New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady ELD-X
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have a mule deer hunt this fall & there are so many good bullets these days I'm having trouble deciding which one to use. Cartridge is .257 Weatherby Magnum. I've just about settled on the Nosler 110-grain AccuBond, but Hornady's 110-grain ELD-X is intriguing. Anyone have experience with the ELD-X in the 257 WBY?
Thanks.

Posts: 464 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, IMHO you can't go wrong with the Nosler partitions.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
The ELDX is shooting execeptionally well from 300WM (and 6.5CM,) consistent sub MOA groups.

Inside 300 yds with the 300, (antelope/deer)
the entry and exit wounds are large--
with the thoracic internals turned to mush

yes,
I said the entry is large as well,
consistently, larger than other projectiles I have used

IMO this projectile is built for lower velocities, not magnums inside 300 yds

it appears to be optimized for lower velocity impacts at longer distances for the magnum rounds

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with the Accubonds, but Ive only used them in the 06, 8mm/06 Ackely, 8x57 338, 9.3x62 and 338..none of which push the string like a fast 257 Wby, a caliber that's hard on bullets..I think Id choose a monolithic like the Barnes, GS Customs or such at those velocities, and let someone else try the Accubonds, not saying they won't work, probably will, but let the other fellow use them until they prove themselves.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
110 accubonds IMR 7828ssc in my 257 really accurate only taken 2 deer would work very well on mule deer

Posts: 66 | Location: mn | Registered: 01 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogersGunWorks:
Have a mule deer hunt this fall & there are so many good bullets these days I'm having trouble deciding which one to use. Cartridge is .257 Weatherby Magnum. I've just about settled on the Nosler 110-grain AccuBond, but Hornady's 110-grain ELD-X is intriguing. Anyone have experience with the ELD-X in the 257 WBY?
Thanks.

I see Weatherby has listed the 110gr ELD X as a factory load now. Should be a good few years before we get any.

However, the accubond works very well, much better than the partition and ballistic tip.
Used it last year on a zebra at 35m. Through both shoulders and perfectly mushroomed.

Posts: 376 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Either will fit the bill. tu2

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
With a Weatherby, I'd stay with the Accubonds since you know they will hold together.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sierra makes a 75 grain hollow point. Load that in your .257 WBY, shoot it into a deer's vitals somewhere at between 3 and 300 yards, and chances are that the deer will die, and very soon after the firing pin hits the primer.

This is not to say that the 75 grain Hollow Point is a "good" bullet for mule deer, but far too much is made of bullet construction for hunting game of modest size these days. Most any of them work.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 110 AB in the 257 Roberts for hogs, whitetail and even an elk because it was what I had.
Most of my recovered bullets are around 60grs, not great imo, but very dead animals.
Because of the lack of retained weight I have switched to TSX/TTSX and Swift Sciroccos with much better results.
All this to say at Weatherby velocities I think the AB is going to be a bit soft. On a broadside animal it will not make a difference. If you have to go through a shoulder first....I'd want a mono.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I would stay away from the ELD x.
A young man that hunts with us is was using them in a 6.5 Creedmore and they are explosive even at fairly sedate Creedmore speeds. Only a matter of time before he loses an animal. Very shallow penetration and very explosive making a large entrance wound.
We are switching him to another bullet this fall either a Sierra or Accubond most likely

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I would stay away from the ELD x.
A young man that hunts with us is was using them in a 6.5 Creedmore and they are explosive even at fairly sedate Creedmore speeds. Only a matter of time before he loses an animal. Very shallow penetration and very explosive making a large entrance wound.
We are switching him to another bullet this fall either a Sierra or Accubond most likely

Interestingly enough but I noticed the exact opposite expansion v penetration on a couple different mule deer kills of mine.

I was using the 6.5 Creedmoor 143 ELD-X and my range was med-far so velocity was even more sedate but the expansion was not what I'd hoped for on them both.

I went back to the LR 129 accubond and get BOTH expansion and penetration.

Hard to best an Accubond!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
I have shot the 110 AB in the 257 Roberts for hogs, whitetail and even an elk because it was what I had.
Most of my recovered bullets are around 60grs, not great imo, but very dead animals.

Perry

Pretty much what they were designed to do. They only bond the rear of the bullet to mimic partition performance.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote