New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my 220 Swift
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got my NIB but older gun and early Ruger MK2 as it has the mod. 70 type safety, It has a fwt barrel and I understand it has been discontinued for some time, probably because of the long fwt barrel, but its new in the box....Any info on this model would be appreciated..I bought it at a bargain price..

So put my 3.xx10 Leupold on it yesterday and loaded some 52 gr. Hornady bullet over 43 grs of H414 and since it was an unusually nice day I shot 3 5 shot groups...I could cover any group with a dime or penny..Proud of my skinny truck gun, lean and mean and shoots like a bench rest gun and is going to be hell and thunder on coyotes..Id rather be lucky than good any day!!

I think I'll name this gun "Flaketa" she deserves that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my old Army buddies has one like you described. He loves the gun and like yours it's accurate. He can't shoot many rounds before the barrel heats up but for coyote hunting it's about perfect.
I looked one for quite awhile as I was very impressed with his. I settled on a left handed Hawkeye in 243Win when I couldn't find a Swift.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great coyote cartridge. If you can see them, they’re in range.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
https://ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/

Try this link Ray, It should give you at least a ship date and model# to make finding more info about it easier. I don't think I have seen a tang or mkII Ruger M77 that wasn't just the regular VT style (Laminate/heavy barrel). Nice find!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what I have is model 4710,HM77RFP ser#711-76789
220 Swift, they sold for $665 and may still do??? this is what the hang tag sez! ser# says shipped 2013,,Mine came new in the box the grease was pretty thick had to clean the bolt etc as it misfired, was full of dried grease, sticky stuff, cleaned up and shoots great plus and feeds like poop thru a goose..I like this rifle..

Thanks for the tip Mr. B

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Very nice Ray. Sounds too nice to be a truck gun however.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it has a plastic stock which I usually dislike but its leaner than most, dull rather rough sand blasted blue, its a truck gun IMO, but a damn good one..This little girl shoots tiny groups with all bullet weights so far, and its light enough to carry all day and needs no pampering, and I can paint it if it gets worn!! .. beer

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's barrel life of a .220 Swift?

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends how you treat it. I wouldn't use it as my PD gun, and shoot 2-3 hundred rounds in an afternoon. But be nice to it, and I have had great accuracy in a Sav 112 swift that had over 2,000 rounds when I sold it.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger No. 1V in 220 Swift that I bought in the mid 80s. It probably has around 2500 + rounds through it. I never shot it at max speed (3800 to 3850) and it's always been a part of a 3 gun battery against P dogs. I haven't shot it in a few years now but the last time I did it was still shooting 1/4 inch 3 shot groups.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will baby this one since it shoots pin holes..SPS had some NOsler seconds in 64 gr. bonded solid base, about perfect for deer if one is carefull I suspect and I don't know the twist but although its not as accurate as the lighter bullets it still shoots an inch consistantly and I shot 3 3 shot groups and two 5 shot groups, just testing the water, one after the other and it stayed at one inch adn it was hot to say the least...That will be its last abuse, I just wanted to know how it would hold up under fairly hard pressure...An inch is a deer load with such a bonded core solid base bullet IMO..I will let you know next year, until then its a coyote gun, target of opertunity special...It sure is fun to shoot however...no metal rod will clean it, I'll "rope a dope" it..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120