New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mmx222 back from Pacnor
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I received my lefty Charles Daly 6mmx222 today. It is turning around tomorrow to MPI for cerrakote and a stock. It's little brother, a 17 Remington, is due in tomorrow. It has a wood stock waiting for it but that will be a winter project.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's really nice and would make a lovely rifle for Roe Deer.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a big fan of the .222 and the 6x45 it just has to be a nice caliber..I went with the 223 case simply because of the availability of brass I had at the time and I got about 6 big coffee cans of WW and Fed por nada!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has a 1 in 10 twist. I went with the 6x222 because the 6x45 and 6x47 both were too long for the Daly magazine without modification. They would fit but the bullets needed to be seated extremely deep in the case.

I have a bunch of bullets to try in the rifle. My focus is on the 70-85 grain range as it will be primarily a fur rifle. I made up 200 rounds of brass from some LC 83 and have 200 new Sako 222 brass to form in my CH4D dies.

Over the next several weeks I'll run a bunch of potential loads through Quick Load to get some starting data for several powder and bullet combinations. I keep you posted.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mart, eager to hear what kind of accuracy you get. I have had very good luck with PacNor barrels.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I've never had one of their barrels before but have always heard good things about them. I shipped it Thursday to MPI for a stock. As soon as it comes back I'll be reporting on the results.

Mart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be very interested to see how this rifle performs. The 6x45 and 6mm-222 has always interested me. I had PacNor put a 6.5-06 3-groove barrel on a six lug Weatherby Mark V. They did a very good job, and the rifle shot much better than I could(which isn't saying much but I was happy). How long was their turnaround time on your barreled action? I remember I had to wait what seemed forever.

Sent from my iPhone

Posts: 663 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turn around was right at 7 months. I sent it in in mid January and got back last week. That's fairly long but I guess there's a lot of demand for good barrel work. I anxious to get home and see how the 17 turned out. It arrived the day after my 6x222 but I was already up on the slope.

It has a nice walnut stock waiting for it and will be a winter project. I may get started on some of the inletting on this next R&R but have several other pre winter projects to finish up before I can play around with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mart,
What is the typical COAL for the 6mm-222?

Sent from my iPhone

Posts: 663 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if anyone had designated an official COAL for the 6mmx222. My magazine box will allow for a 2.227 COAL so that's what I'll go with except perhaps for the very short bullets like the 60 grain Sierra.

With an 80 grain flat base bullet that allows for the full use of the case capacity without seating the bullet below the neck/shoulder junction.

I'll check my Hodgdon manual when I get home next week to see if they list a COAL for it.