Find
Notify
Tools

That 6.5 Weatherby RPM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Lamar mentioned this interesting cartridge in the .257 vs. 6.5-300 thread.
I'd be tempted to try it if someone would chamber it in a beer budget rifle instead of just the Wby Mark V; the Vanguard comes to mind. I don't need "fastest," just "fast enough" for my hunting skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms-Br1ImqQs

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't need the champagne budget Mark V go with a beer budget 6.5 PRC. It has proven to be everything you wished the 260 or 6.5 Creed could be. I have found it to be a bit better than the 6.5-06, 6.5x284N, and as good as the wsm and all in a short action. Mine is a purely hunting rig, but with 140 grains and down the short action is more than adequate. All this said, as soon as the brass and dies show up I will have the RPM as well.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Quintus, the PRC is checking some boxes for me. Question is, hunting weight rig or heavier, mostly for shooting groups?

– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Buy a 6.5 PRC is a Savage, replace the trigger with a good one, and the stock with an fiberglass one as money allows.

I have lost a lot of the charm on the 6.5-300. I found an outfitter for $1600, but it isn't exactly what I want either.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seth, who makes the best triggers for the 110s these days? Twenty or so years ago, Rifle Basix was the go-to.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill I have one of those on a Savage M12. It is junk. Give me a couple of weeks. I am headed to Texas for that Aoudad hunt, and when I get back I'll bring it over.

Someone is making a new 3 lever Savage trigger. Oh, it's Jard, I just found it.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seth, thanks, but no hurry. I have to sell something before I can buy the Savage, and I am seeing a lot of info on how to make the current Accutrigger perform. I'd also want to see just what the Savage barrel is capable of before focusing on the trigger. Grabagun has the Desert Tactical for a pretty decent price.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the PRC ticks off most of the Boxes for a hunting round.
2900+/- with a 140-145gr bullet is enough with proper construction.
I actually looked pretty hard at a Mossburg in the PRC round.
probably would have bought it but they wanted 100$ more than for the 6.5 C-more sitting right next to it in the exact same rifle.

Posts: 4960 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Lamar, the Mossberg is intriguing, but their rifle has had accuracy issues if I am not mistaken.
I wonder what the PRC would do loaded with the 160-grain "pencils" that made the reputation of the Swede and the .256 Mannlicher before it.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had thought of building on a American Rifle Company Nucleus action (since it has Savage threads), and using a Gunwerks stock. I talked to Gunwerks last week, they want $1000 for their stock, and $300 for their bottom metal.

My 300 is an American Rifle Company Nucleus and I am really loving it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any numbers on anything that heavy.
I'd guess your gonna be back down to 2650ish with a 160.
I think it was built around the 140-145gr bullet weight.

truthfully it'd be a more streamlined,,, 7x57 higher pressure same speed type load with a 140.
which is kind of where I was thinking on keeping it IF a good quality hunting bullet could be found in that weight.
I think the 140-145 would provide just enough penetration and retention to make it a decent Elk round.
160 would be better, but IMO you'd be giving up a bit more speed [trajectory] than I'd like to for point and press 300yd. shooting.

I'm kind of leery of the weatherby round just because it is on a proprietary case.
it has no real parent case other than the 6.5X284 [a good round if you get the Norma version] but the case has been lengthened to make the RPM.
if it dies it's gone and brass??
at least the 6.5-06 is always gonna have cases available and if your gonna go 6.5 Norma your gonna need a long action anyway.

it's like wanting a 260 rem done right, go mauser action and have the throat cut right then make up your own load data, or forget about it and get a C-more [shrug]

nothing like having too many choices and none of them are the right one.

Posts: 4960 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lost track of this while I was out killing stuff with my 6.5 PRC. Mine is a Christensen Arms Mesa. It was $1,119.00 NIB and shoots 130 Grain Accubonds, Sierra Gamechangers, Berger VLD hunting, 140 grain Partitions, and 143 grain factory Hornady into sub MOA clusters. There are several less expensive rifle options available now. Also Brass is available, Redding dies and load data. If you get it as a short action it is essentially a 6.5-06 Imp. with 140 grain bullets and lighter. If you get into the heavy Hammers or heavier Bergers you may want to look at the M70 WSM action or a long action. Unless you plan on shooting bigger than elk further than 600 yards all of the above mentioned bullets will do nicely. The 6.5PRC is a dandy.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Quintus, thanks for sharing your first-hand experience with the PRC. I would be curious about how the 160s fare in this round.

– John Green, author