THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    A triple duce followed me home.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A triple duce followed me home.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
I have no clue how to post pics on AR (shame on me) but I did find some pics of a rifle identical to my latest acquisition. Here

I dare say that the one I got may be in better condition, it has no scratches at all, but otherwise appears identical except for the finish. Mine has a duller oil like finish.

Anyone have a favorite 222 load to share or input good or bad about the BSA sporting rifles?

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BSA Monarch I think it is. Very common down here. BSA made good rifles.

I used to shoot 55 grain Hornady interlocks (w/c) in mine, with 19.5 grains of H4198 for just over 3000fps. Half inch groups and the same bullet will kill deer as well as hares and rabbits.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are a lucky fella. It took years for a .222 to follow me home.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Douglas barreled Sako L46 likes either 20.5 gr IMR 4198 for 3325 fps. or 22 gr. R10x for 3280 fps . both with the 50 gr. Hornady VMax.

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
21.5 grs Accurate 2200, 50gr Vmax, or any other 50gr bullet.

Posts: 682 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t have my exact recipe in my head but what I recall is, Rem 7.5 primer, H 4198 powder, 40 grain ballistic tip.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the 222...first centerfire rifle I ever shot as a kid. It was a Remington BDL with a Redfield scope. I still remember the heft of the rifle, and the smell of gun oil and Hoppes.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 600 in .222 Rem.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carlsen Highway:
BSA Monarch I think it is. Very common down here. BSA made good rifles.

I used to shoot 55 grain Hornady interlocks (w/c) in mine, with 19.5 grains of H4198 for just over 3000fps. Half inch groups and the same bullet will kill deer as well as hares and rabbits.

After doing a little research I have determined that mine is a CF2 with a European sporter stock. Mine doesnt have the rollover cheek piece. There is a good source on the BSA rifles Here.

I have some IMR 4198 on hand that I think I will try when I get some time. Thanks for the input guys!

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My all time favorite for a varmit gun and Ive shot many deer with one and all my kids and grand kids shot their first deer or two with one, and my 30 year old cowboy grandson is still shooting deer with that caliber and sees no reason for bigger gun..Hard to beat the 222 rem. Mine is a L-46 SAkO, all original..fine gun..also a sako in 6x45 and a Ruger 220 swift adorn by gun cabinet, the 222 is the go to..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41762 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few that have followed me home!

WB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an older H&R Ultra Wildcat (Sako) in .222 that likes the lighter bullets. 40 gr. V-Max to be exact. If you are not going after bigger stuff you might want to try some of those.

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the UK I have used one to hunt some species of deer and never had a runner! Distances upto 180 metres. Always used cheap Winchester 50 g soft points.

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles, and welcome to the forum! What is the one with the mannlicher stock?

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bradford:

WB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had mine to the range today. 200 yards: 0.587, 0.839, 1.084, 0.938, and 0.374 Smiler Using H335 and H4895 with 52 grain Bergers. Anyone suggest other powders/bullets?

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wstrn,
That is a L46 Sako also.
Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my Sako 46 Riihimaki I like 25 grs of H322 with 52 gr. Hornadys for every day travel in the pastures..For an ocassional deer I only use the 60 grHornadys sP or HP both work the same..I also like the NOsler balistic tip 45 gr. bullet, I have a custom US African English rifle on a sako L-61 in 6x45 looks like a Holland and Holland, but at 5 lbs. I built it some years ago..Everyone tries to buy it but grandson says no at any price, its destined to be mine, and he will get it..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41762 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine life without a .222 and a 30-06.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bradford:

WB

The top one is a real beauty
mine is a Zastava mini mauser well rounded rifle

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wasserwulf
posted Hide Post
My Sako L46 full-stock .222 using a 6x42 Schmidt & Bender scope shoots half-inch groups at 100 yards with discount brand factory ammo (50 gr. PPU, made in Serbia)

Posts: 28 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 September 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
A classic cartridge that has few flies on it to this day.

A Beretta (nee Sako) sporter that really wants to be a bench gun when it grows up:

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I shot a suppressed 222 in New Zealand for feral goats, turkeys, etc. and it was a sweetheart.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wasserwulf
posted Hide Post
Krico .222
Made in Germany 1958

Posts: 28 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 September 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here’s a recent acquisition of mine. Blaser R8 classic sporter. Sold an A1 Sako to buy it.
40gn V Max at 3500 FPS is pretty hard on feral pigeons.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote