New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another 243 is on my mind
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have Ruger M77 International 243 which I get excellent accuracy with. Until a couple of weeks ago it has been years since I shot it. I loaded some Sierra 85 grain bthp and that is a great shooting load. I’m one grain under max with IMR 4064 and getting 2800 fps out of it’s 18.5 inch barrel, I’ll probably stay there.

That got me wanting another 243 with a 22-24 inch barrel and I’ve reviewed nearly all of them and haven’t gotten near selecting one. Winchester, Weatherby, CZ, Ruger, etc. Naturally, I want one that has the best chance of good accuracy (moa or better). I’m getting too old to chase accuracy. Also, I prefer an internal magazine but I could live with a detachable magazine if I had to. Medium weight or less. I’m leaning towards either a Winchester Feather Weight or a Weatherby Vanquard but I’m open to others. There’s no difference to me if one’s blued steel and walnut or stainless and synthetic.

Primary use will be as a range rifle with very little hunting. I have a great selection of other hunting rifles. My reason for a 243 instead of perhaps a 6.5 Creedmore is I’m already set up for 243 except I could use more brass. There’s a new shooting range opening about 6 miles up the road from me that I’ve already joined. It will be great shooting with others. I’m blessed with a place to shoot very near my home but I’m usually by myself.

While reviewing the different options, I was set back at the lack of availability. I know everything is short right now, but hunting rifles being scarce surprised me since most people I know are only buying low price point rifles.

Help set me on the right path. Thanks

Joe

Posts: 150 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I have a Howa 1500 (same as the Weatherby Vanguard) that's as accurate as any rifle I own. It will put 85 grain TSXs into tiny groups with Varget.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Howa/Vanguard are very good. Top sellers in Australia and in 243.

Tikka ... I have never had anything to do with them but they have a fantastic reputation in Australia and remember that in Australia very high volume shooting is the thing. Tikka are asos low price area. Might be different in America because in Australia all riflw brands are imported.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems that I’ll have ample time to make up my mind since after searching the web all I see is “out of stock”. I’ve searched for Winchester, Weatherby, Howa, CZ, and Tikka. Also, no luck searching for brass for 2 different rifle cartridges. They’ll all show up sooner or later. No hurry.

As of now, the Weatherby and the Howa are my 2.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve gone shooting.

Joe

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Wonder if an AR-10 can be had in 243 if you are into that sort of thing. Maybe a Fulton Armory.

Since you have a carbine already what about Savage 14. pretty rifle , I have one in 250-3000.

Posts: 6351 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Wonder if an AR-10 can be had in 243 if you are into that sort of thing. Maybe a Fulton Armory.

Since you have a carbine already what about Savage 14. pretty rifle , I have one in 250-3000.

I’m pretty sure the AR 10 is available in 243 but would be heavy for this 72 year old and probably out of my price range. I have 2 old pre Remington Bushmasters.

I need to check ou the Savages knowing they are usually very accurate. I’m not sure if they still offer an internal magazine or not.

Thanks

Joe

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Either the Howa or the Vanguard should shoot well with this load:

Winchester brass
38.0 grains Varget
85 grain TSX2.730 COAL
CCI LR primer

3150 FPS across my chrony

As always with Copper monos, the seating depth is critical to each individual rifle and probably will have to be adjusted for your rifle. Start a couple grains down and work up. When you get to pressure you should be able to adjust COALin .010 increments to find the best accuracy.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The Savage 14 has an all steel detachable flush magazine that puts any german gun to shame. I've said that before.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been happy with my Win 70, using it for several years no complaints. I use 100 grain cup and cores.

Posts: 3795 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can buy a used Sako L579 or AII .243 in great condition for about what you would pay for a new anything else. Sakos are nearly always accurate shooters and are a huge leap up in quality from any of the rifles mentioned thus far. It will have a genuine walnut stock, cut checkering, deeply blued metal, and come with no small amount of prestige.

Posts: 13207 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe A.:
quote:

I’m pretty sure the AR 10 is available in 243 but would be heavy for this 72 year old and probably out of my price range. I have 2 old pre Remington Bushmasters.

I need to check ou the Savages knowing they are usually very accurate. I’m not sure if they still offer an internal magazine or not.

Thanks

Joe

I have three 243s, two Savage bolt guns with internal magazines and a Savage 99. The bolt guns are easy to find.

I also have an AR10 in 260 Rem. and it is a heavy SOB. The AR10 type lowers are getting cheaper all the time.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12500 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Look at a Sauer 100 Classic XT. I just bought one in 270 and am super pleased with it. Sportsman's Warehouse has them in stock.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12839 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would a nice Husqvarna HVA 243 SR 2640 Mauser be of interest?

Posts: 152 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uggh. 1640 model.

Posts: 152 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but I’ve pre much settled on the Vanquard, assuming I can find one after the first of the year. I own a Mark 5 257m which I’ve been pleased with. But I’m still a model 70 fan.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have owned several different brands of rifles chambered for 243 Win. My favorite is a Mannlicher Shoenauer .243 that has never failed to get the job done on any animal I've ever shot at regardless of yardage, to the target, or fail to kill cleanly, on Mule deer, or caribou, loaded with 100 gr Hornady bullets. ONE SHOT, flop.
I have three sons in their fifties and up in age, and all have told me they want that rifle when I am gone to the happy hunting grounds. Big Grin
....................................... oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
mm MS. this thing shoots anything I feed it.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
mm MS. this thing shoots anything I feed it.

That's just like mine! One of the best rifle I have ever owned, and when it came up for sale price there were three of them, the rifle I bought, and two full stocked carbines, chambered for .308 win. I and two of my friends went to the store, and drew three pieces of paper from a hat to see the one of the three we would get. I wanted a 308, but drew the 243 rifle, and boy was I glad once I found out how well that rifle worked! Now I wouldn't trade it for any of the other two, or the chambering.
....................................... tu2 oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My father also has a 243 in a Howa or Vanguard.

He loves them, he has two other 2 Howas and they have become his favorite rifles.

He is looking for a 270.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I recently inherited a 1955 Model 70 Featherweight in .243 with the Bausch & Lomb Balvar scope bases/scope. Can't wait to go shoot it, it has a very nice trigger.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I was tempted to buy one of those Henry Longrange (BLR type) lever actions. There was a returned 308 in the store that was brand new and they had a new 243 in the rack. They don't seem to sell well.

Wish they had irons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Acquired a browning safari grade 243 a long time ago. Has a Sako action and a pencile thin 22" barrel.
Worked up a load with IMR 4831 and a 95 Gr Nosler way back when and have never changed.
Nothing about the design of that gun spells accuracy but it will shoot clover leafs at 100 yds with that load.
It is my E Texas deer rifle. Good for hogs and Coyotes too.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Due to lack of availability, I made another choice. I went to gun store to pick up a red dot but they had a Ruger American Go Wild 6.5 Creedmoor and I went home with it. It is now topped with a Vortex Diamondback 4x16x44 30mm Tactical FFP moa. I believe I’ll like both the rifle and scope. Naturally, each has a thing or 2 that I’m not crazy about. Just minor things.

First day shooting I went thru the barrel break in. Second day I fired for groups. I shot 2 varieties of Hornady. First was 139 grain American Whitetail. First landed low and next 2 an inch higher almost touching resulting in an 1 inch 3 shot group. Next was Hornady 140 grain Match. 2 3 shot groups and each would have 2 almost touching and one opening each group up to 1 1/8 inch. I went back to the AH 139 grain and was rewarded with a less than a half inch 3 shot group and a 4 shot 3/4 inch group. Hopefully the rifle will tighten up some as it and me settles in. I believe it’ll work out fine for me.

I have some reloading dies that supposed to be here tomorrow. I hope to luck into some reloading Bullets locally before trying to order some.

Thanks for all the replies

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have nothing but respect for the .243 Win. Believe me, I'm been trying to rationalize buying one.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve added another 6.5 Creedmoor to the herd, a Bergara Wilderness Ridge. Still going thru the barrel break in. Seems like it’ll be a shooter. I thought the Ruger had a good trigger, which it does, but the Bergara is unbelievable. Each rifle is producing very small groups but with flyers. I haven’t decided if there may be a bedding issue or an issue with the nut behind the trigger. There can be 3 or 4 well under 1/2 inch and 1 or 2 flyers opening group up at times up to an inch and a quarter. Overall, each rifle seems to be tightening up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 250-3000 is the most perfect small bore ever..Ive shot and owned a number of them in bolt and lever actions and they all shot sub MOA, Ive shot everything form pinheads, rockchucks, coyotes to deer antelope and elk with that little round and never a bad day..much overlooked these days..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
If you're wedded to another .243 for primarily bench use, you may want to consider having an action barreled so you can get a faster twist. Standard twist on most .243's is 10" with some as fast as 9". Contrast that with the 6mm Creed with a 7.5" twist allowing use of ELD and other ultra high BC profiles that will not stabiles in the standard .243 twist.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4856 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took my Heym 243 out yesterday to check the zero. Had forgotten what a sweet shooting little rifle it is. If I was buying one now I would want a faster twist barrel so it will shooter longer heavier bullets designed for 6mm CM etc. Here in Scotland we have a min bullet weight of 100gn and now that we are going non toxic, thats a little problematic with 243 winchester.

Posts: 977 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my youngest son a Savage 14 a few years ago. Very nice piece and brutally accurate.

Posts: 15787 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote