THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    CZ 527 17 Hornet trouble resizing brass

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 527 17 Hornet trouble resizing brass
 Login/Join

posted
I purchased a new cz 527 in 17 hornet and am having a heck of a time resizing brass very very difficult.

Anyone have a similar problem with this combination?

I reload 25+different calibers and have never experienced anything approaching this. I am using Redding FL dies and have tried a variety of lubes.

Thank You

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What sort of problem? I'm using Hornady Custom Grade Dies, no problem.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could you please describe the problem you are having resizing the brass. I reload for the CZ 572 in .17 Hornet and have had no problems. I use Hornady dies with a full-length sizer die. I also have a Redding neck-sizer die that I have no problems with.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies

The cases are sticking in the dies, to the point I have to work the case in and out about 5 times before it will go in all the way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded for a couple of rifles where the die seemed to be considerable smaller than the fired cartridge. I would lube the case, size it partially, lube the case a little more, and then push it on into the die completely. I also sometimes put more lube near the base of the case, as that is the hardest place to size. However, all of tis has been with larger cases. My .17 Hornets size quite easily. I would also recommend you clean the die with a good solvent to make sure there is not a build-up of lube or something else in the die. A lot of dies come with a coating of some kind of preservative. Make sure that is removed. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of the above. If nothing changes, see if you can find another set/brand of dies and try them. Or, call Redding and see what they have to say.

Let us know what transpires.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The Hornet case is such a tiny one I can't see that it would put up any resistance to resizing such as one may get when resizing the large bore nitro express cases. I've found Imperial Wax to be the best for any resizing job. Check the adjustment of your die, I'm assuming the die has a decapper rod with a neck sizing expander plug, make sure the rod is adjusted so the expander plug is not partially in the neck as the case neck is being sized down i.e. the expander plug is too high up in the die.
There is not a lot of room in the short Hornet case so the decapper rod has to be carefully adjusted.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have you measured anything?
like a fired case, a sized case, and a factory case?
you might not only be having trouble sizing the case but you might be working them to death in the process.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
measure cases - you might juwt have an oversized hamber

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I have found some posts on other sites about the CZ 527 in 17 Hornet having very excessive chambers and the same difficulty in resizing brass. Comparing my fired brass with some new unfired cases it appears my rifle has one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might still be able to mail in 3-4 cases to lee and have them make you a custom die.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd make a call to CZ USA and discuss the issue with them, you might be pleasantly surprised.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a Lee Collet die. You only need to resize the necks, anyway. Your cases will last a lot longer and you may experience better accuracy.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Get a Lee Collet die. You only need to resize the necks, anyway. Your cases will last a lot longer and you may experience better accuracy.

I don't see a collet die for the 17 Hornet on Lee's website.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

I don't see a collet die for the 17 Hornet on Lee's website.

Check with them to see what it costs to get one made. It used to be only $50, but that was a while back.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought a Redding neck sizing die and that is working nicely. I will check with CZ USA and see if they offer a solution.

Thanks to everyone

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tigershabu:
I bought a Redding neck sizing die and that is working nicely. I will check with CZ USA and see if they offer a solution.

Thanks to everyone
Sounds like your Redding Neck die is the solution. Used in the same chamber at Hornet pressures I can't see you ever needing to resize your cases any more than simple neck sizing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad the neck sizing die is working for you. I use a lot of them, but after several firings you usually need to full-length size the brass. I use the Hornady tool to measure a once-fired case that chambers easily and set the die so the shoulder is set back 0.001-0.002". I generally start with minimum sizing and generally increase only as it is necessary. Once I have the die set for that chamber I try to not move it again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:I generally start with minimum sizing and generally increase only as it is necessary. Once I have the die set for that chamber I try to not move it again.
Dale's method of "full length" sizing is the proper one. However, it appears that the FL die which Tigershabu has is excessively tight for his chamber, so it may not be possible to set the (very minimal) shoulder of the Hornet case back without squeezing the body of the case excessively.

Like I said, at Hornet pressure you may very well never need to do anything other than neck size. But if more sizing is eventually required then you'll probably need a new FL die -- possibly one custom made to fit the fat chamber of the rifle.