THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    My 6.5 x 54Mann. Sch is going to Alaska

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 6.5 x 54Mann. Sch is going to Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On another forum I see that a chap in Alaska who goes by the name of Casper50 says that he has bought a nice 6.5 x 54 Mannlicher Schoenauer.

I would like to tell him that it is indeed a great rifle that I have owned for 16 years, but I cannot sort out a password problem with the other forum!

Perhaps if he reads this forum, or someone knows him, then I can get in touch with the details of its past life.

Historic Bore, southern England

Posts: 83 | Location: Olde England | Registered: 03 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Hi did you own this rifle before bud ?

I'm sure he would be very interested in that, I think he is a good bloke !

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I owned it for the last 16 years, and fired only 207 mild reloads through it.

It was made in 1938 or 1939, and then liberated by a Scottish officer for deer stalking in the Highlands. He sold it to a gunsmith pal of mine near Derby who owned it for many years.

Hoping to get in touch with Casper50 sometime soon!

HB

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Is it a full stock carbine, or a half stock rifle?

I love Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1903s. They are like magic wands.

Do you have any photos?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13306 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can get all giddy and slobber all over a 1903 MS, or a Brno mod 21 or22, they just don't make them like that anymore..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all

It is the full-stocked 18.5" carbine barrel version with two set triggers. The heaviest I could ever set the trigger to was about 4 ounces. Of course the unset trigger pull is quite lumpy.

The bolt is really the slickest ever made. The butt trap still has the original four piece cleaning rod in place.
I have got photos but am not good a posting such things. If you wish to send me a PM with an e-mail address then I can send you a selection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I love mine. Those were/are true classic rifles.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HistoricBore's fine looking M-S carbine, including vintage zielfernrohr in claw mounts, with the front base mounted properly - on the barrel:

By the stamping on the left side of the action (which makes no mention of Oesterreich), this seems to be a wartime M-S, made after the Anschluss in 1938, when Germany annexed Austria.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my recently acquired 1903 MS. It was a Christmas present to myself. Mine does not have set triggers but I don't care for hunting purposes. I'm looking forward to carrying it in the PA woods for deer season this year. They certainly are a thing of beauty and function flawlessly. I have a 1905 coming my way within the next couple days. I've been smitten!

Posts: 82 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a great rifle- are you reloading for it?