THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Fast twist 22 Hornet single shot anyone?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fast twist 22 Hornet single shot anyone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
Was doing some dangerous thinking....
Does anyone have a fast twist 22 Hornet single shot?
With a throat capable of shooting high BC 22s?
Thought that could be a fun gun especially with a can for quiet kills.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the eye-straining distance of 50 yds.? It sounds like a rainbow arcing dream gone wrong to me, but have at it. Let us know how it works.

Posts: 41 | Location: VA | Registered: 06 March 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Supersonic to silently subsonic... a fast twist could prove interesting...

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Was doing some dangerous thinking....
Does anyone have a fast twist 22 Hornet single shot?
With a throat capable of shooting high BC 22s?
Thought that could be a fun gun especially with a can for quiet kills.

You mean like this:

https://bobbailey1959.wordpres...-17-twist-22-hornet/

I've seen videos of these against subsonic .22 rimfire. The rimfire stays in business solely by virtue of its' low cost, I presume. (I haven't seen any .22 subsonic prices to compare, since suppressors aren't allowed here.)

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Yesssss!
I wonder how fast the hornet would push those 69 grainers for supersonic?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yesssss!
I wonder how fast the hornet would push those 69 grainers for supersonic?

I think you could rapidly exceed the limits of Hornet brass finding out. And don't even THINK of using Hornet bullets with that twist. It would be akin to firing a .22 shotgun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The neck thickness of hornet brass is very thin, so the upper limits will not be rewarding. A hornet is simply what it is.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1-9 twist hornet barrel (14") for my Competitor handgun. The owner of the company gave it to me to test. I fired a few Rem factory loads ..... the fast twist raised pressures. The factory primers were flat from edge to edge of the pockets. I could never get any velocity to speak of before brass gave up on me. I still have the barrel, but havnt had it back on in 20 yrs now.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
so supersonic is out of the question it seems.
Unless custom brass is made.
https://www.rccbrass.com/
BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
so supersonic is out of the question it seems.
Unless custom brass is made.
https://www.rccbrass.com/
BOOM

Thickening the brass will reduce the capacity, which won't help pressures, etc, etc....

I think one would have to have the fast twist rifle as a dedicated whisper gun, threaded for suppressor and with subsonic handloads only. Far better than the equivalent rimfire. The gentleman's "squirrelly-rifle". Supersonic in a slower twist rifle optimized for that. I know of one such set of rifles under construction as this is being written.

In the case of the Hornet, one size definitely does not fit all!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
an “Improved” and strengthened case could resolve the capacity issue. The RCC brass is able to take higher pressure with the same thickness if you delve into their marketing info. Maybe a case similar to the 22 Hornet that won’t chamber in a regular 22 Hornet chamber? A +P Hornet should be a thing IMHO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
an “Improved” and strengthened case could resolve the capacity issue. The RCC brass is able to take higher pressure with the same thickness if you delve into their marketing info. Maybe a case similar to the 22 Hornet that won’t chamber in a regular 22 Hornet chamber? A +P Hornet should be a thing IMHO.

There's the Hornet K, of course. The capacity is only slightly increased, but it offers better brass life for the handloader. If you try to go much further than that, you're pretty much getting out of Hornet territory and into a completely different round, i.e. .218/.219/.223.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to have +P capable brass that could fire in a nominal Hornet chamber. The Hornet is pretty low PSI rated. The nominal 1 in 16 twist Hornet is a big obstacle to overcome though. A specialized 1 in 8 twist +P case for supersonic would be fun but a suppressed subsonic is more novel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a sort-of Hornet that might do what you want:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6521043/m/3131076242

One of them was a 9-twist 223 barrel that I set back. I think the heaviest bullet I tried was a 62gr mil-surp tracer, just for plinking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:

One of them was a 9-twist 223 barrel that I set back. I think the heaviest bullet I tried was a 62gr mil-surp tracer, just for plinking.

Clever project!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder of this thread. great stuff!

quote:
Originally posted by jpl:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pre-war German kiplauf, 5.6x35R (for all intents and purposes a Hornet that fires .226 bullets), that employs a 1-9" twist. I shoot heavy cast bullets out of it, 55-60 grain, mostly cast at velocities in the 1600-1800fps range. Occasional heavy jacketed use too, but again with the pressure limitations mentioned above which severely limits velocity.

Accuracy is superb, considering that it's a wispy lightweight rifle. Benched at 50 yards it'll return 1/2 to 1 MOA. Those heavy relatively slow bullets carry well out to 100 yards and a bit beyond- certainly usable small game hunting performance. In that respect it beats .22 rimfire trajectories healthily.

It's downright murderous on woodchucks (farthest kill was at around 100 yards) and seeing how tough those wee beasties can be, I don't see why a coyote couldn't be dispatched with aplomb with it, especially if hide preservation were paramount. (But coyotes are thin on the ground here so for me that's entirely moot.)

Posts: 329 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote