New
Find
Notify
Tools

ramshot powder comparisons
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm shooting a 6.5x47 Lapua cartridge. There isn't much data on this yet. I've followed the lead of others who are loading for this with RL-15, H-4350, Varget. here is some info on it..

http://www.6mmhot.com/

I'm wanting to try the Ramshot powders, Biggame, and Hunter with this. Is there some type of ball parking that can be done in my head? Such s Varget weight +3.0 grains ?? Or anything like it at all. I e-mailed Ramshot and haven't gotten a responce yet.

bugling elk-proof that God exists

Posts: 52 | Location: N.W. Montana | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if you have seen this article about reloading that new cartridge. 6.5x47 Lapua
As for Ramshot powder vs. others, it sure looks like the 7mm-08 would be Varget + 4 gr would approximate the maximum Big Game loads. The Hunter powder burning rate is closer to Reloder 19, maybe like IMR-4350 - 4 gr or so.
Obviously, with such a new cartridge, one needs to proceed cautiously, hopefully with a good chronograph (if not a strain guage and PBL)
Good Luck, the cartridge sure sounds like a winner.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fella from Ramshot did get back to me with these.....

Use Ramshot Hunter...

Bullet weights 120gr.-123gr.
Starting load, 39.6gr. - 2700 - 2800 fps
Max. load, 44.0gr. compressed, 2950-3050 fps

bullet weights 140gr.
starting load, 37.8gr. - 2550-2650 fps.
max. load, 42.0gr. compressed, 2800-2900 fps.

I just bedded the action last night. I've been needing to do that but just not getting around to it. I plan on loading up and trying some loads today.

tootalloutdoors

bugling elk-proof that God exists

Posts: 52 | Location: N.W. Montana | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote