New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 conundrum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the 70’s, a great friend gave me a Ruger 22-250 Ruger M77 with a bull barrel we called it back then. I have rarely shot it but am going to get it out of the safe and work with it some and I am considering getting a new rifle (lighter) to actually hunt with. In South Georgia my main targets will be hogs, coyotes and white tails. I would shoot the damned gophers who have shown up recently for the first time in my 72 years in a my yard but they are strictly nocturnal. Picking my hunting bullet in advance, I think a bullet such as Barnes triple shocks or Hornady GMX might be good choices in the weight range of 60 to 70 grains for hunting the creatures I mentioned. From what I can understand, it might be better to pick a rifle with a twist rate faster than 1 in 14. My first choice of rifle was a Tikka but seems 1 in 14 is all they offer. Savage offers one with 1 in 12 inches. I do not feel I can spring for the cost of a custom rifle. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate hearing it. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mr. LP: I have 2 .220 Swift rifles used mostly for coyotes. Although they're not .22-250s, I think your question is relevent to your question. My oldest is a Ruger heavy barrel. Ruger used a 1-14 twist in those. Recently I had a M70 re-barreled and I chose a 1-12. Here is/was my rational. I realize that the fast twist is all the rage right now. However, my coyote calling is such that the average shot is 100-125 yds. I neve intend to shoot at 400+ yards. With the Ruger, I shot several deer using the Hornady 60 gr. SP with good accuracy and great performance. Actually, with todays bullets, for my hunting, if I'm after deer and have penetration concerns, there are a number of good .224 bullets that will do the job. In fact, I carried my M70 for deer this year and had the same 60 gr. Hornadys loaded up but no deer. On the deer I shot with that load, if I remember, penetration was against the hide on the opposite side. I would have been happy to have my M70 barrelled with a 1-14 twist, but I thought the 1-12 would give me a little bit advantage if I wanted to use a heavier bullet, but honestly, I can't think of any need. If I were you, I'd first play with the Ruger with some 55 or 60 bullets known for good penetration unless you just want a new rifle. I'm sure the fast twist guys will disagree, but that's my experience. Good Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Twist rates shouldn’t be looked at as a “rage” but rather proven science.

With that said, I agree with the rest of what you said.

Don’t go with heavy for caliber monos like Barnes but rather pick the lighter (read shorter) bullets or cup and core type and test them in your Ruger rifle. Check it at distance too, as velocities drop, to check stability.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I do plead guilty to “lusting” for a new rifle and am looking for an excuse to get one. I do intend to see what I can do with the Ruger but as I get older I do appreciate a gun that does not kick so much and a gun that is lighter to carry to the stand. I am not well versed in what kind of .224 bullet will hold together enough to ethically hunt white tails so you can appreciate I hope to pick the brains of you guys who have perhaps been hunting with 22’s for some time. It is my impression that 60 to 65 grain lead free bullets moving pretty fast might be just the right medicine for Georgia white tails. Any thoughts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only used the Hornady's on those deer I mentioned- I think I killed only 3-4: northern michigan deer that probably dressed out somewhere like 120-140lbs. One thing you might want to consider is that by all appearances, there are far more people using .223s than the higher velocity .22-250s and Swifts at considerably higher velocities. So something that holds together at say 3000 fps. may not do as well at 3400 fps. There are some obvious choices, Nosler P, Barnes, etc. I'd also take a look at the bullet manufacturers websites where they go into some detail re: the intended use for each specific bullet. As I mentioned before, I think you'll have no problem finding a good bullet that will hold together as long as you stay away from those designed to come apart on really small varmints.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always tend to try for faster twist in any rifle. Learned my lesson when I had a 308Norma rebarreled to 264Win. I went with a 1/9 twist like the early Winchester M70 in this cartridge, and realized after the fact that it wouldn't stabilize 140 grain cup and core bullets.

As far as bullets for the animals you mentioned, I like more frangible bullets in the smaller diameters. For instance, 100 grain Hornady Interlock bullet in 6mm will pass through a deer and leave you tracking for a long distance, but a 70 grain 6mm Nosler BT will drop them in their tracks. I have never shot anything other than prairie dogs with the 22/250, so I don't have more specific advise.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot deer with the 64 grain Hammer Hunter bullet but in an 8 twist.

You'd have to experiment but Hammer Hunters in a 44 grain should work in a 12+ twist but don't know how they'll perform at distance in a 14 twist.

That's the characteristics of a mono metal bullet, they're long for weight and usually require a faster twist for full stability.

Since you want a lighter rifle anyway, just re-barrel it to the weight and twist you want.

That's my 2 cents again,
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can find some, the win 64 grn powerpoint was designed for deer hunting.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
In the slow twist barrels use the regular cup and core bullets since they are shorter in length and will stabilize better than the longer copper bullets of the same weight.

I have a 1:10" twist 22.250AI and it will not stabilize any bullet over an inch long, the 1:14" will be limited to a lot shorter bullets. The 62 grain Barnes bullets are .942" and longer.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a lighter rifle with little recoil I wouldn't hesitate to look at a 223. I load for a professional hunter that sets up play farms for wealthy real estate guys. When he is shooting his Contender carbine with a 20" barrel I load a 63gr Sierra varmint bullet that destroys the insides of a whitetail deer. When he is shooting his bolt gun with a 24" barrel I load a 65gr Sierra Gameking bullet with the same results.

Posts: 885 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen a lot of deer and antelope killed with all manor of factory ammo and handloads, at 4000 it is a very reliable deer killer IMO..I shot a number of deer with both the 220 Swift and the 22-250 and it to is a reliable deer gun, keep ranges under 250 yards..and the 222 and 223 have killed many deer cleanly..failures come with improper placement of bullets with any caliber, It common for those light fast bullets to blow up on the shoulder blade or joint..don't shoot them in the shoulder blade or joint, shoot them in the ribs for heart and lung shots, necke and brain shots, don't blame the caliber..Inuits kill polar bear and musk ox with 222 and 223s..

My personal favorite bullet for P-dogs, and deer size animals is the 60 gr. Hornady SP or HP..Been using it for over 50 years in the 222, 223,,22-250 and the Swift..Never seen a reason to change..Know a rancher lady that has used for years the 22-250 for elk out the kitchen window to their haystack with Heart shots, both bulls and cows..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
....and for years before that they used the 22 Savage hi-power in a Savage 99 for bears.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not all, but most that weigh in on the topic of .22 cal for deer have no actual experience. Their keyboard experience says use a heavy bullet and a premium bullet. A 55 grain cup and core in the right spot does the job. As with any caliber and any weight or type bullet, placement is the key. Many years of taking youth hunting with .222 and .223 is the basis of my claim.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I've used av 22-250 on deer and most of the 55 gr bullets work fine. As mentioned try not to shoot the shoulder. The Hornady 60gr hp was originally meant as a light medium game bullet. It works well also.
The Sierra 65 gr bullet shows promise as av good deer bullet. It does need a faster twist than the lighter bullets. 9 or 8 should do fine.
For a lighter inexpensive rifle find. Savage 223 with a faster twist and rechamber to 22-250 and swap the 223 bolt head for a .473 bolthead.

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22BR with a 12" twist and it shoots 65 gr Sierras, am d 60 Nosler Partitions just fine. never shot deer with either but they work great for javelena

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity is there any bullet from any manufacturer for the 22=250 that could survive a hit to a deer's shoulder blade or joint ? Thanks in advance.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I would guess the partition would be your best bet on a shoulder shot. Can't say I would try it though. I've shot my 22-250 for years, but always at varmints and with varmint bullets.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brair:
Just out of curiosity is there any bullet from any manufacturer for the 22=250 that could survive a hit to a deer's shoulder blade or joint ? Thanks in advance.

This one will.
https://cuttingedgebullets.com/224-40gr-esp-raptor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
You may want to consider re-barreling your Ruger with a 1:8" or even 1:7" twist barrel. It will then handle any .224" bullet made.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
In the slow twist barrels use the regular cup and core bullets since they are shorter in length and will stabilize better than the longer copper bullets of the same weight.
+1

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I and many others have culled high numbers of wild game, deer, and African plains game..Being ranch raised and in the ranching business off and on my whole life and most with deer programs, Ive culled both whitetail and muledeer,with excellent results with the 222 Rem up to the 220 swift..If you hit the shoulder or heavy bone, its iffy, heart lung shots kill quickly on the spot as a rule..I like to keep shots under 200 yards, but longer shots have been made on many occasions. Most realize this if they have had the opportunity and are not just using reader hype..and experience tells us not to take iffy shots with light calibers, it not necessary in culling operations. I have not used a better bullet than the 60 Hornady sp or Hp for anything from pinheads to Mule deer. Bullet weight isn't the do all, bullet construction is the secret to success..bullet wt. does help at longer ranges as it holds its velocity better way out yonder..

Additionally I am a big fan of Nosler but not in the 224 or 6mm,s.. They perform as advertised but a fully expanded 22 or 6mm Nosler partition is less internal damage from what Ive seen used even in the 243, Ive seen deer make many tracks with proper placement..Not every time but invariably sooner or later you get a failure or slow killer or even a disaster... sofa

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:

This thread is full of a lot of opinions and only a few of those have any real experience with .224" and deer and hogs.
Don't get hung up thinking you need long heavy bullets to effectively kill Deer and hogs with the 22/250.
Currently many bullets are made in the 50, 55, and 60 grain weights that will completely pass through the shoulders of whitetails if that is how you choose to shoot them.
Nosler makes a 64 grain Bonded bullet that is short and stubby and holds together excellent on deer, we have only recovered one on a mature whitetail buck shoulder shot, it weighed 62 grains.
Barnes makes excellent bullets and with the all copper expanding bullets there is no reason to go heavy I've seen 45 grain, 50 55 grainers go completely through deer.
Bonded BearClaw is another I believe it weighs 60 grains
Hornady GMX is comparable to the Barnes bullets.
The old myth that you must use 70 grain bullets to effectively kill with .224"'s is outdated.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a 200 lb boar years ago with my 223. I was coyote hunting btw, not hog hunting. Bullet was a 50 gr nosler ballistic tip. It of coarse grenaded but a tiny piece went through the heart. Bits also went into lungs. I hit him twice more but it was the first shot that killed him. It would not be my first choice Bullet but based on that limited experience and knowledge of what is available I would not hesitate to use a 55 gr x Bullet or 60 gr nosler partition. I don't think there would be any problem stabilizing either of those bullets.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may sound like I contradict myself. I much prefer a .243 over a 22-250 for deer. Say What? As much as I advocate .222 and .223 with 55 grain cup and core. The .243 and 22-250 recoil about the same. So you don't gain anything going 22-250. The .222 and .223 have much less recoil so you gain something.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed deer with a Ruger 77 in 220 swift with 55 gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaws
now I own a model 70 Featherweight in 220 Swift with a Hart 1-12 twist and use the same bullets and the 62 gr counterparts
the 22 cal has added lots of good bullets to their line up

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the sense of shooting deer with any .22 cal. firearm-----I'd rather go to the circus!

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hipshoot:
What is the sense of shooting deer with any .22 cal. firearm-----I'd rather go to the circus!

Hip, my bet would be you have not done it nor witnessed it. Take a youth for example that can comfortably handle the recoil of a .22 cal and make a well placed shot. The inverse give him a boomer that he is uncomfortable shooting thus does not make a well placed shot. Which has the better outcome? Bullet placement is the key and a well placed .22 does the job. In the case of an adult, if it aint broke why fix it? If it works so well, why not?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:

Hip

To kill them.

Not my idea of a perfect caliber for the job but they well kill a deer.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to add in a little PLUS FACTOR when you are shooting a live animal!

Hip

P,S, I watch some of the FANTACY ANIMAL HUNTS WHICH INCLUDE HAVING A child SHOOT DEER and feel it would be better to let the CHILD grow up a little before he is killing something!

PPS---And I am far from being a Bleeding Heart or Tree Hugger! I was a very active hunter!

JUST MY TAKE!

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hip---you made no comment on "my bet would be you have not done it or witnessed it". Sounding more and more like I was correct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is true! But why would/should I when I have a dozen rifles/calibers that are far more fitting for the task!

Hip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hip why? Well dead is dead and that's what you have when you place a .22 bullet in their vitals. You can haul your family groceries in a passenger car---why get an 18 wheeler to do it? Go do it sometimes and you'll answer your own questions. Why was it so obvious to me that you haven't done it? My reason for recommending doing it is mostly for youth, why have them shooting a boomer they are uncomfortable with when the .22 does the job?.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have Fun! Why would I go and do something that I thought wasn't proper?

That would be VERY STUPID of me!

Hip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hip I appreciate your honesty in admitting you have never done it. With keyboard experience only, I can see how you would think it's a bad idea. Before I saw it done, I thought the same thing. The first time I let my grandson shoot a doe with a .222 he had to beg me some. It was getting late and I could see a tracking job. Works out, that doe made a death run of 100 yards and that is the longest to date any of them have gone. To date there have been a bunch of them. The grandson mentioned now has sons of his own that are shooting deer (with .222 and .223). Perhaps what is stupid is telling someone that has been there done that, that it's a bad idea.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have killed many deer with a 223. I also have a friend that takes the time while scoping the deer to watch until it exhales to take his shot so it will not run so far with no oxygen in the lungs.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I have killed many deer with a 223. I also have a friend that takes the time while scoping the deer to watch until it exhales to take his shot so it will not run so far with no oxygen in the lungs.

I put beans in the feeder and wait on it to fart, then I shoot. Doesn't matter if I miss, it wont go far as it will run out of gas.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Winchester used to sell the 22-250 power points with the 64gr bullet. I have witnessed on two occasions Mule deer bucks shot with them and on both occasions they dropped on the spot. One got up and walked a few yards but tipped over quickly.

The bullets work in standard 22-250 barrels because they are short and stubby. Sierra makes a 63gr SMP bullet for reloading that looks Identical to the Winchester bullet. I've shot them from my 223s on coyote but nothing bigger. They worked well enough on the coyote that I wouldn't hesitate to use them on larger animals if that was all I had to hunt with.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I also have a friend that takes the time while scoping the deer to watch until it exhales to take his shot so it will not run so far with no oxygen in the lungs.

That's got to be the silliest thing I have read on here in a while. Thanks for the chuckle!

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brair,
A shoulder blade or shoulder shot normally works but on ocassions with any bullet it will fail more so than with a larger caliber, but sooner or later you will end up with a mess and a tracking job..ONe might apply the same to a larger caliber for that matter.. Ive seen considerably more tracking jobs with the 6mms than the 22s, why I don't know..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120