THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    SRM primers used in 22 Hornet?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SRM primers used in 22 Hornet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Researching 22 Hornet handloads via Google searching I found a forum where some posters were saying they have better accuracy using CCI450 small rifle magnum primers with Lil’Gun powder in the 22 Hornet.

I was shocked, I had never heard of anyone using powerful magnum primers in 22 Hornet before.
It is the complete opposite of reloading recipes I have in my manuals that show standard SR primers and pistol primers (Speer#14).

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve used sm pistol primers and Lil Gun in several 22hornets, for 20 years. Works great for me.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some lots of Hodgdon's Lilgun exhibit very high velocity spreads, a characteristic of that powder that has turned many people off from its use in the Hornet. It is possible that the use of small rifle "magnum" primers might tend to smooth out this erratic velocity pattern -- but as you say their use is not typically indicated with the small case and powder charges of the Hornet.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not just the 22 hornet but in several other small cases like the 25-20 and 30 carbine.
it seems counterintuitive but the on target results don't lie.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried different primers with Lil Gun in the hornet and found small pistol primers worked best for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm Using Magnum Small Pistol CCI 550 primers in my M43 Win. in .218 Bee and getting just over 3000 fps and 3/4 inch group sat 100 yds. with 12 gr. of Lil' Gun. Accuracy much improved over CCI SR primers!

Hip

Posts: 1818 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to shoot as much lil-gun powder as I could compress under a 45gr tsx bullet in my old super grade 22 Hornet, did so to maximize velocity to help stabilize the bullet, got nice round holes in paper at 200 yards, with powder being compressed to near pellet form, I used CCI-450 mag primers, accuracy was excellent, did shoot lengthways through a coyote at 88 yards pestering a cow down calving.

I now shoot the Speer 48gr bullets and a bit less lil-gun, still at 2900+ fps, and still using the CCI-450 primers, plenty of accuracy for 200 yard varminting, cool little cartridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There ya go, you tried it and it worked, no need for anyones input, just an offer for them to try...The bench rest never lies!! only experts have that priviledge! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of my Hornet loads use a spp, a few use a small pistol magnum primer, and one that uses a Rem 71/2.

with the Rem 7 1/2 primer load, it will shoot equally as well using a spp.

Rifle is a Ruger M77 Sporter, 20" barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of my small stuff works better with pistol primers, but I don't use LG.

At one point I tried large rifle magnum primers in 357Sig while experimenting with powders. The primer selection can make quite a difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 02 August 2020 16:22 Hide Post
Used to shoot as much lil-gun powder as I could compress under a 45gr tsx bullet in my old super grade 22 Hornet, did so to maximize velocity to help stabilize the bullet, got nice round holes in paper at 200 yards, with powder being compressed to near pellet form, I used CCI-450 mag primers, accuracy was excellent, did shoot lengthways through a coyote at 88 yards pestering a cow down calving.

Don't have much experience here, but I do like compressed load with small cases. I think without compression the initial spark from the primer may start the bullet prior to the powder burn. I think the compressed powder forms a barrier for this happening. It is just a theory but they shoot good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Federal 100 Small pistol primers in my Hornets for years. Reduced both the group size and the velocity SD. Not a LilGun convert, so I use WW296 and 300MP for powders.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:
quote:
posted 02 August 2020 16:22 Hide Post

Don't have much experience here, but I do like compressed load with small cases. I think without compression the initial spark from the primer may start the bullet prior to the powder burn. I think the compressed powder forms a barrier for this happening. It is just a theory but they shoot good.

gwahir, I ran that 45gr tsx load so hard because of twist on my old model 70 22 Hornet rifle, iirc it was made in 1947, checked twist several times, best I could come up with was around 15 7/8ths twist, did have the nice round holes at 200 yards in paper, but needed to make sure it was stable enough to bore a hole straight through an animal, it did, accuracy was great with the SPM primer, 2922 fps was not to shabby either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reloaded 50 previously fired Winchester cases, partial neck sized them all.
Used CCI 450 magnum small rifle primers.
Loaded 13 grs of Lil’Gun powder and seated Hornady 45 gr. Hornet bullets.
No Crimp was applied.

I fired them at range of 107yds (lasered) at a red 2” bullseye on my target paper.
Two 20 shot groups, 1 flyer per group landing just outside the red bullseye.
The last 10 shots rung the small steel plate at 190 yds.

These 2 groups are the best Lil’Gun groups I ever done with my Ruger K77 24” barrel.
I didn’t chrono them that’s a job for my next batch, but I could tell those pills we’re moving fast.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL, good deal greenjoy, you'll be in excess of 2900 fps, and yes sir it will drop a coyote or other pesky vermin, good for you, and glad to hear this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cci br4 works for me

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I got to the range to test a 22 Hornet handload I made back on 1 Oct 2020.
I changed two things with this load 1) used new Winchester cases as opposed to fired Winchester cases.
2) used a CCI 450 Magnum primer.
The powder charge was my usual 13.0 grs of LIL’GUN (purchased Dec.2012).
The bullet was Hornady 45 gr. Hornet #2230 a lead tipped spire point.
Rifle is a Ruger K77/22-VHZ 24” barrel, stainless steel rifle, with laminated wood stock.

Average of two 10 shot strings across my Shooting Chrony 2996 fps. I got a 149fps gain by switching from a CCI 500 small pistol primer to the CCI 450 small rifle magnum primer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using the rem 6 1/2 and lilgun. Half inch groups in my cz. I also crimp but have never bothered to see if it was an unnecessary step. I figured don't mess with success.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No crimp was used on my above mentioned handloads.
I used to apply a crimp, but one time I needed to pull a bullet. I used a kinetic hammer style bullet puller, the bullet was not yet crimped and considering how many hammer hard strikes were required to dislodge the bullet I decided applying a crimp was unnecessary.
My groups with the bullet not crimped improved very slightly.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Another one here using the Rem 6 1/2 primer and little gun. The accuracy is just stunning. I have made rifle guys openly curse and weep at the range.

I don't give a rats ass what it's velocity is. It will make one hole groups at 100 yards from my solid bench rest. 5 shots or 50, no wind, and don't be in a hurry and muff the shot.

This is a scoped 14" Contender handgun.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote