Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo Differences
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need to get some 6.5x55 and .308.

Anythng good about Wolf Gold (brass boxer-primed)?

What about Sellier & Bellot (sp?)?

I kinda know that for 6.5 x55 one should "probably" stick to Lapua or Norma brass. Don't know about .308 except that LC is probably desirable.

Right now I need loaded ammo; hopefully reloadable AND reasonably priced; a mix of target and hunting is what will be used.

TIA

VR
Earl

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I have never used the Wolf Gold, but don't be afraid of using S & B. My friends and I have put lots of that stuff through our guns with no problems.

I have 27 pieces of Norma and Lapua brass once fired for 6.5x55 and 34 pieces of .308 brass (r-p and fc)

make me an offer in a pm and ill send it your way

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wolf ammo is some of the best around when fired in a slingshot

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the two that you mentioned, but the Winchester, and the Remington shot well in my M96, but was not all that fast. The Hornady lite mag. that was realy good.

6.5 SWEDE.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting the PRVI Partisan stuff in my 6.5 Swede. Under 2" at 100yards from a rest wit the iron sights. I resist the urge to drill and tap this flawless specimen and stick a 36X Leupold on it...might scare me. PRVI new boxer-primed 6.5x55 brass is less than $40 per hundred shipped.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What type of rifles do you have, especially in the 6.5x55? If you have an american made rifle, i.e. Winchester or Remington, you might be better served by purchasing Win or RP brass for it. They have a different rim size, and using the euro brass gave me awkward extraction and ejection since the head is bigger on the euro brass.

Also, what type of target shooting are you talking about? If it is not serious target shooting, I personally would not pay twice as much for Lapua or Norma brass. I get very nice accuracy (meaning .5-1.0") from RP or Win brass in both my 308s and 6.5x55, so I just never saw the need to pay more.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No question that cheaper 6.5x55 brass can be sorted for quality then fired accruately much more cheaply than Lapua.

Still, I like Lapua - it looks and feels better to me. It has the larger head size than the Winchester brass, and that may be the reason firing pin strikes appear more centered with Lapua in my M70 FWT.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lapua and norma brass you pay alot for it,i use winchester brass for my reloads and it does as well as norma or lapua will and saves me $$$. s&b is good quality for the price.

if you dont reload, get what is mostr reasdonable and can be reloaded for when you may start reloading

one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I use Lapua brass for my 6.5x55 CZ550 FS.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have shot a pile of wolf (steel case) and s&b in bushmaster and colt ar15s. s&b is cleaner but they both run fine. the guys at the local gun shop say the gold shoots good, but watch the 30/06 stuff in the garands, it is warm.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks... J&G has battlepacks or 140 gr FMJ that shoot well (200 for $88) and I'll try both the Wolf Gold and S&B.

VR
Earl

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote