New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 police 26" in .223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone shooting a Rem Police in .223 notice that primers cratering up around fireing pin, I checked size of hole on bolt face mine measures .078 I checked my Rem 700 in 30.06 its .065 I am consered as I was loading Varget with 75gr HPBT Hornady,s I am still below max and they crater quite a bit never seen this before

Posts: 38 | Location: Ottawa canada | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Cartering is as much a sign of poor firing pin fit as it is pressure. I am not sure what the remedy would be other than refitting a new firing pin.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't feel too bad, Manitou. My new 700 SPS Varmint in .223 does the same thing. Craters primers with factory ammo, and anything approaching factory pressure levels. If I back down my handloads to .222 Rem levels, the primers look fine. I will probably just live with the cratered primers, since I am confident my loads are not generating excessive pressures.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how tight the chamber is and head spacing could cause it too

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Not all primers are born equal. Might try a different primer in your reloads and see if there is any improvement???? Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an LVSF and an LTR. Both crater with even mild loads. I don't worry about it anymore. Both are 3/8" 5 shot group guns.

Dan