THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    26 Nosler: any personal experience?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

26 Nosler: any personal experience?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
Shot a Rifles Inc. last weekend. Very accurate. Using nosler e-tip 120's @3450. Did not run over chrony. Hand loading some barnes lrx's and will report after some long range shooting. Lex has his handholds thru his Oehler doing north of 3600fps iirc. If anyone is going to DSC, stop by and ask Lex what he thinks of this cartridge. He has the most experience of anyone I know personally.

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of PT&G reamers but am waiting on brass availability here in Australia.

It needs VERY slow powders to get it really flying, best powder seems to be US869 which is not available in Australia.................

I am going to try N570 in mine when I can get some brass.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
This thread is from 2014, any more recent personal experience?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I finally got my rifle from Nosler a few years back- after a very unsatisfactory interaction with them at SCI. (They refused to tell me anything, stating I was not the guy ordering the gun, the dealer was...) Took them almost 2 years to get the rifle to me.

Unlike Barsness, I did not get the advertised velocity on factory ammo (it was maybe 75-100 FPS short) and the cases look like they were fired overpressure.

It also is a 2 MOA rifle with factory loads. I got it down to 1 MOA with handloading at the expense of some velocity. I am a bit wondering how close to shot out it is now after about 200 rounds through it.

Essentially it gets about the same velocity as a friend's .264 Win Mag, but is a bit more accurate with my handloads.

The local shops I have here do have the guns now, as well as ammo. It is a bit expensive, though.

I am unimpressed with the Nosler M48 I have it in, but if you want a hypervelocity long range gun, the cartridge is decent. The Nosler brass is very consistent. Personally, I'd stick with monometals in it for large animals unless you know you will be shooting over 300 yards. Under 200, gophers and muskrats act like 100 yard shots with a .22-250 even if you are using the accubond LR bullet.

Posts: 10460 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Hells Canyon McMillan X-Bolt in 26 Nosler and I can't wait to get it over my LabRadar. Sorry to hear about your issues with the Nosler and the Nosler rifles

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know the thread is about the 26N but I have two 28Ns and love them. They easily outrun the 7mm RM and STW, and accuracy is far better (although I have custom actions and custom barrels).

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Had one. No longer a reloader.. Factory ammo was hard to find. I know Nosler did not have loaded ammo for a least6 months.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I remember the ammo shortage from Nosler on both the 28 and 26 Nosler. I'm going to pick up a box of factory stuff so I can shoot the rifle this weekend.

AAW - I was excited about the 28 Nosler when it came out, but I was already a fan of the STW and they are pretty similar. My first was a Rem 700 with custom barrel and the one now is a MK V with custom barrel. Strikes with authority with the 160's, I love it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one . It is a Browning X - Bolt. Insanely accurate. Shot quite a few hogs with it. Performed well. Very well.

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
I remember the ammo shortage from Nosler on both the 28 and 26 Nosler. I'm going to pick up a box of factory stuff so I can shoot the rifle this weekend.

AAW - I was excited about the 28 Nosler when it came out, but I was already a fan of the STW and they are pretty similar. My first was a Rem 700 with custom barrel and the one now is a MK V with custom barrel. Strikes with authority with the 160's, I love it.

I have owned four 7RMs and one STW; I much prefer the 28N to both. The 28N is shorter than the STW, and it allows you greater seating OAL flexibility, a key feature IMO when it comes to accuracy.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know everyone hates belts no and long cartridges, but I feel in love with Layne Simpson's 7mm STW and 358 STA.

I thought they looked like what a magnum should be. 1) The 7mm STW looks like a miniature intercontinental ballistic missal. 2) The STW was what the 7mm Remington Magnum should have been the whole time. 3) I do not like short cases. The Nosler is not that short. I concede, but shorter than the 7mmSTW.

The 28 Nosler cures the problems the 7RUM had, being too fat and too long. I think the 28 Nolser has to be somewhat less overbored than the 7mmRUM. However, is it not just a rip off of the 7mm Dakota in available rifles.

I guess one will argue the 7mmSTW was a rip of the the 7mm Super Mashburn or that .284 magnum Elmer Keith liked so much for pronghorn and deer. I forget its full name.

If I did not have great desire for a 7mmSTW while growing up, I probably would have went with the 28 Nosler, but in the X-Bolt over the Nosler/Howa.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Nosler Model 48 TGR with a 6.5X20 Viper scope on it. It worked well with the 129 gr TSx bullets for accuracy. It always clusters at about 7/8 inch at 100 yards for five shot group. This is really good accuracy. I shot a mountain goat with it at about 300 yards. It knocked the goat down with a high shoulder shot but it destroyed quite a bit of meat. The hydro-static shock of this round is pretty high. It does shoot like a laser and you just set and forget. Goats have a tough system so it might of caused more damage than it needed. It would be perfect for hunting caribou or antelope.

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I know everyone hates belts no and long cartridges, but I feel in love with Layne Simpson's 7mm STW and 358 STA.

I thought they looked like what a magnum should be. 1) The 7mm STW looks like a miniature intercontinental ballistic missal. 2) The STW was what the 7mm Remington Magnum should have been the whole time. 3) I do not like short cases. The Nosler is not that short. I concede, but shorter than the 7mmSTW.

The 28 Nosler cures the problems the 7RUM had, being too fat and too long. I think the 28 Nolser has to be somewhat less overbored than the 7mmRUM. However, is it not just a rip off of the 7mm Dakota in available rifles.

I guess one will argue the 7mmSTW was a rip of the the 7mm Super Mashburn or that .284 magnum Elmer Keith liked so much for pronghorn and deer. I forget its full name.

If I did not have great desire for a 7mmSTW while growing up, I probably would have went with the 28 Nosler, but in the X-Bolt over the Nosler/Howa.

So are you saying that the Nosler rounds are essentially a knock off of the Dakota rounds (which is my opinion) or is there something different?

I've been tempted to get some .33 Nosler brass and see if it works in my .330 Dakota for grins. Finding the Dakota brass is becoming a bit of a chore.

Posts: 10460 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are knock off Dakota cartidges. Dakota got the design from Imperial Chemical Industries.

Everyone knocks every one off.

I can send you measurements of Dakota 7mm to see if the neck and shoulder angle will allow the 28 Nosler brass to work. I do not have a 338 Dakota diagram just pm me an email address.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer, but I was just casually interested in the .33, as I have a .330 Dakota.

Turns out per a buddy the shoulder angle is relatively steeper with the .33

Not that big a deal to me, I just have to look harder for the Dakota brass- not that I don't have enough for my needs in the foreseeable future.