THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Best PRONGHORN-only cartridge?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best PRONGHORN-only cartridge?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to argue with a 270 Win. You can load a 130 to 3250 FPS with RL 22.
Or a 270 Wea. to 3450 FPS with the same bullet.
A 257 Wea to about 3500 with a 115.
All shoot extremely flat.
Not sure a std whitetail reg is the same. I want to be able to carry that gun. Not so much walking in speed goats. Take a heavier rifle you can hold steady for longer ranges if required if you have one.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Hard to argue with a 270 Win. You can load a 130 to 3250 FPS with RL 22.
Or a 270 Wea. to 3450 FPS with the same bullet.
A 257 Wea to about 3500 with a 115.
All shoot extremely flat.
Not sure a std whitetail reg is the same. I want to be able to carry that gun. Not so much walking in speed goats. Take a heavier rifle you can hold steady for longer ranges if required if you have one.

Interesting comments.

I've never hunted in Texas. I hunt Antelope in Colorado & Wyoming, and I do a lot of walking to get close to Pronghorn, which I like to do actually.

Why is there little walking in Texas to hunt them? Just curious.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ColoradoMatt
Dress your own antelope. Trim all of the silver out. Don't let the butchers grind your meat without you watching. Best tasting game out there. I have shot and eaten a lot of antelope from Wyoming.
Gary

Posts: 461 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed a few with my 270 and a bunch with my 243. The 243 is my go to rifle for antelope, flat shooting and hard hitting with a 95gr Berger with a charge of H4350. Only need 9.0 MOA up from a 200 yard zero to be dead on at 600 yards at 5000ft in elevation.

I always process my own game and antelope is better to me than whitetail. When in Wyoming hunting them, I clean and quarter them as soon as possible and put them on ice until I cut them up. Seasoned with some Tony Chachere's and a little worcestershire sauce and chicken fried.....good eats!!

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Antelope only is .25-06 in a Ruger No. 1B with a Leupold 4 to 12 scope.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3814 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryG:
ColoradoMatt
Dress your own antelope. Trim all of the silver out. Don't let the butchers grind your meat without you watching. Best tasting game out there. I have shot and eaten a lot of antelope from Wyoming.
Gary

I’m not sure if you fully read and understood my comment. I love the taste of antelope, I stated that I don’t like Sage grazed mule deer. I processed that eastern CO antelope myself. Other than the backstraps, I ground everything 1/2 & 1/2 with pork shoulder and Italian sausage seasoning. It made for great spaghetti and lasagna for quite a while.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think any of the hot 6.5 cartridges would be the cat's meow for pronghorn. I've used the 6.5 x 280 AI (I'm using it again on Thursday) and the 6.5 WSM on several pronghorn and they're pretty awesome.

I have to agree with most posters, however. Almost, if not all, cartridges suitable for deer would work very well on pronghorn.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The rifle "platform and scope" has as much to do with it than the actual cartridge. IMHO

I like light rifles for mule deer since the hiking can be long and steep. I like a bit more length, weight and bigger scope for pronghorn since the hiking is mostly level and because we all shoot better with a bit more rifle mass.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would pick from one of three I shoot extensively. .257 Wby 100 gr. Barnes TSX 3600 fps with a 6X24 Burris Signature. 270 WSM 130 gr. North Fork 3450 fps with a 4.5X14 Ziess Conquest. 6.5 PRC 130 gr. Barnes 3300 fps with a 5X25 Ziess. I would have a hard time picking, they are all one holers when the shooter does his part. Good Shooting

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it turns out, my wife and I pulled (5) Antelope tags this year between Colorado & Wyoming.

I've decided to open the season with my 280 Rem. this year. Now, I have to decide on the next two calibers.

I believe this year the nod will go to my new AHR 6.5x55 that Wayne made for me, and then I must go back to my 25-06!

My Lord, I love Antelope hunting... dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ideal cartridge just has to be the .257 Weatherby. Minimal recoil, best in class against the wind to 400 yards, flattest trajectory to 400 yards, bullets made to open on game the size of goats, cool as hell case and designed by the Godfather of the magnum. A testament to the design, there still is no better than the .257 and .270 Weatherby mags after 75 years in their respective calibers. .240Wby and 25-06 would have to be tied for 2nd with the new 6.5 PRC coming in 4th.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
6.5X284

That's 732 yards

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 257 Wby. with the 80 grain TTSX and a max charge of XMR3100. According to Barnes this load yields 3597 fps. You should be able to see the hit in the scope before the recoil moves you off target. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, I took my 280 Rem. this year as I previously stated. Shot a 16" Pronghorn buck here in Colorado on Monday.

He is my best Antelope in 25 years of hunting them.

I love my 25-06 for Pronghorns, but the 280 works just fine! Used Win. Ballistic Silvertip 140 gr. bullet.

Pics are in the 'Medium Bore' forum under the thread title '280 Rem. & 35 Whelen'.

My taxidermist unofficially scored him at 83 4/8. He said he will have him officially scored soon.

I've never had any of my trophies officially scored, and didn't ask for him to be scored, but my taxidermist asked if he could. So this will be something new...

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
270 for me. tu2

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
1) Best Whitetail Deer cartridge = 270W

2) Best Pronghron Antelope cartridge = 270W

3) Best __________________ cartridge = 270W

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
6.5X284

That's 732 yards

You do realize that is not an antelope, right?

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did anyone mention the 26 Nosler?

Now that is an antelope cartridge!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Atkinson

Atkinson-i think your on the right road here, i got into the 250 savage 4 years ago and found mo one had updated it with all these new powders out now. my savage m-1920 1:14 tw shoots sierra 90gr BTHP with varget to 3058 FPS avg. 3/4" at 100yds.
dropped this whitetail last year in wva 137 yds 1 shot heart and lungs disappeared DRT. recoil is so mild its incredible how hard this round hits, built a PRS rifle 26" 1:10 tw, it shoots Berger 110gr match/hunter with 40grs reloader 17 to 3080 FPS!!! the 250 savage has become a very efficient cartridge!!!!! goats be ware
42 grs varget and hornady 75gr VMAX =3470 FPS and 1/2" at 100yds in 1920.
SB

Posts: 6 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 08 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your deer!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I use mostly Muzzleloaders my first one was with what I had a 50.

I built up a 45 cal ML just for antelope. Since it is hard to draw the tag, it is has been doing business as a deer rifle too. But I prefer the 45 for Antelope.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Very nice Pronghorn, and with a muzzle loader no less.