THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .257 Roberts : before and after UPDATED
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Roberts : before and after UPDATED
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted
Finally, I have a Bob. Winchester 70 bull barrel stainless in a super Grade LA stock (???) Anyhow, UPS snapped the stock and I have a used standard stock in LA coming off Ebay. No Idea of the history but it shot two minimum load rounds just fine -- 40 grains H4831 SC and a 117-grain Hornady BTSP. Drilled out stock at break, inserted long eyebolt, JB Weld 5-minute epoxy and sawed excess off after cure begun. Finishing up in safe next to GoldenRod. Buehler mounts re-installed with Leupold 3-9x. Everything cleaned up good, including the bore.

Any favorite loads or suggestions?

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post

Eyebolt from under grip cap to half-an-inch before rear action screw; drilled out first.

JB Weld / 5-min epoxy surrounding eyebolt and oozing out shattered grip.

We'll see how she shoots factory next

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after it breaks again use something better that 5 min epoxy quick set epoxies are not nearly as strong and their longer setting time brothers

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dang that sucks, those are a pretty good stock design.

I like RL-19 on top of a federal 210 or Rem 9-1/2 primer.
the 120gr Hornady H-P does right well in mine.
the Speer 100gr controlled expansion expansion bullet would also be a good one at the Bob's speeds.

Posts: 4968 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Lousy luck with the stock, hope the replacement one works out for ya.

Enjoy your Bob! Excellent, versatile caliber for everything from varmints to large Deer. I like using 120 gn speers for hunting and what ever is on sale for fun. You can kill varmints with anything it will shoot. I would start searching for brass yesterday if I were you. If you like yours as much as I like mine you will want to shoot it a LOT! I have managed to find a couple of local brass bargains and jumped on them. It's getting hard to come by, but there is always the reform from 7X57 option.

Posts: 10126 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Once-fired range brass (25) from Capital Cartridge, 50 new at Graf's for under 30 bucks, box of factory loads. I'm good. Just need to see if it'll shoot. Once the replacement stock is here, I can inlet and bed, probably with Steelbed. Test fired with range brass, one of which was 7x57 that I "formed" in 6mm Rem sizing die, then .257 Rob sizing die just for fun. Thanks to all!

Barry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deja Vu all over again. Years ago when I got my Bob it came with the stock busted. Mine does fine with Sierra 100s ove Re 19.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Believe she'll shoot!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like max loads of RL-19 and H414 as a rule in the 257 robts..no flys on H4831 or IMR-4831.

Best bullet is the 110 gr. accubond..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
117 Sierra's and max doses of IMR4350 produce tiny groups (.5") for my 257's.
Lately we've been shooting 110 Accubonds as well with same charge and powder, very impressive.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
If I could only have one rifle powder for all around use it would be IMR 4350

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
After it breaks again, use something better than 5 min epoxy. Quick set epoxies are not nearly as strong as their longer setting time brothers.

Your preferences, butchloc? It was what I had to fiddle with. Does extra bedding compound work? Not sure I'll redo but now's my chance to learn from the pro's. Anyhow, thanks again to all of y'all.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Taylor:
Deja Vu all over again. Years ago when I got my Bob it came with the stock busted. Mine does fine with Sierra 100s ove Re 19.

A truly sick feeling, sir!

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
If I could only have one rifle powder for all around use it would be IMR 4350

I use Rl-17 for everything from 30/40 Krag, 7mm-08, 7x57, 8x57IS, etc.

For larger case volume/bore area ratios I use Norma MRP. 257 Roberts A.I, 280 Rem, 8mm-06 A.I. etc

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4350 for 100s
H4831 for 117s and 120s

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Replacement stock ought to be here today. After inletting, bedding etc. I'll get back to load development. Dang that barrel was dirty! Think he WD40'd it too. Shoots nice, though.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post

Mo bettah!!

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Early start at the range at 70 degrees. Went back after noon at 83 degrees, having cleaned the barrel and loaded some more. Not bedded, and I doubt I will. Anyhow, here's the result.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
IMR 4350 with 100 grain Sierra's was good at 44 grains. Gonna try H4895 next, as recommended on another site.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Blew primer at 43 grains H 4895. Bolt sticky at 42, seems fine at 41 and grouped well? (Looks like I'll have to bed it.)

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Should have left it unbedded. Still trying to find a sweet spot.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Blowing primers and cracking heads at just 4 reloads with H4895 loads. Either WW brass is junk or 'innanet' loads are WAY too hot for my post-64.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed none of your pictures showed velocities. It may be a good idea to use the chronograph to help you determine your top loads. If they exceed the velocities in the reloading manuals, it could be another confirmation that your loads are too hot.

Your 4985 loads look pretty warm to me...

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
10-4. Trying to see if bedding worked or not. Today I had to adjust way down -- still blew a primer at 41 grains and wrecked a bunch of brass. Think I looked at the wrong data. Gonna wait for cooler temps now. (Got a trip to England next week and trophies from October might arrive before then, too.) Will chrony etc. at 38 grains as max for this rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a lot better limit with 4895.

I shoot 44.0 gr. of IMR 4350 with 100 Nosler Ballistic tips in my rifle, which has the long throat. Mild, very accurate, ~2900 fps. Could push it another 100-150 fps, but it wouldn't make things any deader.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
3050 fps with 38 grains. (Not sure what's going on otherwise.)

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Bedding didn't help. Might get it pillar bedded. Shoots better in the repaired super Grade stock so far. Time to start over in cooler weather. Sigh...

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Shoots lights out with Hornady factory 117-grain SST load. Box says 2945 fps. I got 3100 with my ProChrony.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
It may be a good idea to use the chronograph to help you determine your top loads. If they exceed the velocities in the reloading manuals, it could be another confirmation that your loads are too hot.

What! ?....
Reloading book velocities are not gospel you may not be able to reach those velocities or you may be able to exceed them, its all about what is max in YOUR rifle, no one elses…

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not gospel but if your getting 3100 fps from a 2900 fps load and stretching cases and dropping primers out your seeing some pretty good signs you need to back things down in that rifle.

having a chrono would then prevent you from ruining another batch of cases long before you got to that point,,, and help the rifle make it another 10 years.

Posts: 4968 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I understand what you are saying Lamar but to use speed as an indicator of an overload isn't reliable. I have some rifles whose barrels are fast and others slow, consequently "reloading book" velocity means nothing to me.
Blowing primers and cracking cases now to me those are signs you have exceeded the limits.
No matter what the velocity may be.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Updated: I picked the wrong data for H4895 -- since corrected. Looks like WW brass couldn't take the strain of max. loads. Chrony confirms my suspicion that I have a nice, tight chamber which yields (as does a custom 7 mm Weatherby recently done for me) slightly higher than book velocities.

This .257 Roberts is a heavy barrel stainless put together on a post-64 Model 70 action. It now fits nicely in a regular Model 70 stock which I believe is equal to the Super grade stock that UPS snapped. I bought it off Gun Broker and cleaned it up before starting to see what I have. Thanks for all the input.

Barry

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
After lots of work -- mounts (ring screws) shifted enough to throw groups off. Leupold bases and rings now, and I have a good load. Also, that factory load shoots well. So, a sorta skim-bedded replacement stock for the original (broken), fall temps coming soon, it's all good. WW brass is crap, IMR 4831 and H4831SC good with 117-grain Hornady SST's. Hornady brass is better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All my WW brass loaded more than once with anything hot seems to crack. Even the milder velocities.
Hornady and RP for me

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, tell your wife she has some nice quilts. My mother, ex-wife, + a daughter in law are big quilters + over the years I have picked up a bit of knowledge on the quality of the said subject. Oh yeah, the Bob is pretty nice as well.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
She smiled! (Pamela is also a better shot than I.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive never had any problems with WW brass, in fact I prefer it in my 257 IMP and other calibers..I also like IMI, Rem, and PPU..I load pretty hot as a rule. sometimes I suspect brass gets a bad name for a number of other reasons such as not being trimmed, too much powder etc,using a mag primer with a max load for standard primers etc..Regardless of the brass when primer pockets swell, when separation takes place, extractor marks, sticky bolts occur, your gun is suffering to one degree or another...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bnagel, if you + your wife are ever up this way, there is a quilt "shop" for lack of a better term on the Southeast corner of the square in Georgetown where ladies of all ages meet, quilt, sell, + once a month hold a raffle. It's a pretty neat store. I haven't been in years but I can only assume it's still there.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post

Hornady brass (3rd use)/ CCI 200 / 42 gr IMR 4831 / 117-gr Hornady I-B / COAL 2.905. 5 shots at 70 deg. F

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with 120gr Nosler Partitions, 117 Sierra Gameking SBTs and loading up in the next few days some 120gr Speers SPBTs...

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote