THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    250 Sav AI and 257 Roberts AI

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

250 Sav AI and 257 Roberts AI
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Within the last few years I have put together a couple smaller rifles. First was a 250 Sav AI built on a Rem 700 and a 257 Rob AI on a Argentine 1909 action. Both of these rifles group under 1 in groups @ 100 yds. I've taken a couple whitetails with the little 250 AI and 100 gr partitions. This thing kills all out of proportion to its small. The 257 AI gives up very little to factory 25-06 performance.I've since built another 257 Rob AI on a Tikka action.Much of the loading data for both of these calibres tends to be rather dated using older powders. Just curious if there are other out there shooting these very effective cartridges and if there is some newer data using some of the newer powders.RL17 RL19 would be a couple interesting powders.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I have a 257 AI built on an M-98 and I pretty much found the same thing. Did you try the Lyman manual? It seems like it may have some data but I dont recall.
I prefer the heavier bullets and I settled on IMR 4350 using older data to start. If you have some +P 257 data for newer powders that will give you a good base. Just start in the middle and work up. Cant say about the 250 AI. Ive started swaging my own 257 pills and may try some new lighter loads soon.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still working on it but have used R17 (46-48gr.) in my .257 AI---shows a lot of promise. Will be trying 6.5 Staball soon,

Hip

Haven't been working on it too much due to the difficulty getting R17---don't want to use up all my sparce stock/

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several old manuals with 257 Imp. loading data. If you give me a call, I can email cell phone photos of such to you and give you my experiences as well.
Ed 719-495-6560

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 334 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Remember Steve? Hes got some data for newer powders.

https://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I should rephrase this. I've been reloading for over 50 yrs and have almost every loading manual published in the last 50 years. Almost all the data is dated and most of it with older IMR powders. Yes IMR 4350 works quite well. I was interested if anyone was working with newer powders and getting some good results. Yes I could work up loads but look around powders and bullets are hard to find these days. just hoping for some short cuts. Thanks for what has been offered

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive been shooting the 250-3000 since Mathusla was a child, both std. and improved, shot my first 4 or 5 elk with a 25-35 and quit a few with the 250-3000, 99 Savage. later a couple of Rem 722s in 250 IMP, and 257 Robts IMP..

I always preferred the std. 250-3000 and in the 99 that Ive had from the start,its been my favorite and still is..I agree it kills all out of proportion to its paper balistics..All the 25 calibers are fine, one just has to pick a favorite. Try one you'll never be sorry..I found the 250-3000 had less recoil, was inherently more accurate, balanced best and was easy to pack and never have been able to see any difference in actual killing on elk and deer than the 25-06 or anything else for that matter, the end results were all the same short of 300 yards or so...

I settled on three powders, H414, ww760 (same powder as H414 btw), and CFE-223 that Im working with now looks like its going to be a dandy...The 250s are not cantankerous about bullets or powder btw and every one Ive owned shot pin hole groups, even the lever guns and take downs have been accurate..

A little off the subject but I can say the same for the 25-35 Win. but to a lesser degree as to killing power, range and accuracy, but within its barriers its just as good, just limited. II still use it on ocassion on cow elk in the alfalfa patch, one shot kills behind the shoulder is expected..

I guess it appears Im a 25 cal fan, if you think so then your spot on.. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a SSK .250 Sav. AI XP-100. A highly accurate, sweet handgun. Like Atkinson, my best powder is WW 760. I've taken over 100 deer and over 1000 groundhogs with it, including a very nice albino one.
It shoots everything great- BTs, TTSX, Nos. Solid Bases, ELD-Xs, NPTs, ABs.
Recoil is minimal. A fine caliber and handgun.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have both, a 250 AI on a Turk small ring and a 257 Robt AI on a 1909 Arg action. I love them both but the 250 AI just a smidge more. The 257 Robt AI does hang with my 25-06 on a Springfield rifle but juice the 25-06 up and the 257 Robt AI starts to fall behind some. Not sure what their favorites loads are without looking in my load book (packed in anticipation of a move). Two super cartridges anyway.

Steve............

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
When Reloader 17 first came out I made 2 phone calls one to Alliant the makers of Reloader 17 and to Sierra.
Both gave me identical information.
Start at low end published loads for IMR4350 when working up R17 loads.
They both said this for any application IMR4350 can be used.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I discovered that my 250AI with it's 1:10 twist will shoot 100gn powder coated cast pills with great accuracy. The POA at 100yds is only 1.5" lower than jacketed bullets.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone chronographed any RL 17 loads ?Any improvement over 4350 ? With the shortage of most components around here I've been reluctant to do much chronographing and just save my components for hunting.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I thought I had some rlr-19 results from my 257 AI but I cant find it.

This was my latest effort.

257 AI 117 gn Hornady sp. 46 grs H-4831, 2970 fs

100 gn Hdy SP 46.5 grs H-4831 3150 fs.

This component shortage is a bad one. I just tried my local outlet for some SR primers to no avail, again. The price of components makes me glad I started swaging. faint

GL with your hunting loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think what sold me on the std. 250-3000 is its lack of recoil and bark, and its effect on game that always amazes me when I compared it to other calibers when the bullet hit..Also liked the std. 257 Roberts, mild of recoil and deadly.

If I feel the need for more velocity, more range, more bullet weight etc, Id drag out my 7x57 or 30-06,,

If forced to just one, Id keep my 30-06 and be done with it anywhere on earth..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote