New
Find
Notify
Tools

244 H&H Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a set of Model 70s in 375 with a couple more due to come.

One is being rebarreled to 300 H&H for the "just to have" department.

I would like to do one in 244 H&H Magnum for the same reason. Practicality of "overbore" etc is not a consideration.

RCBS list dies so that is OK.

Apart form Saeed, has anyone here used or owned one.

I would also like to do a barrel for a 275 H&H but barrels and bullet diameter are a bit of a problem...I think.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike375 (edited 04-16-2001).]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Mike375:
I would also like to do a barrel for a 275 H&H but barrels and bullet diameter are a bit of a problem...I think.

Mike my friend, it's just a normal 7 mm (.284") cartridge, no probs finding either bbls or bullets.

You know the funny way the brits name things, it's because of the funny way their heads work...

-- Mats

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mats,

From Woodleighs website

http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/catlog.html

Scroll down to 275 H&H.

However you could alter a reamer (or just havea sloppier than normal neck) but dies would need to be made if RCBS are set up for .287" bullets.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike375 (edited 04-16-2001).]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Fergus Bailey>
posted
Mike

No first hand experience I�m afraid, but I am pretty sure I have some data from an old G&A article by Ross Seyfried which included the .244 H&H. I can look it up if you are interested.

I would have thought you would have had no interest in those small-bore, fast-moving bullet rigs these days. You being seduced over to the dark side?

Fergus

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/ab/fergus

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fergus,

I have 3 new Stainless M70 375s and 2 Blued M70s on order. Nick Harvey tested one for Guns Australia and I had Winchester send it to buy it but it would not feed the second cartridge. I believe it is an early version of Winchesters new magazine system. The feeding of course was not mentioned in the article. The "new magazine" system is supposed to work for 375, 416 Rem and 458 Lott. One of my stainless 375s has the system and it feeds fine so I suspect harveys rifle was an earlier version.

So the 244, 300 are just to add for completeness. One stainless as a switch barrel for 375, 300 and 244 and one blued one the same.

I will get Ross Waghorn to stock and clean up one of the blued ones and one of the Stainless ones.

For a big bore (want to use cast bullets) I will go your way with either 450 Ackley or 458 Lott.

I can make all my cases form 375s.

If you have something on the 244 I would love to see it.

I have a spare unused Model 70 270 that could be a candidte for the 240 H&H.

Thanks.

Mike