Find
Notify
Tools

Which scope for a 22-250
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Current 22-250 barrel and action is a GLOSS along with the VX II 4x12x40.

Sending it off for a new Shilen barrel and rebluing. It will come back a nice matt.

Being picky a gloss scope on a matt rifle doesn't float my boat. Was thinking about a Burris FF II 4.4x14x42.

Other thoughts. Don't think I need more that 14. Also don't need a super high $$ scope.

Has anyone tried the "Predator Quest 4.5-14x42mm Ballistic Plex E1 Reticle"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the Leupold VX-3i in 4.5-14x40LR or AO with the Varmint reticle. It seems a little busy at first, but I have found it to be a very effective reticle if most of your shooting is not at running vermin. And the VX-3i is $100 cheeper than the VX-3.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
4.5-14x40LR or AO with the Varmint reticle

That appears to be same type reticle as the EI Burris

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quintus:
Look at the Leupold VX-3i in 4.5-14x40LR or AO with the Varmint reticle. It seems a little busy at first, but I have found it to be a very effective reticle if most of your shooting is not at running vermin. And the VX-3i is $100 cheeper than the VX-3.

That is the combination my 22-250 wears and I couldn't be happier!

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not get the same scope in a matt finish? Or am I missing something?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy the Leupold I use to be a big Burris fan until they screwed around on a warranty for 2 years.

The scope went back and forth 6 times before the finely gave me a new one.

I now buy Leopold's

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nikon Monarch 4X16X42 with Mil-Dot reticle is what my Savage 12fv wears and I love it.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why not get the same scope in a matt finish? Or am I missing something

Nope not missing anything.

I installed that scope on that rifle over 20 years ago. Still looks new and works fine. Since that time I've pretty much switched to Burris. Mainly good quality and a touch cheaper. My Ar 223s wear the Burris 4.5x14. At times the 14 comes in handy. Darn eyes are 65 yrs old now. Roll Eyes So unless something sells me on newer and better I'll probably get the Burris 4.5x14.

As I started looking to make a purchase I saw the new reticles with windage built in etc.

So I probably didn't ask my question correctly.

If you have used the Leupold Varmint reticle or "Burris version what are your thoughts?
coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Zeiss 2.5x10 with a built in range finder, absolutely fantastic on a 223 Blaser

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are already happy with the scope you have, just have it hydro-diped any camouflage patern or color you desire.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the jigger:
Nikon Monarch 4X16X42 with Mil-Dot reticle is what my Savage 12fv wears and I love it.

I like that scope too. I put mine on my Anschutz .17 HMR. Lights out for the ground squirrels!

I also have two Buckmaster 6-18X42 mil-dot scopes, one on my el cheapo Stevens 200 in .223, the other on the ugliest rifle ever made: my .225 post-64 Mod 70 Win.

Love them all. They've made me a very happy camper.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have used the Leupold Varmint reticle or "Burris version what are your thoughts?

I have the leopuld varmint reticle I find these types to crowded I like a plain mil-dot or ballistic plex better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two of the Leupold VX2 6-18 x40 AO scopes with the Long Range Duplex. I was extremely pleased with their performance in the squirrel fields last spring. I was blowing them up out to 350 yds with a Sako L461 .222. The 1" tube and relatively short length don't over power the petite rifle. My Palma stocked Savage 22-250 will be sporting a VX3 6.5-20x40 LR with Varmint Hunter reticle, short turrets and 30mm tube. I was using a VX3 8-25x50 VH on it but I don't like the big objective or tall turrets. The VH reticle has windage dots which help with hold off at longer ranges when the wind is blowing, which it usually is. The VH is a great reticle, I wish that I could have put it in the VX2s but the would only fit the LR duplex on that model. I also feel the big objective is overkill when you are shooting these thing in the middle of the day.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VX2 4-12 matt fine duplex on mine

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gloss or matt, wouldn't make any difference to me but to each his own, It does bring to mind that the only difference in men and boys is the cost of mens toys!! Smiler Don't get excited I'm as guilty as the next guy on that count.. Roll Eyes

..I like a 4x12x40 or 50,don't care..Many shots are close enough that the 4X comes in real handy..I mostly shoot coyotes and Rock Chucks, a few Jack Rabbits and have shot a few deer with the 22-250, Its a great caliber...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyone's input. First if the gloss scope was going to simply sit on the shelf it would have stayed on the 22-250.

I have to remove it to have the barrel replaced and reblued anyway. Either it or a new scope will need to be sighted back in. Comparing my 20+ yr. of VXII 4x12 to my 5 yr. old Burris FFII 4.5x14x42 to me it seems the Burris is clearer/brighter.

So I ordered a new Burris 4.5x14x42. Decided against the FI a friend simply said it was too much for him to worry about. He is more anal than I am. Wink The VXII will simply bump a Simmons off a 243. So the 243 wins and my new 22-250 barrel will have no excuse because my old eyes will be able to see better. Sounds like a win/win. dancing

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I ordered a new Burris 4.5x14x42

A good choice my favorite p dog gun wears a 4 to 16 Burris.

A lot of dead Pdogs with that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a 4-12 x on a 22-250 and found it a little lacking in power. Moved up to a 4-16x and found it to be perfect for the 22-250 trajectory.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote