Notify
Tools

6mm/284. On a G33/40
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
I found it this way. I promise.

I stumbled across this on Guns International. It was an unbelievable bargain. I suspect it was built in the 1960s because of the scope. Also, there aren’t many people cannibalizing G33/40s these days. I can’t wait to shoot it.

[img] [/img]

Posts: 7461 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry Lawson perhaps? Would be a fun rock chucks gun.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I took the stock off. The bottom of the barrel has “12 66” and “Dillon” stamped on it. Do you know anything about the gunsmith?

Posts: 7461 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one I am familiar with. Nice stick was used on that. Wonder what twist the barrel is.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
I took the stock off. The bottom of the barrel has “12 66” and “Dillon” stamped on it. Do you know anything about the gunsmith?

Probably Ed Dillon I would guess. Ed did quite a few gun projects in his life. He ran NECO for about the last 20 years of his life, marketing and selling the quickload reloading software.
Ed was also an Air Force veteran, B-52 navigator.

Posts: 1207 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
That's an interesting find. I wonder how difficult it will be for you to find dies for it?

That chambering would make me suspect of the potential for premature throat erosion. But if nothing else you have a great re-barrel candidate. Or maybe a re-bore to 6.5/284??

Posts: 10107 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Double set triggers, no less! Americans seem unfamiliar with them, but anyone who has used a rifle so equipped instantly becomes a fan.

Posts: 13207 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you know what twist the barrel is?

I have a 6-284 8 twist Shilen barrel on a Savage long action. Only tried 105 Bergers. Sometimes it shoots less than 1/2 MOA at 200 other times it's all over the place. Haven't played with it in a few years, have thought of selling my dies etc.

Posts: 614 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the small ring Mauser, G-33/40 and the Brno mod 21 and 22.. and a few others,They makes such streamline little rifles. Bothers me not to cannibalize them..Thin compact manlicher stocks and small ring actions is the only way to go IMHO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote