Find
Notify
Tools

What Action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
My niece completed hunter safety this year in the hopes of bagging her first buck. I had thought that my brother would have the forethought to actually purchase the rifle and (gasp) have her practice on it before the season. Apparently, this was not the case. I got the call last night from my brother, asking me what gun he should buy for her. I told him I would look into it and get back to him. That being said, I thought I would open it up to wisdom of AR members to choose what action would be best for my niece. She is very petite, so no matter what gun she gets it will have to be altered. Barrel length and length of pull don’t necessarily need to be considered in the choice as they can be altered in relatively short order. Plus, there is a good chance that it will be sporting a McMillan or Manners the following year. He has a budget not to exceed 1k without the scope.

Question:
What action do you think would be best?

Choices:
Sako 75
Remington M7 or 700
Browning A-bolt
Winchester 70 CRF
Ruger 77 Hawkeye or Tanger
CZ 550

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, there's just something petite about a Remington Model 7 IMO and a short-action Model 700 isn't too far behind that, either; especially chambered in 260 Remington, 7mm-08 or .308 Winchester. Rifle weight has played a significant role in many of the smaller statured ladies I've had the pleasure help getting started, too.

If it's gotta be a bolt rifle, great and shame on me for offering an unsolicited opinion ..... but I would not slam the option door on a T/C Encore Pro Hunter, either.

Good Luck with your choice and let's get her up & running asap, as this year's opportunites will be gone in a flash!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son brought my DIL 5'3" 110lbs a MKII compact in 7mm-08.

Fits her well I started a lot of young hunters out with a TC carbine in 357max. 4.5 lbs low recoil kills deer out to 150 to problem.

Just what I would have wanted when I was a skinny 90lb 12 year old.

The full mil 03-a3 I used was way to much gun for me then.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hightly recommed look tikka T3 by caliber 25-06. Its really nice and high accuracy rifle. Price of that rifle is low and spend then more money of high quality scope.

Stalins 2 biggest nightmare -If chinese learn fight like Finnish or Finnish start makes baby like Chinese...

Posts: 73 | Location: Finland | Registered: 12 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on a t3
2,8kg made in calibers .243w .260r or 6,5*55

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I bought a Browning A-bolt Micro-Hunter in 22-250 about 15 years. I was considering having some work done on it, new barrel and stock to fit, but having thought about my boys shooting it within the next two years, it'll be their first deer rifle.

A nice compact rifle that is redicilously accurate.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 'supplied ' youths w/
2 Ruger 77s
Rem 700
Howa 1500
Ruger #1
And my GF w/ a Rem 7
22-250,220 Swift,257R, 260 & 7/08.
In my opinion, all good choices.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a Ruger Hawkeye Compact in 308w listed at 5.75lbs with a 12.5" lop [ http://www.ruger.com/products/...eCompact/models.html ] coupled with Remington Managed Recoil Ammunition shooting a 125gr bullet at 2660fps? [ http://www.remington.com/produ.../managed-recoil.aspx ] Or roll your own using a lighter than typical bullet, like a 130gr TSX at lower than typical velocity using a faster powder to limit muzzle blast out of a short barrel.

FWIW, I would hesitate acquiring a rifle with or switching to a composite stock until your niece indicates she would like one (and who knows, maybe she is hankering for a pink one.) In my experience a lot of women or girl shooters or would be shooters find the composited - except maybe the pink ones! - very masculine, and so a turn off.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Rem model 7 would be my choice by a country mile followed by the A Bolt.

Both are lightish, handle recoil well-have had the M7 (Should not of sold) and know a few people that use the A Bolt- and do not seem to pass to much onto the shooter.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a used gun is in the equation, a Remington 600 would be great. With the short barrel they are blasty even in a .243. .222 or .223 would be a joy for her to shoot if .22 legal where she will be hunting. Proper bullet placement they work fine.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
If a used gun is in the equation, a Remington 600 would be great. With the short barrel they are blasty even in a .243. .222 or .223 would be a joy for her to shoot if .22 legal where she will be hunting. Proper bullet placement they work fine.

My wife shoots .223 for deer hunting. While it has worked wonders for her, it is not for everyone. I dont think that I would let my niece go that small until she puts some serious time behind a trigger.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank you all for your input. I was gravitating around the Remington but I figured a bit more consensus to clarify things couldn't hurt. Scheels had a couple Model 7's and if its still there she will probably get the .243.

---Thomas Jefferson

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scheels had a couple Model 7's and if its still there she will probably get the .243.

That sounds like a good choice

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thecanadian--Not to argue. The .223 works for your wife, why would it not work for your neice? Your wife cannot put a hook, slice, English or anything else on the bullet that your neice can't do. Don't take iffy shots. If the presentation is not right--pass the shot and the deer won that day. Shot placement is the key and the trump. If the .243 has too much kick for her, but she is comfortable with a .223, which one gives her the better chance of making the good shot? What I have witnessed many times is that a youth shoots the .223 a few times and is comfortable with it. Plain old cup and core bullet is all that is needed. Put them in a stand and they have a good rest and a deer makes the proper presentation, it becomes a matter could they hit let's say a basketball at that range? With their young eyes and comfort shooting the rifle, they can. When they place a shot that takes out liver, lungs or heart or a combination thereof, it doesn't matter if .22 cal or a large magnum, that deer is going to die close to that spot. In real life that has been my observation, it is much different on the internet. If it is a computer savvy deer and you shoot it with a .223 it is going to attack and kill or at least maim you. Your chance of survival is better if using a premium bullet with computer savvy deer. Cup and core is plenty for non computer savvy deer.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am wondering why you specified a CRF for the Model 70. The push feed is a very capable and accurate foundation for a rifle.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:
quote:

My wife shoots .223 for deer hunting. While it has worked wonders for her, it is not for everyone. I dont think that I would let my niece go that small until she puts some serious time behind a trigger.

I don't know why not? I let my daughter use a .223 for her first deer. She tolerated shooting that rifle far better than any other one I tried with her and it worked well.

Age 9

Age 10

55 grain Barnes Vortex in a Stevens 200 makes meat in the freezer in my daughter's hands. Only downside not much of a blood trail to track if needed. Luckily my daughter has been making tracking deer easy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is she a gun person? My oldest great niece was, so she got a little Ruger Mannlicher stocked carbine in 243.

The next one could have cared less. She is petite as well, so a Browning Medallion in 22-250 was cool.

The third was a gun nut from early on. She started becoming a hunter/shooter, we got her a Model 700 in 257 Roberts. She pocked out the caliber, etc. She won the HS Biggest Buck contest two years in a row.

The youngest one is just 12 this year. She got with #3 and decided she would hunt Elk, and she has a 700 in 260 Remington.

Those two come over a couple times a year and reload their 120 cases. They talk powders and different bullets for coyotes VS deer.

I would say a 7mm if she wants to get into shooting/reloading.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
thecanadian--Not to argue. The .223 works for your wife, why would it not work for your neice? Your wife cannot put a hook, slice, English or anything else on the bullet that your neice can't do. Don't take iffy shots. If the presentation is not right--pass the shot and the deer won that day. Shot placement is the key and the trump. If the .243 has too much kick for her, but she is comfortable with a .223, which one gives her the better chance of making the good shot? What I have witnessed many times is that a youth shoots the .223 a few times and is comfortable with it. Plain old cup and core bullet is all that is needed. Put them in a stand and they have a good rest and a deer makes the proper presentation, it becomes a matter could they hit let's say a basketball at that range? With their young eyes and comfort shooting the rifle, they can. When they place a shot that takes out liver, lungs or heart or a combination thereof, it doesn't matter if .22 cal or a large magnum, that deer is going to die close to that spot. In real life that has been my observation, it is much different on the internet.

Its really a matter of preference. I just dont feel comfortable giving someone that hasn't shot much in the past a rifle that is a little light for use on deer. Plus, I dont want to to place any undue restrictions on shot placement. She (my niece) hunts some prime land in buffalo co. There are some very, very big bodied deer down there. I would hate to have her pass up on a nice buck if it was not standing completely broadside.

The .223 works well for my wife because she knows the limitations of the caliber. She understands the trade off and only takes broadside shots. I have drilled that into her head quite well. That being said, she has shot some big fairly big deer and I have yet to recover a bullet. I do not consider her underguned. Again, its not to say that a .223 is the wrong choice or that it wont work, it's just my preference in the matter. It looks like your daughter has been doing real well with that rifle, tell her to keep up the good work!!!

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote on your poll because you left of Savage. Savage builds a very good rifle without the high prices of most of the brands listed.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I started both of my kids out with a youth NEF handi-rifle. They are compact, light, very simple to operate, handle well and dad controls the ammo supply. They are cheap enough that I didn't feel the need to modify them when they hit "adult" status and when the kids where rough on them it didn't bother me. Kids seem to be smarter than adults when it comes to deer rifles. Custom rifles don't really impress them, they just want to hunt. I bought one in .243 and it still shoots MOA with green box Remington 100gns to this day.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I would consider the A-bolt III instead of the A-bolt II. The older version you have to take the safety off to work the bolt to load or unload. I personally don't like a novice shooter to have to take the safety off for anything other than to shoot. That being said my 11 year old son has killed several with an A-bolt II in 204. He has his own and knows how to use it well.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Is she a gun person? My oldest great niece was, so she got a little Ruger Mannlicher stocked carbine in 243.

This is my thinking if you can find one.

Else I would go either Ruger 77 or Win 70.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 30 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Probably way too late to this party, but if you have the option to pick up a sako 75 or 85 I would pick either of those over the others listed. JMHO

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Win Mod 70 Compact. Short action and short barrel and stock perfect for new shooters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with 44magLeo, I bought a youth savage mod 11 combo package with scope in 243. could not be happier. It is possibly the most accurate rifle in our house. For the price one can not go wrong.

As my children grow older and gain more experience I will invest more in there hunting equipment. They both shoot left handed so this adds to the fun of finding firearms. Thank you Savage!

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote