Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts four planes game
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted
Hello everyone just wondering if the 257 Roberts would be adequate for plaines game? I'm trying to talk my wife into a planes games safari and I'm wondering if the 257 Roberts (custom built FN Mauser) which she really loves would be adequate for most planes game? If not she also has a Browning x bolt 7mm-08 youth model (she does not like that as much as she likes her custom Mauser) would that be better for her to take to Africa.

I would hand load 120 grain nosler partitions, Swift A-frames, or Barnes triple shocks for her to use.

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Plains game covers a lot of different animals. Impala, springbok and other deer-sized plains game would be perfectly fine for a 257 Rbts. Oryx, hartebeest, kudu, other elk-sized game and warthog maybe not so much. Just my opinion, of course, but I have been there and taken these animals myself.

The last thing anyone wants to do is hit, wound and lose an animal; that is a truly awful experience.

My $.02

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to talk to your PH about the 257roberts before you go. The PH we hunt with suggests using nothing less than a 270 for plains game.

I’ve had a couple 257roberts and used them on deer. Personally, I think it’s a bit light for plains game. You never know what you will see hunting in Africa, zebra, kudu, oryx, eland and wildebeest are all large animals.

That 7mm08 with a heavy well constructed bullet would be a better choice than the 257roberts.

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now we know who shot the engine off the plane in Colorado (with his 257 Bob). That was just the first of 4 so I hope the subsequent 3 planes don't prove more tragic!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Now we know who shot the engine off the plane in Colorado (with his 257 Bob). That was just the first of 4 so I hope the subsequent 3 planes don't prove more tragic!

Zeke

I guess some people just don't have anything better to do then to make poor jokes at others expense!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess some people just don't have anything better to do then to make poor jokes at others expense![/QUOTE]

Well Mr. 460, I guess you're right.
Had I known you were easily offended, I'd have kept my cruel joke to myself.
I'll crawl back in the hole from whence I came.
Carry on please.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
I guess some people just don't have anything better to do then to make poor jokes at others expense!

Well Mr. 460, I guess you're right.
Had I known you were easily offended, I'd have kept my cruel joke to myself.
I'll crawl back in the hole from whence I came.
Carry on please.

Zeke[/QUOTE]

Got ya! I was joking also! Lol!!

You see I was using voice recognition on my phone to write my question and like a dummy I missed that my phone used the wrong spelling for "plains game"!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny you'd say that!

I use those damn voice-texts all the time and invariably stick my foot in my mouth.
No blood, no foul.

I'd better go for now and change into a cleaner t-shirt and see what my mommy is fixing for my dinner. LOL

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
adequate for most plains game?

Yes, while I will concede that the 7mm-08 would be a slightly better choice on paper, I would prefer that she hunted with the rifle that she is most comfortable with. Take the 257. Proper shot placement is always key. Don't take marginal shots, practice with shooting sticks, practice off hand, practice and then practice some more. Hope she goes for it. You will have a great time.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Confidence in your rifle due to familiarity and the rifle's accuracy is worth gold.
Shot placement too, but who is such a good shot as to guarantee perfect kills? Not most of us.
A 257 Roberts is a great cartridge for the smaller antelope (blesbuck/ impala downwards) but far from ideal for anything bigger.
In fact, it is illegal for the bigger animals such as kudu, let alone inadvisable.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that 257 Roberts is fine for the smaller plains game including blu wildebeest. Must use good bullets, of course. Lots of African residents use a 243.

I'll bet that Swift Sirocco 100 gr. .257 bullet at 3000+ fps would be perfect. I would not hesitate to use it on blu wildebeest.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
A blue wildebeest is a very tough animal that has a reputation for running for many miles even when well hit.
We can debate the issue in circles but it remains illegal anyway, if I remember correctly.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed quite a few wildebeest with 375 HH down to 7x64. Yes, they are tough but they never went 80 yds with a good hit and good bullet.
Last year my grandson killed a wildebeest at 100 yds. with a 30-30 single shot, 100 gr CEB Raptor bullet at 2,300 fps.
Is there a legal minimum cal. for farm hunts?

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
I am not sure, but understand that there is still a legal minimum (6.5mm, I think) for high fenced farms. There are still a great many ranches that are not high fenced, mine included, though we fall under Conservancy regulations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Properly approached and the bullet of proper construction, and properly placed will kill all of the PG of Africa, and even some of the DG as a matter of fact..Ive killed too many elk with a 25-35 to ever doubt that the 257 will kill Eland and Blue wildebeest, the two larger of the PG animals. The lady will do fine with a bit of practice and a good PH and staff..I recall a small framed teenage beauty the killed everything with a 22-250 and a 220 Swift on one hunt, all one shot kills, all at under a 100 yards, thats what makes the main difference, shorten the range to match the caliber..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im tempted to say you could even kill five! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote