Find
Notify
Tools

A Savage in 6mm ARC
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I look forward to seeing just how much accuracy I can extract from a very humble rifle -- a Savage Axis II. Boyd's stock, EGW rail, Monstrum rings, Athlon Argos 6X24 30 mm -- all pretty low-end stuff. I've had very good luck with Savage barrels over the years and this one with 1:7.5 twist ought to spin up the high-BC 6mm bullets decently, I would think.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, will you please educate me a bit on the 6 MM ARC?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, it is basically a 6 BR/6 PPC based on the necked-down Grendel case and designed to offer slightly improved long-range ballistics at 1,000 yards or more over the 6.5, .223 and .308, taking advantage of the incredible ballistic coefficients of the VLD bullets in .243.
For example, the Nosler 115-grain RDF has a G1 BC of .634!
https://www.nosler.com/6mm-115gr-rdf-100ct.html
Here is the Hornady load data for bolt guns in 6mm ARC:
https://www.hornady.com/assets...ata/6mm-arc-bolt.pdf

I liked the idea of something new and different, very pleasant to shoot and with potential to play the long-range game while serving as a capable antelope rifle.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Again I am waiting for the Howa at 4.5 pounds. I wi'll probably get one if it is threaded.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, forgot to mention; that is one unbelievable BC; my 7X57 AI is one of the best out there, but this kid stands on it's shoulders (sorry).

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I look forward to seeing just how much accuracy I can extract from a very humble rifle -- a Savage Axis II. Boyd's stock, EGW rail, Monstrum rings, Athlon Argos 6X24 30 mm -- all pretty low-end stuff. I've had very good luck with Savage barrels over the years and this one with 1:7.5 twist ought to spin up the high-BC 6mm bullets decently, I would think.

I can't wait to see how you do with it. I got my fingers crossed for you good luck.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It might be a modestly priced rig but I'd bet it will shoot really well and serve it's purpose.

The thing also has the "look" of one helluva fine outfit.

Well done, Bill!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If only it was left-handed Wink

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, I got to shoot the rifle yesterday and am embarrassed to say what it took to shoot these last two three-shot groups.
It has been so long that I sat down at the bench and tried to really snuggle them together that I forgot the amount of effort it takes to shoot one-holers at 100 yards. I plead cheap Caldwell "The Rock" rest, cheap squeeze bag rear, untweaked Accutrigger, much older eyes and nerves.
Next round I will be better prepared. I know the rifle will shoot if I give it a chance.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still not too bad but looking forward to updates.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

It does take supreme skill, a fine firearm, conducive weather and good light conditions to shoot bug-holes!

That still looks pretty damn good to me!
Well done.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Zeke, I think I can get it to half-MOA accuracy, but that's plenty for antelope hunting. It is a very, very pleasant round to shoot.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is great news. I see on Howa web page that the Carbon Stalker will be offered in the 6 ARC. Now I have to wait until I can get one ordered and figure out what scope. A tiny rifle like that doesn't need a 6-24x50. I thinking more in the range of a 3-9 or a 4-12. I would like to keep the weight down as it was intended.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ron, I believe Howa will sell a lot of rifles in 6mm ARC. I totally agree on keeping it light as a hunting rifle, and will switch back to the plastic factory stock and a much smaller optic if I am fortunate enough to draw for antelope.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Ron, I believe Howa will sell a lot of rifles in 6mm ARC. I totally agree on keeping it light as a hunting rifle, and will switch back to the plastic factory stock and a much smaller optic if I am fortunate enough to draw for antelope.

Is yours threaded I can't tell? With the Howa being threaded the recoil will be reduced by 40% with my suppressor. I know that this cartridge doesn't have much recoil but with the suppressor it will be nothing. Kids will like it I think.