New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 Remington
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It seems like every spherical powder I throw in my .223 Rem cases shoots great - maybe not like a target rifle, but whether it is Terminator X, H335, BL-C(2), CFE223, they all shoot an inch or better without even trying to find optimum OAL, powder charge, etc. I can't say the same about the .22-250 or the .220 Swift.

It has to be one of the most forgiving calibers ever.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another AZ Writer--My .223, a Win model 70 is very accurate and seems to shoot everything well with jacketed bullets. I can't get it to shoot cast bullets. The same cast bullets shoot well in my .222's and 22-250.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
It seems like every spherical powder I throw in my .223 Rem cases shoots great - maybe not like a target rifle, but whether it is Terminator X, H335, BL-C(2), CFE223, they all shoot an inch or better without even trying to find optimum OAL, powder charge, etc. I can't say the same about the .22-250 or the .220 Swift.

It has to be one of the most forgiving calibers ever.

O must have got very lucky with my 22-250 and 50gr vmax bullets. Some one suggested Varget I think 35.5 grains , tried a few up and down, but I put a couple in one hole, and that was good enough for me.

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you think the .223 isn't picky about its powders and shoots well with many then you should try its older but smaller brother, the .222. As good as the .223 might be, it will never quite match (on average) what the .222 can do in the accuracy department.

By the way, load both to the same pressures (there's no reason not to in a modern rifle) and you'll find that the .222 lags very little behind the .223 in velocity.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
If you think the .223 isn't picky about its powders and shoots well with many then you should try its older but smaller brother, the .222. As good as the .223 might be, it will never quite match (on average) what the .222 can do in the accuracy department.

By the way, load both to the same pressures (there's no reason not to in a modern rifle) and you'll find that the .222 lags very little behind the .223 in velocity.

My only .222 is a TC Contender 14 inch bbl.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .222's are not picky, just the opposite, seem to shoot anything.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
My .222's are not picky, just the opposite, seem to shoot anything.
Yes, that's what I was saying.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try AA-2700 in the bigger cases.
somewhere around 42-43 grs. in both cases does just fine.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako L-46, and a Rem 600,both in .222 and my son has a 223 Ruger older gun, they all shoot 1/2 inch consistently..Not particular about powders but I like H322 and H335, the new CFE223 is fine but its a 3/4" powder in both guns, needs more work...but why? It works best in med. size cases IMO..

I lose a little accuracy with the 60 gr. Hornady SP or HP, but that's been my deer load for 50 plus years without one failure, its shoots one inch and that'll do on deer for sure. I get an exit hole most of the time, and if not I recover a perfectly mushroomed bullet.

My kids and grandkids used the 222 on their first 5 or 6 deer, my grandson, now 28 has used no other gun for deer, coyotes etc. he is a rancher and shoots for meat, but has killed a couple of very nice bucks with it.. I gave him the Rem. and a dozen boxes of 60 gr. Hornadys and that will last him a lifetime. He sees no need for more gun..He has his 30-30 for elk.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those little Sako's are dandy.

I've had one since '72, shot the barrel out
on prairie dogs. .222mag.

Til the barrel gave out it never made a
group bigger than a dime no matter how many
shots.

It's now a .223 due to brass availability.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My L46 is the most accurate rifle I own. It was rechambered to 223 before I got it. Because of the slow twist, about 60 grains is the heaviest bullet it will shoot well. Good thing I don't really need heavier bullets....

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hook--Yeas and nays of shooting deer with a .223 get discussed here frequently. Many of the nays will concede that maybe it is marginal with either heavy bullets or "premium" bullets. Certainly not on a "trophy" deer (trophy deer are bullet proof as everybody knows). You can be assured that most of those advocating either heavier bullets or "premium" bullets have no actual experience shooting deer with a .223. 55 grain cup and core standard bullet placed in right spot kills a deer every bit as good as a large magnum. Bullet placement is the trump and accuracy does figure into that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 60 gr. Hornady for one reason alone it expands and holds together in a 222 or evend a 22-250 and that's amazing in itself..Not accurate at an inch to 1.3/4" but a deers vitals are pretty good size by comparison, and Ive been using it since 1955 or there abouts. Not that I disagree with your post..about any 22 caliber well placed bullet will kill deer unless they blow up on the hide, and that can sure happen if that hide is covering the shoulder blade..I had that happen one time in the 60 or more years of using the 22 varmint calibers, that's not a bad record..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know Eskimos have been killing a lot of things where they live with the 22 rimfire and the 223. The 223 does pretty well for them up there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Hook--Yeas and nays of shooting deer with a .223 get discussed here frequently. Many of the nays will concede that maybe it is marginal with either heavy bullets or "premium" bullets. Certainly not on a "trophy" deer (trophy deer are bullet proof as everybody knows). You can be assured that most of those advocating either heavier bullets or "premium" bullets have no actual experience shooting deer with a .223. 55 grain cup and core standard bullet placed in right spot kills a deer every bit as good as a large magnum. Bullet placement is the trump and accuracy does figure into that.

I have only killed 7 deer with 22s. Six with the 222 and one with the 223. All were antlerless, at distances from 100 to 175 yards, and all were with 55gr C&C bullets. All also dropped in their tracks and there were no pass throughs.

Although I prefer to have pass throughs, you can't have any better results than that! A pass through/blood trail is somewhat unnecessary when they're DRT....

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hook, results I have observed similar to what you describe, except, only two non pass throughs. Both of the non's were actually smaller deer than most of the others and possibly a little closer. Both cases a perfectly formed mushroom base was found just under the skin on the off side and both weighed 40 grains which is 72.7% retention.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir Eskimos kill Polar bear with such guns as the 25-35, 222, 223 is a favorite, they use what they have, When you have no choice you would be surprised how easy it is to kill with that gun. Phil Shomaker spoke of a store in the far north that had a large supply of solic nosed 25-35 made for the Eskimos to shoot seals with, Im sure a 25-35 solid placed in the brain or spine will kill what ever one shoots, be it a cape buffalo or even perhaps and elephant, that long 117 gr. bullet even in a soft point Hornday penetrates like hell..Ive seen it penetrate from the flank into the shoulder of a bull elk, and kill the elk wounded with a 7 mag. Success can come out of necessity for sure.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I like Varget and I have been using 62 and 65 grainers. both shoot equally well if I do my part.
Rifle is the Remington SPS tactical

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1958 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote