THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    6.5x54 manlicher. Anybody shooting this round?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x54 manlicher. Anybody shooting this round?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Redlander---your sling could use some saddle soap.

Actually needs a little oil, it’s clean. The photo was really soon after I bought it.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have owned 2. One was an original Sporter 24 inch barrel with a Lyman peep sight on the cocking piece. I sold it 10 years ago as I needed the money.

This is my 1930 Greek Military carbine converted - 18 inch.

Here are some key points. Most original 6.5X54MS Bores were .268 grooves (Carcano) and not .264. It is worth slugging the bore. I use the Hornady 268 Carcanno 160 Gr RN and the accuracy improves.

PM me if you want loads.

I also have a 1910 takedown model 9.5X57MS which I restocked. There is a big project thread here from around 2011 I think.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/8611058421/p/1

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I had a Lyman peep sight on one that I sold in 2006. It would retract when the bolt was worked. then spring back forward in position when the bolt was moved forward; a really neat device.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello gang. I'm new to the forum. I am a new convert to the Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifle. I always admired the full stock carbine appearance but never had an opportunity to get my hands on one. I recently was able to purchase a 1903 MS carbine as a Christmas present for being such a good boy last year! The rifle has seen some action in its time as the wood shows handling marks but the metal and bore are pristine. It is equipped with a Lyman 1a bolt shroud peep.
I did some test loads with 3031, 4895, and 4064 using Hornady 129 gr bullets. The old girl really seems to like 31.6 grains of 4064. I wanted to download some pics but I don't see an attachment option.
Reloading data is not very abundant for the 6.5 x 54 MS. I have a variety of powders at home. Has anybody tried LeverEvolution powder for loads in this cartridge?

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I used the Carcano .268 cal bullets in 160gr RN Hornady. The best powders were H4350 & N160. Lethal on deer with great penetration.

quote:
Originally posted by fjrdoc:
Hello gang. I'm new to the forum. I am a new convert to the Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifle. I always admired the full stock carbine appearance but never had an opportunity to get my hands on one. I recently was able to purchase a 1903 MS carbine as a Christmas present for being such a good boy last year! The rifle has seen some action in its time as the wood shows handling marks but the metal and bore are pristine. It is equipped with a Lyman 1a bolt shroud peep.
I did some test loads with 3031, 4895, and 4064 using Hornady 129 gr bullets. The old girl really seems to like 31.6 grains of 4064. I wanted to download some pics but I don't see an attachment option.
Reloading data is not very abundant for the 6.5 x 54 MS. I have a variety of powders at home. Has anybody tried LeverEvolution powder for loads in this cartridge?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
fjrdoc, These rifles were regulated for the 160 G. bullet. I have had my best results with IMR 4350

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I don't have any H4350, IMR 4350 or N160 powders at home. Purchasing reloading components is quite challenging right now. I reviewed the history of the cartridge and I'm aware that it was originally loaded with 160 gr RN bullets. I did find an article that listed some recipes for the 6.5 MS. This article mentioned that the 129 gr Hornady surprisingly performed very well. I was able to track down Hornady 129 gr Interlock bullets. I seated the bullets to COAL of 3.02 inches. Every round functioned 100% in the rotary magazine (which truly is a thing of mechanical beauty.) Accuracy was outstanding and I'm sure that this load would easily dispatch a PA whitetail. I'm certainly going to try and source some 160 gr bullets and work up some loads. It will just give me more opportunity to shoot this beautiful rifle.

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Redfiel, Marble or Lyman receiver sight, not sure which it was, that I sold for $450.00 some years ago..It was designed for the 1903, and the peep part broke back as you pulled the bolt back then close back up as you chambered the round, What a peice of engineering it was and it retained its zero every time. For only the MS with the split rear action ring..I found it in a box of junk parts I bought many years ago..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41781 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in need of some 6.5X54 ammunition (factory loads). I would like some S&B or Norma, my 1903 MS like both. I thought I had a deal for a couple of boxes of NORMA but it seems like it is not going to happen.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921787775

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921787676

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lawdog, I might have a couple of factory-loaded boxes that I could part with. Where are you located in Texas?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
lawdog, I might have a couple of factory-loaded boxes that I could part with. Where are you located in Texas?

Thanks,
PM incoming.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

one of us
posted Hide Post
Love that 2.5X Leupold Alaskan (Im pretty sure its the Leupold one of the 80s) on Robinson custom. they fetch about $900 these days, I have one to be mounted on my Marlin 95 or perhaps my Sako or Mauser 22 long rifles, I Wish I had a 4X and a 6X Leupold Alaskan, I did and sold both for huge bucks and just spent the money, damn!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41781 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gang.
I stopped by a local gun shop today and noticed that they had a pound of IMR 4350 so snatched it up. Anybody have any pet loads for this powder with 160 or 130 grain bullets?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjrdoc:
Hi Gang.
I stopped by a local gun shop today and noticed that they had a pound of IMR 4350 so snatched it up. Anybody have any pet loads for this powder with 160 or 130 grain bullets?

I can't remember my load for IMR 4350 offhand but let me check tonight when I get home and I'll be back with you.

The M-1903 MS rifle is a great rifle and the prices for them have increased in the last few years. I bought one years ago and it had correct claw bases but alas no scope. About 2 years ago I took it up to J. J. Perodeau's and he installed 1" rings. I then mounted a Weaver K4B- its not 100% correct for the rifle but is functional and looks much better than a more modern scope.

I have reloaded for the rifle extensively using 140 grain Nosler Partitions and Hornady .264 160 grain Round Nose Interlock Softs. The Nosler's are a pointed tip bullet and don't feed well in my rifle- nor did they shoot very well. The Hornady 160s feed really well with their round nose profile. Accuracy with the Hornadys is excellent- less than one inch. You can get round nose 160 grain bullets from Hawk and maybe Woodleigh- depending on their present status.

Remember that some of these MS rifles are bored .268 and if so will need the Mannlicher Carcano 160 grain Hornady bullet so be sure and slug the bore. Also, before JJ slugged the bore I acquired a box of .268 Hornady RN 160 bullets which I'd be happy to part with for a fair price.

Anyway, they are great rifles smooth feeding, very handy and well balanced. My M-1903 is a stutzen with a 17.7" barrel so my velocities with the 160s are low with the highest being about 2150 FPS. As stated above, there is lots of history associated with this rifle and caliber so enjoy it and PM me if I can help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok my 2 best loads with the Hornady 160s are;

IMR 4320: 33.5 Grains
Average Velocity: 2012 FPS
PPV cases
Winchester Large Rifle Primers
Group size: 7/8"

IMR 4320 33.0 Grains
Average Velocity; 1961 FPS
PPV Cases
Winchester Large Rifle Primers
Group size: 1/2"
The velocities are not what I wanted but the accuracy is very good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded up a ladder with Hornady 160 RN and IMR 4350 the other week and headed out to the range. It looks like 37.3 gr of 4350 was my magic load. I ended up shooting one of the best groups that I have ever shot at 50 yards with an aperture sight. I'm a happy camper! I wish that I could post pics but I haven't figure the process out at this time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What a match, and it comes with a 2.5 Leupold Alaskan, or perhaps an old Lyman Alaskan in Talley rings and bases...The last half dozen Leupold Alaskans Ive found fetched an average of $950.00 bucks..I have two and in their original wooden boxes but been used by me to aboit 90% over all..One of my all time favorite scopes. I paid about $175 for them as best I recall. Don't offer me that kind of money, you too will own one!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what I use in my 1903 Mannlicher

160 Hornady IMR 4350 40.5 2292 1" group at 100 yards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the load.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I used H4350 with similar results.

The 160 gr Hornady 268 cal bullets penetrated like crazy - about 8 inches off spine front on on a deer.

quote:
Originally posted by vvreddy:
This is what I use in my 1903 Mannlicher

160 Hornady IMR 4350 40.5 2292 1" group at 100 yards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you'd like one, keep an eye on this. Looks like a nice clean rifle.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/932356236

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wasserwulf
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 September 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love those little rifles. Beauty, functionality, old world craftsmanship, + just everything required to be called a classic! Not to mention, a damned fine rifle to shoot.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. I have two 1903s. A Stutzen and a Take Down. Both wonderful examples of old world craftsmanship.

Mark Twain

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I must be an old fart. I have used, quite successfully, the 6.5x54 MS and its cousin the 6.5x53R since about 1980. The ballistics are "ho-hum" but the cartridge and the wonderful M1903 Mannlicher Schoeanuer are hard to beat once one abandons the theoretical world on the damn computer and steps into the deer woods. The M1903s are beautiful rifles (carbines) perfectly mated to the 6.5x54. Were it not for the needless advertising hype surrounding the 6.5 Creedmoor (yuck), we could all hunt very happily with the 6.5x54 and 6.5x55, another classic favorite.

Cheers,

Roger

Posts: 473 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both excellent calibres along with the 7X57.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had my threesome of old girls out to the range yesterday. Top is a 1913 Simson & Suhl Commercial Mauser sporting rifle in 8mm (.318). Middle is my Mannlicher model 1905 made in 1920 in 6.5mm. Bottom is my 1910 Mannlicher made in 1913 in 9.5mm. The 6.5 gave me the best group that I have ever had at 100 yards with open sights. Just under 1 inch. My load is 129 gr Hornady Spire Points with 33.5 grains of 4064. It was a good day!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice set of Mannlichers, and nice shooting. Does your 6.5 load cycle from the magazine?

Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Lawdog. Five rounds of the Spire Points cycle very nicely in the Mannlicher magazine. I have the bullets loaded out beyond the cannelure. I forget what my COAL is but there is at least .264 of bullet down the neck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you I'll give your load a try.

Mark Twain

One of Us
Picture of Wasserwulf
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 September 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a cool old add. Thanks for sharing. I checked my reloading recipes last night. I set my COAL at 3.02 with the 129 gr Hornady Spire Points.