Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x284 or 6.5-06
 Login/Join

posted
I’m wanting a 6.5. I’m looking at at a Savage 111 LRH in 6.5x284. But I’v always liked 6.5-06. Just wanting some opinions on the two.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Welcome. Pretty much the same. I prefer the 06 case but nothing wrong with the 284.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I have the 6.5x284, 6.5x55, and a 6.5 Grendel. The advantage of all three is you can get Lapua brass for them vs having to make your cases from other brass.

If you travel to some international countries and are inspected, your brass has to have head-stamp's that match your rifle.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
With the 6.5/06 using 30/06 brass will require
neck reaming which I consider a pain in the arse.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
25-06 brass

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old back in "66" Akley chambered a 6.5X.284 for me.It had a deep throat to adequately handle 160gr. bullets Was not disappointed. The 6.5-06 is just as good but seating the long bullets out as far as they should may present a little problem with the magazine length. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the 6.5-284 and a 6.5-06AI. For your choices, I would go with the 6.5-06 (without the AI). It is extremely easy to make either from the 25-06 ad Paul suggests, or by simply trimming and sizing the 270 brass. Either is cheaper than buying the factory 6.5-284 brass. There really won't be any practical difference in the two since the 6.5-06 can be throated for anything you want to shoot, given it fits in the mag length.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the above plus...I have both a 6.5/284, XP-100 receiver, and a 6.5/284, SAV 111 LA switch bbl and I played with the '06 version way back and used 25-06, 270 and 280 cases(slightly longer cases). Lots of hair splitting as to which case is "better"...I really can't tell the difference in velo or accuracy as other factors can influence both. Lots of work continuing required of both the rifle and ammo development to produce a highly accurate, long range rifle...not so much for a very good deer popper.

All that being said, in today's world if I were to do another 6.5, I would opt for the 26 Nosler in a commercial milieu or a WSM/RUM case version or any of the other "fat" cased versions if I went wildcat, basically letting economics dictate...ammo is commercially available which helps and dies are MUCH cheaper than custom made. You can download to the lower velos or jack it up for more pizzazz.

Too many personal opinions, while helpful in many ways, can cloud the issue very easily(like I did with the 26 Nosler)...basically "your choice, make it and live with it" and don't look back.

LUCK beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NONAGONAGIN:
All the above plus...I have both a 6.5/284, XP-100 receiver, and a 6.5/284, SAV 111 LA switch bbl and I played with the '06 version way back and used 25-06, 270 and 280 cases(slightly longer cases). Lots of hair splitting as to which case is "better"...I really can't tell the difference in velo or accuracy as other factors can influence both. Lots of work continuing required of both the rifle and ammo development to produce a highly accurate, long range rifle...not so much for a very good deer popper.

All that being said, in today's world if I were to do another 6.5, I would opt for the 26 Nosler in a commercial milieu or a WSM/RUM case version or any of the other "fat" cased versions if I went wildcat, basically letting economics dictate...ammo is commercially available which helps and dies are MUCH cheaper than custom made. You can download to the lower velos or jack it up for more pizzazz.

Too many personal opinions, while helpful in many ways, can cloud the issue very easily(like I did with the 26 Nosler)...basically "your choice, make it and live with it" and don't look back.

LUCK beer

Wouldn't you have a problem extracting a loaded 6.5-06 round in the XP100?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, YeaYah...you miss read or I didn't make myself clear...the 6.5-06 was in a Rem 700 receiver, originally a 25-06 long past it'S prime, in those bad old days..."one 6.5/284 on a XP-100 receiver and and one on a SAV 111"...and yes...a loaded 140 gr SST or A-Max round or anything longer seated out to the lands once locked into the AR style or even the standard Rem clip type extractor, CANNOT BE EJECTED NORMALLY, I have to shoot it or pull the bolt. I made a neat tool to solve just that specific glitch, but found it was much easier NOT to chamber the round until I was sure I had a shot...or just wait for another critter to make a critical mistake...of course no problem in the 111. Big Grin Roll Eyes tu2

LUCK beer

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. I’m leaning toward the 6.5x284. The only rifles I can find chambered in it is Savage. I’m looking at the 11/111 LRH. Amy thoughts on this rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an old across the course high power rifle shooter, I value ease of feeding from the magazine, and the .284 case is in my experience a bear to get to feed properly.

The .284 case is essentially a beltless Magnum case with a rebated rim, all difficulties for an action designed around the .30-'06. Bench rest and long range shooters, who normally use single shots, prefer the shorter stockier case, which seems to have better burning qualities, but I find the difference marginal.

Lon Paul just finished building a 6.5X64 Brenneke for me, essentially the same as a 6.5-06, and he reports that after zeroing, the first three shots went into 1/2" inch, which is plenty good for me. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RRengineer:
Thanks for all the info. I’m leaning toward the 6.5x284. The only rifles I can find chambered in it is Savage. I’m looking at the 11/111 LRH. Amy thoughts on this rifle?

tu2Many of the rifles I have are Savage's. Every one has accurate barrels. The 6.5 X .284 I had was made from a 6.5 Araska. I had no feed problems. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might take a look at Accurate Shooter, http://www.accurateshooter.com/...some very good info there.

I've been doing this game a very, VERY long time and think EVERYONE should do a wildcat at least once in there life just to see how much of a PITA it can be...BUT...WHAT a learning experience. You WILL dip your tootsies into a DEEP POOL OF S*** with gold at the bottom and total enjoyment IF you take a shower and learn from experience.

That being said...with today's offerings I'm less and less thrilled at doing 'cats because I've done most of them already and commercially available "yesteryear's" wildcats are today's newest dreams.

LUCK tu2 Big Grin beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having had both, I too lean to the 6.5x284 just on brass. I have had the 6.5-284 in a Ruger No 1, a SMR custom, and 2 Nosler 48s and loved them all. I had no trouble with feeding in the Noslers and accuracy was fantastic. I used Nosler and Norma Brass and hunted with 125 Partitions and 130 Accubonds. My 06's were both Rogers Rifles Customs and they were wickedly accurate. On game performance was also great. They were all sold just to fund other rifles, but I am sure I will back to the 48. Truth be told though, in the field I see little difference between the 260/6.5 Creed, 6.5-06, 6.5x284 and the Swede. They have all put holes all the way through deer out to near 400 yards.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in my wildcatting days I have 6.5/06 Gibbs, that's about as much as one can push the neck on a 06 case, the shoulder looked like a cheap wedding ring...I shot a few deer expecting the sky to fall and angels to surround up but the first deer ran off and tracked it for 75 yards and shot it again..The next one ran 20 yards..All prejudice and cussing that came about from my disappointment the results were the same as Ive had with the 270, 3006 and few other rifles, they killed but nothing spectacular took place, the heavens remained, the sky stayed blue, no flashes of lightening except when it was raining..

Sometimes we all live in a world of unreasonable expectations! nilly

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 6.5-06 on a Springfield action with Pac-Nor barrel. I use Remington 270 Winchester for the brass I need. Use Winchester brass for my 270'S. You need to watch the 6.5'S as to throat length, if you wish to shoot the shorter bullets. The 6.5 A-Square has a long throat, about .240, and the 6.5-06 about .060 same as the 30-06. Because of ease of reloading and cheap brass, I chose the 6.5-06. Since I don't use many short actions, overall length is of no issue to me. Have fun it'll be a good project no matter which one you get.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
With the 6.5/06 using 30/06 brass will require
neck reaming which I consider a pain in the arse.

I've never neck reamed any of my 6.5x06 case's from 30-06.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, .25-06 brass requires one pass through the 6.5-06 sizing die and you’re done. No fuss no worries.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Sometimes we all live in a world of unreasonable expectations! nilly

old Some time we live in the world of boyhood expectations. And that ain't all bad. beerroger