New
Find
Notify
Tools

BSA Featherweight .243
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If anybody out there has a BSA Royal Featherweight, the very early ones with the sculptured, lightweight receiver and the factory muzzle break,are you able to help me with some measurements.

I'm trying to get a hold of the factory muzzle diameter on this model. If you could measure this for me it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I had my wife's BSA Royal 243 featherweight rebored by Sam May , at Apex barrels in Flagstaff, that should date me. He asked if he could remove the brake and I approved. But right behind the brake it measures .610
Hope that helps.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4191 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes that helps.

What length did the barrel end up at and what cal did you have it re-bored to if you don't mind my asking?

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I think the remaining barrel is 18", it was cut off right behind the recoil slots, which is probably the same as the original muzzle.
And I had it rebored to 308. It's a pretty handy little carbine

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great info, thanks.

I'm having one re-barrelled to .358 cal. I don't have the original barrel to check dimensions. Looks like the Factory profile has plenty of meat for the larger bore.

Cheers

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I considered the 358 when I found the 243 BSA as I was a fan of the caliber and would have been a fine one for Alaska. But my wife is small woman and just wanted her own rifle so I settled on the 308. It has been a good choice, although had the 260 or 7/08 been available at the time I might have chosen those.
The Royal action is a good one.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06 is .625 right behind the brake. 600 muzzle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike.

I'm assuming the rifling stops at the brake and is a straight bore from there?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes - it stops just before the forward angled hole, and is reamed to about .370"

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
That is the way I remember the brake as well and was why Sam May thought he could do a better reboring job if he removed them.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I rebarreled one, to 256 Newton, and machined a copy of the factory brake into the new barrel. I added a threaded restrictor at the muzzle which made the brake work way better I also made an internal sleeve which could be inserted in place of the restrictor to shut off the brake. I like the BSA actions too. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3516 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote