Tools

What is this??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kimber collectors should jump in here, because I only know the Model 82 as being chambered in 22 LR.

My take on it is I wouldn't want a centerfire cartridge--operating at the pressures generated by the K Hornet--on action that locks at the root of the bolt handle. Maybe Kimber changed this to front locking lugs, but it sure doesn't look like it.

The other issue I see is that the ejection port is way too short for the Hornet case; also, the standard mag well on the 82 isn't long enough for the K Hornet cartridge. Maybe the above is why Kimber made only (100)--if Kimber made it at all.

Dave Manson

Posts: 686 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave.

Kimber of Oregon did make a few M82's in 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet, and K Hornet. Also a few in 218 bee as a single shot.

I was a outside consulant for them at the time, and the head R/D designer said that magazine was a bear.

The big issue they had with that receiver was they made them out of LaSalle 1144, while the M84 was made from ETD-150

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1429 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Jim:

Thanks for the history lesson. 1144 isn't terribly tough, so I can understand the problem. Still, my kindest description of the rifle would be, "hermaphrodite".

BTW, I still have your Dad's book of "Hard-to-Find Gun Part Drawings" and refer to it from time to time.

Dave Manson

Posts: 686 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Lead alloy?

quote:
LaSalle 1144

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't this essentially the same rifle as the Winchester Model 43?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the barrel marking. Is this really a hornet or some confabulation/forgery? I have one of their K hornets and it does not look like this.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
Look at the barrel marking. Is this really a hornet or some confabulation/forgery? I have one of their K hornets and it does not look like this.

Agree........barrel marking is rather sloppy. The serial number of KH83 would indicate an original K-Hornet chambering. I suspect a re-barrel....but why? A pic of the top of the barrel would tell much.

The KOO M82's were made in 22LR, 22WMR, 22H, 22KH, 218B single-shot, 17KH-R2(Kimber's attempt to standardize the 17AH chambering), a very few in 17AH, and IIRC some in 25-20.

Here's a pic of one of mine.....a Custom Match 22LR.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had that exact rifle in 22H. Was very accurate and a great looking gun. Wish I still had it. Paid a fraction of what this one is listed at.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think everything is original about this rifle. Since there were a limited number of K-Hornets built there was likely not a "full length" barrel stamp and the stamping was done by hand with separate stamps, causing the irregularity in the caliber stamp.

I own a similar M82 Custom Classic in the standard Hornet which I bought from a guy here on AR several years ago. Prior to that I owned a Classic .22 Hornet. Both shot (and the CC shoots -- present tense) quite well. In fact, its accuracy is right on the heels of my Brno ZKW 462, which is probably the most accurate Hornet ever made, including those from Anschutz.

Nothing about the M82 action is "weak" for the small centerfires it was made for, but the extractors are sometimes a little iffy, leaving a very occasional fired case in the chamber.

By the way, I own a K-Hornet in another rifle (which does well enough). But I don't find enough advantage to the K-chambering to bother with it. A properly chambered standard Hornet has no problems with case stretching and all of those other "problems" that the K version is supposed to cure. Sure, the K-Hornet can give you just a tad more velocity (along with a harsher report), but the Hornet is not about velocity. If you want more velocity then go to a .221 Fireball -- or a .220 Swift for that matter. Shoot your Hornet with 40 grainers at about 2700 fps and enjoy the heck out of it.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote