartridge
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a mauser 98 action I want to have barreled. I would like to go with something 6mm. I have heard that 6mm/06 and 6mm/284 can be barrel burnes. To what extent does this happen. Can cryo treating slow this down? Has anyone had any experience with 6mm remington or 6mm rem imp.? Can they be barrel burners too? Are there any cartridge that I am not aware of that would be right in this range?

Posts: 53 | Location: International Falls,MN | Registered: 11 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent results with the 6mm Remington. Its accurat, shoots flat, work great on deer size game, and is easier on barrels than a 6/06 or 6/284.
If you want more speed, consider a 6MM Ackley Improved.
Good Shooting
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do it different do it Enfield. 6mm 303 Brit I will let you know how it works when I get my action and barrel back.

RR

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 6MM Rem. I had one and shouldn't have gotten rid of it. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recently I was considering the 25/284 and opted for the 6mm Ackley Improved rather than the 6mm/284. There is less brass work, fire form and outside turn necks and that is it. I will be shooting 87 grain V-Max bullets from Hornady. With the B.C. of almost .500 they should shoot very flat @ 3400/3500fps. The cartridges based on the 284 are good but for my money this is the one for me. "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an older Remington 700 Varmint Special (the one with the pressed checkering)in 6mm Rem., and I like it. It does seem to be persnickety about what powder it likes -- so far, the best I've found for it is IMR 4064. 41 grains of that powder in Remington or Winchester cases with Federal 210 primers and 70 gr. Sierra match bullets gives me a load that will frequently produce groups of under 0.4 inch at 100 yards.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 03-12-2001).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 243 imp Mod 700 vls. I like it alot.I neck down 308 brass which after neck turning gives me fitted necks in a standard chamber. Shoots 70gr Sierra match at 3700fps with excellent results. Don't rule this one out.

------------------
Growler

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Rockhammer>
posted
I have a 6MM Rem cal. Ruger Mod. 77 and it is great. After many years I have taken up coyote hunting again and this is my rifle. Used 220 Swift years and years ago but decided to go with something bigger. It is accurate, flat shooting and versatile. Better than a Swift. Try it, you can always chamber it bigger if you don't like it.

<Slamfire>
posted
I'd vote for the old .244. It had a bit more capacity than the 6mm. When Remington changed the headstamp they thickened the brass, and my .243 Norma cases had as much capacity as the 6mm Remington cases. However, I never saw enough difference to make the .244/6mm superior to the .243. I've no experience with the Lee Navy cartridge, and the British cartridges were over bore capacity.

------------------
Guns cause crime, which is why there has never been a mass slaying at a gun show.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend the 6mm Remington. It is a fine round as it is. I have had several over the years, but my favorite is my current Rem 40XB-KS. Current load is a 75 grn V-max moly at 3465 fps, not the fastest, but the most accurate.
As far as barrel burners, the faster you drive a bullet, the more wear there is. This can be reduced by proper/regular cleaning and most importantly by not letting your barrel too hot while shooting.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear tell that the long neck on the 6mm Rem reduces gas erosion. Don't know whether it's true.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote