THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Seafire's incredible Blue Dot loads

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seafire's incredible Blue Dot loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been occasionally shooting some of the Blue Dot loads that Seafire has pioneered and posted on the forum. Yesterday I was testing a new full-power load (with another powder) for my .223 at 200 yards. When I was through, I thought I might try some of the Blue Dot loads I've been toying with just for fun (50 gr Hornady Spire Point propelled by 13.5 gr. Blue Dot @ 2850 fps). To my surprise, the 5-shot one-inch group was dead on the bullseye -- remember, this is 200 yards -- had a three shot subgroup in a single hole, and this is with just a 7x scope!

That Blue Dot is magic stuff! It also works wonders in a .22 Hornet and K-Hornet, with velocities only about 200 fps below "full power" loads. Since I use my Hornets for shorter/lighter shooting anyway, the mild Blue Dot loads are just the ticket.

THANKS, Seafire! (And apologies for not recognizing others who have independently worked with Blue Dot themselves.)

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what's a good Hornet load? I never gave it a thought for my Hornet, just use Lil' Gun but more choice would be good.

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've used it with the .223 and .308, definately great stuff. I need to try it with my daughters 221 f-ball.

I've even found a great load with a 275 gr swc in my 480.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is this Seafire Character? bewildered

( PS, thanks for the Kudos.... Blush....)

beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAYB:
what's a good Hornet load? I never gave it a thought for my Hornet, just use Lil' Gun but more choice would be good.

John

I'll have to check my notes at home, but I believe that I'm using 6.5 grains with a 35 grain Hornady V-Max. As I recall, it runs around 2700 fps and is unbelievably devastating on small varmints like prairie dogs. Even the thin-walled Hornet brass hardly knows it's been fired with this load -- brass should last forever.

UPDATE: I checked my notes and I'm actually using 6.7 grains of Blue Dot with a 35 gr HNDY V-Max.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It's time to extend my thanks to Seafire as well. I must admit being very hesitant at first and figured surely this will not show much benefit. But I am quick to admit I was very wrong!

I've been shooting the Blue Dot loads in a .223 for a while now and will even give it a whirl in a .308 WCF before long. So far, the accuracy with virtually ANY 50-53 grain bullet has been excellent.

Thanks for sharing your BLue Dot loads with the AR world!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9333 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Same deal with the .308. With full patch loads zeroed 2 1/2" high at 100 yds, the blue dot loads are dead on at 100.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep ... excellent info seafire has publicised! The 7.62x54R carbine is a pussycat with a Blue Dot load and I'm now using more Blue Dot in the 358Win with a 158gr pistol projectile then anything else. Started experimenting with it in a Martini Cadet 222Rimmed AI and tomorrow its true versatility will be explored ... introducing a 12YO lad to the wonderful sport of shooting via a rimfire and reduced Blue Dot 308Win load with 110gr V-Max if he's upto it. I think he's game and once the addictive "boom" and gentle caress is felt ... we'll have another one in the ranks thumb
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Seafire, any loads for the 6mm? I need some cheapo fireforming loads to 6mm AI

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Tyler-Actually, what works best for fireforming is using a powder that is slow enough to give 100+ percent load density (compressed load) and still fast enough to fully form the case -- and with a bullet that gets as close as possible to the rifling.

This gives the case the utmost in support during fireforming and stresses the brass the very least.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9333 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Tyler-Actually, what works best for fireforming is using a powder that is slow enough to give 100+ percent load density (compressed load) and still fast enough to fully form the case -- and with a bullet that gets as close as possible to the rifling.

This gives the case the utmost in support during fireforming and stresses the brass the very least.

thumb thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted this on "Lever Actions", but it seems appropriate to post it here too.
-----

Some of the first loads through the new 444MAR were 240gr XTPs using both "2400" and Blue Dot. Somewhere in all the Loads you posted on the Reloading Board, I believe you had mentioned 26gr of Blue Dot was MAX for your rifle. So I started Low and worked up measuring PRE as I went. In this new rifle, it seems that 24-25gr is MAX. But, I need to verify the Benchmark Pressure with a box of Factory Ammo, and then try the Loads in those cases.

Got it on the paper and then backed it up. Two shots made an enlarged hole with the Blue Dot at 100yds. The previous shots had made a nice group, so I went up 1gr and couldn't see the Hole. Second shot sent a clothes pin flying, so I knew where it went. Walked to the target and the first hole had apparently been directly in front of the clothes pin, so it just looked like the clothes pin. But the next one clipped the end of it making an overlapping hole for two shots. Amazing for me because I know I can't shoot that well on purpose any more. Had to stop at that time, but this one does seem to like the Blue Dot too.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where can I find Seafire's Bluedot load info. It does not show up on a search of this forum. Thanks...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have said it before and will say it again, Thank you Seafire! I have been using Blue Dot in my 8mm mauser and in my Enfields. Sure is the best for plinking in my opinion.

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
So the bulk remington bullets would be best for fireforming with a slow bulky powder?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Tyler-Yes, they'd be fine. I generally use the cheapest bullet I can for fireforming with the exception of the 7mm Bullberry. I start with 7mm US brass, and the fireforming loads give up precious little in velocity and accuracy to the "regular" loads. So these even get used for hunting varmints, etc.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon:
Where can I find Seafire's Bluedot load info. It does not show up on a search of this forum. Thanks...
Hey Jon, Go to the Reloading Board, then up to the "Find" button, and type in Blue Dot Loads. Seafire has put in a lot of time and effort on his Reduced Loads, and has been generous enough to share it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon:

you can search for it...

OR...

you could just send this seafire character a PM and he will probably answer it if you tell him what cartridge.. or cartridges you were interested in load data....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, check your PMs.

I would really appreciate .223 Blue Dot loads.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tried blue dot in 223, 308, 30-06, 8*57, 7.5*55, 35 Whelen, 338 mag, and 44 Mag. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post.

I must admit that I'm very intrigued by Seafire's Blue Dot loads. I whipped-up a batch of 50 rounds to test with the new Barnes 36gr .224 Varmint Grenades. I loaded 10 rounds each of 12, 12.5, 13, 13.5 & 14 grains. Looking forward to testing these out. One thing is for sure... 1 lb of powder will stretch a loooong way with these loads.

Posts: 3 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jake,

I'll be interested to know how those turn out...

max load with the 36 grainers should be at 14.5 grains...I presume a bolt action...

I haven't tried the Barnes...but I have tried the 37 grain HP Calhoon...acuracy was great and the MV was about 3350 fps.. which I can live with easily...

for the dirt cheap economic, but still giving good accuracy ( minute of sage rat easily out to 250 to 300 yds) is 13.5 grains of Blue Dot, behind a 55 grain Hornady bulk bullet ( $71.00 /thousand from Grafs)...

every time I have tried to order the Varrmint Nightmares, they have been out...

posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'll test these in a .223 Rem 700 SPS Varmint SS. I could test in an M4 AR, but that would be new to me. I've never fed it anything but cannelured 55gr FMJ's.

I'm anxious to try these "lead-free" pills (Varmint Grenades). It's likely that I won't get to test these until 8/4 or 8/5.

posted Hide Post
I noticed that Midsouth has those 55gr Varmint Nightmare in-stock for $29.77 (500 pack).

They also have the 50/55gr Varmint Nightmare X-Treme in-stock for $34.74 (500 pack).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Note to all...

Blue Dot loads reduce recoil enough that they will not cycle either an AR bolt or a Ruger Mini 14 Bolt...

Sorry, but that is the down side of them if you are not a bolt action guy..

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
...Blue Dot loads reduce recoil enough that they will not cycle either an AR bolt or a Ruger Mini 14 Bolt.....
That was on the Plus Side for one of my buddies. He did well to lean over long enough to tie his shoes due to health problems. So the excellent Blue Dot Loads allowed him to use an M16 variant without bothering other folks to pick up his cases.

I can see where the Spray an Pray folks would be disappointed though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Seafire! Great info.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks from Sweden too! Smiler
The blue dot loads seem to work with almost everything. I think one of the reasons for the good results, is that recoil is much less and the noise too.
Just makes me shoot better!

Posts: 168 | Location: North of the Arctic circle,in Sweden | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just thought I'd add this also.. since it is a great benefit to using Blue Dot, especially in a varmint shooting environment...Cooler Barrels..

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5411043/m/157100696

This hasn't had much viewing on that forum for some reason...but I consider it good info, and a great feature on top of just the accuracy and consistency blue dot delivers...