Notify
Tools

Building a 6.5 Creedmoor
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted
Looking for your expertise...
I recently bought a Sako L579 action and I'm planning to build it into a 6.5 Creedmoor. This will be my first rifle build. As a first step, I'm looking for some advice on sending it off to get the action barreled...barrel makers, barrel length, barrel twist, contour....
I plan to build a handy sporter and use it primarily for hunting deer. Plinking, coyotes, groundhogs are always a possibility.
I anticipate using 120 grain bullets and heavier...but it would nice to have a barrel that would allow me to play with lighter bullets down the road.
Thanks.

Posts: 1307 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
You have many options when it comes to barreling a rifle. I usually have used Pac Nor for new barrels and spent the money for match grade or super match, accuracy is outstanding.
Last year I sent an action off to McGowens to be barreled for a 6.5x55. They installed a #3 contour 26" stainless barrel for me with the 1-8.5" twist. This barrel so far groups 100 grain, 120 grain and 140 grain bullets in sub 3/4" groups. I am very happy.
If I were building a 6.5 Creedmor I would order the same twist. Any of the major barrel makers offer a great barrel, (Pac Nor, Shilen, McGowen,Brux, Bartlein and many others)some of them offer a installation and chambering service as well, if they don't send it off or take it to a Gunsmith who specializes in that service.
The length and contour you choose are kind of personal choices, if you prefer lightweight/ Featherweight contours (most of my rifles are featherweight contour)or if you like a little weight forward then you want a sporter contour like a #3. Several of my rifles turn out with a 23" barrel length, a few are 20-22" one or 2 are 24" and then the long 26" I mentioned above.
Where I live my mountain hunting rifles spend a lot of time on my back so I like them light, Featherweight contour, 23" is perfect.
If that's not your style then a 22"-24" #3 contour may be what you are after.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
Thanks You for the information. 1:8.5" sounds like what I would use. I checked out Pac Nor and their offerings. What should I consider when choosing number of barrel grooves? I've noticed Pac Nor has a "polygonal" groove for 8.5 twist...?

Posts: 1307 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
McGowen built me the most accurate rifle I've ever had. That ,however, was in 1963.
old You might want to check with Jim Kobe on the AR gunsmith forum. He could, I'm sure, handle the whole job per your desires .Send him a PM. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'd have to go back and check but the barrels I've bought from Pac Nor were all 5 groove.
I think Pac Nor makes a 3 groove in 8.5 twist I would do that or a 9 twist in the 5 groove.
I know nothing about polygonal barrels.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
I d ed cide to have the manufacturer barrel my action, should I pay a little more to have the action face trued-up?  Some of the barrel companies automatically do that as part of the installation but others want extra $.  I would think they'd all want to square things up and do whatever they can to give their product the best chance for success?!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Bolt face should be trued, re faced, resurfaced or whatever they call it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is called blue-printed.

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The bolt face only matters about 4% and is easy to screw up. The locking lugs, and action face are what you are talking about.

Greg Tannel (I am probably going to screw up the quote) says " cyclendrical, parallel and smooth" or something like that.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Big Wyoming is correct on the machine work. Bolt face and fire pin hole truing is a bit excessive for a darn good hunting rifle, and you probably won't see appreciable results in that application. For what it is worth, I had Triple River Gunsmithing re-barrel a M-70 SA to 257; they only use McGowen barrels. For about $650 they re-barreled, bedded the front recoil lug, and reblued the whole thing. That was about two years ago, and the resulting accuracy has been pretty good. About ten shots into 3/4" In the coyote department, it is a very dependable/boring rifle to shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used McGowen barrels in the past and have been VERY pleased with the accuracy. If I were building a 6.5 Creedmore now I would assume you are going to compete or at least go for long range small groups. Use the best you can buy [afford] and never look back. You are using a great action and it deserves the best. Good Luck.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Considering the quality of Sako ' s past and present, I wouldn't get too worried about "blueprinting" the action other than maybe to very lightly lap the locking lugs to assure full contact. Where blueprinting really took off and where it seems to be most used today is in correcting sloppy rough Remington actions for folks who still believe they can be match rifles. They get closer, even almost there, but.... anyway your Sako was made to higher standards to start with. It should build into a fine sporter pretty much as is. I'd spend the money on a top notch barrel and have a topnotch smith put a quality chamber job on it. That should be all you need.
And since you're looking at deer and smaller you might want to give a look at the 6 Creedmoor while you're at it. A highly accurate round, at least as good and maybe better than the 6.5, and beginning to show up in the longer range uses as well.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for helping me flatten the learning curve a little. Great information and references!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barrel length and # grooves aside, 8 twist is the way to go for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Some will say manufacturer's don't have clue when it comes to barrel twist. This may be true when it comes to some calibers (22-250 comes to mind). However, in the case of the 6.5 Creedmoor, I have yet to see a rifle offered with anything other than an 8 twist barrel. Food for thought.

My recently completed 6.5 Creedmoor on an Rem 700 action (lugs lapped and action face squared only) w/a Mullerworks, S/S, 24", #4, 3 groove, 8 twist barrel shoots ragged holes @ 100yds with factory 140gr AMax and handloaded 123gr AMax.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It always seemed odd to me that a gunsmith thinks they can true a Sako up, I have had a number of Sakos and they were for all practical purposes well blueprinted by Sako right out of the box..My L-461 Sakp 6x45 with 0 tolerance chamber, will shoot right at .265 almost every time for 10 shots and it only weighs about 5 lbs. won a lot of turkeys with it, its my walk about chuck, and coyote rifle and has accounted for a number of deer, antelope, and Plains game over the last 30 or so years. I custom stocked it in English style, slim and trim. 18 inch Douglas barrel.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote