New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ithaca model 49
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The Ithaca model 49 is a 22 rimfire made 1961-1979. In my opinion, it is an excellent first rifle for a youth. It was made to look like a Win 94 so it has a butt stock. It does not take a lot of tools nor skill to fashion up a shorter butt for kids and be able to keep the original for later when the kid is bigger. It is lever action, but operating the lever ejects the shell only. You have to manually cock it. Once cocked if you decide not to shoot, you can operate the lever and unload it. Not overly heavy, but it does have some weight, which is good for a kid to get use to. All in all I think an excellent gun for teaching a youngster.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one as a kid----not my favorite but OK. The painted(?) receiver didn't hold up to well, I have heard Ithaca also made a lever action repeater but never have seen one.
But you are right---a great gun for a kid, looks westerny, safe and not overly big/bulky.

Have fun with it!!!
Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hipshoot--the 49R was a repeater and I've never seen one.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 49R was made in Germany IIRC. If you want to see one look at a Henry. Like all of their guns, they copied someone else. Saves on engineering costs.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 217 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the tube fed Ithaca Lever Action Repeater 22 was a Model 72,if I'm not mistaken.

I had one for a few years in the late 60's.

polished blued,not painted receiver like the single shot.

72+22=94....was the mentality.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right. I have worked on both in the dim and distant past. The 72 was the one Henry copied.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 217 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote