Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 conundrum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
....and for years before that they used the 22 Savage hi-power in a Savage 99 for bears.

The .22 Savage Hi Power (5,6X52R) used a .228" diameter bullet weighing 70 grains and is deadly on deer, from personal experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
....and for years before that they used the 22 Savage hi-power in a Savage 99 for bears.

The .22 Savage Hi Power (5.6X52R) uses a 70 grain .228" diameter bullet and from personal experience is very effective on deer. The cartridge is a Charles Newton design.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HIp, your probably better off at the circus.. wave

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Many states ban 22 centerfires for big game and rightly so. Sure, guys kill some game with them, but the shots have to be perfect; the hunters I see here are not capable of a 100% perfect shot at all ranges and conditions.
Just a trick and gimmick. Not for general use. I can't think of a worse choice (heavy barrel 22-250) for deer and hogs in the Georgia woods and yes, I have hunted them there. (Ft Stewart)
I would NEVER use a 22 for a deer or hog. Never. I am even suspect of anything below 33 caliber.
Just hold your hate mail; I get enough as is.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Many states ban 22 centerfires for big game and rightly so. Sure, guys kill some game with them, but the shots have to be perfect; the hunters I see here are not capable of a 100% perfect shot at all ranges and conditions.
Just a trick and gimmick. Not for general use. I can't think of a worse choice (heavy barrel 22-250) for deer and hogs in the Georgia woods and yes, I have hunted them there. (Ft Stewart)
I would NEVER use a 22 for a deer or hog. Never. I am even suspect of anything below 33 caliber.

dpcd,

I think if you check you will find that the majority of states allow .22 centrefires on deer.

Where I am from professional deer cullers used the .222 rem extensively for culling red deer of all sizes since the early sixties. Many of these shooters have shot deer into the several thousands. In venison recovery and also deer culling today, they mostly all use the .223. None of them even handloaded they all use standard 50 grainers in the .222 and most them today use cheap 55 grainers in the .223.
While these men are professionals, they got paid by their results, so they do not use tools that are ineffective.
Many recreational shooters use the same also.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd--It is most obvious your shooting deer with smaller calibers is limited to the keyboard. Suspect of anything below .33 cal??--maybe shooting deer period limited to the keyboard. Takes a perfect shot with a small caliber--that suggests with the large one hit em anywhere---you sound like a magnum guy and I bet on your KEYBOARD your magnum guts them for sure and maybe even skins and quarters them. Go get some real experience and come back and be able to make a factual post.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carlsen Highway:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

dpcd,

I think if you check you will find that the majority of states allow .22 centrefires on deer.

Where I am from professional deer cullers used the .222 rem extensively for culling red deer of all sizes since the early sixties. Many of these shooters have shot deer into the several thousands. In venison recovery and also deer culling today, they mostly all use the .223. None of them even handloaded they all use standard 50 grainers in the .222 and most them today use cheap 55 grainers in the .223.
While these men are professionals, they got paid by their results, so they do not use tools that are ineffective.
Many recreational shooters use the same also.

In Colorado, the smallest caliber is 6mm with a minimum of 70 grain bullet for deer and 85 grains bullet for elk and moose. I wouldn't use that light of a bullet for either one.

Posts: 322 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Laurie's Papa:
I think a bullet such as Barnes triple shocks or Hornady GMX might be good choices in the weight range of 60 to 70 grains for hunting the creatures I mentioned. I do not feel I can spring for the cost of a custom rifle. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate hearing it. Thanks.

A Barnes 53 grain TSX or a Barnes 55 grain TTSX will stabilize in that rifle and will kill deer quite nicely if you can refrain from shooting them in the ass or legs. Either bullet will penetrate bone. You may well never recover one in what is left of your life. Sorry, but at 72 it ain't going to get you to forever. I would rebarrel to a 9 twist. Rebarrel to faster than 9 twist and light bullets pushed fast can and will disintegrate in mid air if pushed around max velocity for a 22-250. If you look around patiently you can find a barrel for <$100.

The bullets I specified will make a hole about like a 30-30 which kills deer just fine. The difference is that the Barns bullets will penetrate straighter and further. Size of the deer will not matter

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Carpet; ease up; you don't know me...
Also; Read; pretty sure I never used the word; "Magnum".
The actual smallest caliber I have used on deer is a 257 Roberts. Killed a hog with one too.
Professional deer culling is not anything like hunting in the Georgia woods. Please don't tell me that you recommend a heavy barrel centerfire 22 for woods hunting. There are far better choices.
Such recommendations will be misinterpreted by some and they will try to use varmint bullets on deer. I have killed lots of beef cattle with a 22 rimfire but that doesn't mean you can hunt deer with one.
My hunting experience? I am an anti hunter, and do not like to see innocent animals killed. We should keep all of them in zoos.
I also hate those bolt actions that you call mousers, or something like that. Those will kill you too.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman1,

In words of the female comedian JOAN RIVERS-------GROW UP!

Hip

Posts: 1818 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hipshot--dpcd posted something that was pure BS and I addressed it. By his own admission (".257 Roberts was smallest he has used") I was correct that he had NO experience with it(using .22 cal on deer). To me it's like lawmakers talking about an AR-15 being an assault weapon capable of blowing up tanks. Now we are going to stop hunting and put all animals in zoos--great idea every resident of the state would have a job--need that many zookeepers to maintain that zoo.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpet,
You don't seem to understand that if a person feels that some thing is wrong and does not want to try it, that they are wrong or afraid.
I think that drinking poison is wrong and I am afraid to drink it!
Does that make me wrong, do I need to try it anyway?

I THINK NOT!!!

Hip

Posts: 1818 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman1, please consider the possibility that dpcd is tweeking you just a little bit.

Personally, I love his posts and dry, over-the-top sense of humor.

I wish I knew him personally and freely acknowledge that he knows much, much more than I can ever hope to know. He has helped me think through problems several times, to my benefit. And he has helped many others on this forum as well.(Footnote)

FWIW. I greatly respect your experience and knowledge too, and I am an avid reader of most if not all your posts.

(Footnote: On the other hand, wrt dpcd, he hates .270s with a purple passion. When I learned that I secluded myself in my safe-space, sucked my thumb and watched comforting videos of little puppies cavorting right and left. My self-esteem hasn't fully recovered, but its toxic masculinity is trying to do so (dare I say) manfully.)

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
B L O'connor - I only disgree with 1 thing in your post above. DPCD is not tweeking "a little bit". He is tweeking a lot. Big Grin

DPCD would be the first to tell you on one-hand that Douglass barrels are the most consistently accurate barrels he has seen (and I believe him) as he has re-barreled a few rifles for me with them and they are all super accurate and on the other-hand he would tell you "Does it really matter? because thousands of hunters enter the woods every year with 1.5 inch group rifles and kill deer out to 300 yards.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are probably right that dpcd is tweeking me. "suspect of anything under .33 cal is suspect of being a deer rifle. This would make the 30-06 suspect as an example and I don't think many would agree with that.Eliminate hunting and put all animals in a zoo--that would be a super tweek.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
fishing

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed several Whitetails with the 64 grain Winchester Power Point bullets and they have done a good job. I have also shot two with the white box Winchester 45 grain Varmint ammo that was sold at Walmart , 40 to the box for about $23.00. They killed just as well but with no exit hole. None was needed as they pretty much pulp the heart and lungs and were both bang flops. No experience with the .22-250 on hogs.

Grumpy old man with a gun,,,,Do not touch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always appreciated DPCDs post until he informed me that the 99 Savage was an ugly gun, now I hate his guts!! jumping rotflmo Just kidding old timer...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something to consider is to be careful about condeming a certain weight bullet in your 22 hotshots...Most are twisted for up to 50 caliber according to some and the 60 gr. Hornady won't shoot, whats won't shoot mean, accuracy I presume?

so I investigated this and found it to be true in most every case, but lets delve into this. So the rifle in almost every instances shot an inch and a half,maybe two inches, with the 60 gr, bullet,not good for a 22-250, well in all those cases it was for deer not benchrest or pin heads and its perfectly fine for deer that have 12 to 15 inches of lung and a 4" heart..and the gun still shoots half inch grps with a 40 or 50 gr. bullet for target or varmints...So whats the beef??? there is none. No need to rebarrel nothing will be gained..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whats a DPCD? isn't that like a jail, corrections dept.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen hundreds of deer culled, and African Antelope also with 222, 22-250 and my 6x45..Those calibers when used properly, kill as well as anything and Ive never seen one animal lost or go very far..the 22-250 is absolutely a death ray..

I only suggest that you Don't take iffy shots, don't stretch the range, adjust your shooting to match the calibers capability, shoot smart and ignore the nay sayers, its your decision granted by law and the constitution of the United States...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
If you stop and think about it, many of us here on this forum could do a better job than the vast majority of archers, virtually all of the buckshot hunters, most of the shotgun and slug shooters, many of the handgun shooters and probably a substantial number of rifle shooters just using a decent .22lr target rifle and shooting deer from an elevated deer stand. I know that I could do so from my current deer stand with my Winchester 75. I have two extremely accurate crossbows and a variety of highly effective arrows and broadheads. Within 20 yards Bambi hasn't got much chance. I don't shoot beyond that distance. With the target rifle though I can head shoot them and put every singly one of them down where they stand. That little 22lr is a pissant compared to a .222 of larger centerfire 22 and head shooting them at that range is a pretty simple proposition.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed many deer in Mexico in my youth with a22 LR two shots behind the shoulder and sit an wait or ride on and come back in an hour. fed a 20 man fencing crew and the local Forrestals with deer, and traded the local village for quail with deer..

A brave few of the locals have a 22 of sorts hidden away near their casa, and feed the family with deer on ocassion,

those deer are seldomed hunted in that area as its illegal for them to own a gun..the deer are not wild at all..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120