THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Recommendations for a NICE 22 WMR

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a NICE 22 WMR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I'm planning on getting a 22 WMR to mate with my Rimfire suppressor that's on order.

Yea, I can get an inexpensive, quality Ruger with a pre-threaded barrel.

Any NICE 22 WMR on the market, available with threaded barrels, you'd recommend? Nice wood stock would be great.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Looks like Stockys has a wood replacement stock for the Ruger American. That would be a simple option. And only $200 for the stock

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the mod. 61 Win pump, they are incredibly accurate, and as of late they are incredibly expensive..but worth the price and resale is good and they are a good investment.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ll second the Winchester Model 61 recommendation. It was my dream rifle when I was 11 years old but the $75 price tag was too steep for my paper route budget. I purchased a beautiful one 8 years ago and it wasn’t $75. Accurate and really fun to shoot. Great walking carry rifle for California ground squirrels and Utah prairie dogs. One of my favorite rifles. It was only made for a few years leading up to 1964 so prices are still steep but it’s worth it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anschutz, Sako, Cooper and Lithgow. All in a totally different league to the Ruger American.
https://youtu.be/ltuituy2ttU

This is my Lithgow LA101 in .17HMR with laminated stock and black cerakote.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Wasn't aware of Lithgow. I really like the Sako 85 Quad. I shot Anschutz 22 LR in high school (when public high schools had rifle times!)

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Damn - I like that Lithgow

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without going to the big bucks, CZ seems to be a significant notch above ruger. They use wood and steel, and generally get good reviews for quality and accuracy. I shot a friends CZ in 22lr and was impressed.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I vote CZ. I replaced the stamped trigger guard with a steel milled TG.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
I'm planning on getting a 22 WMR to mate with my Rimfire suppressor that's on order.

Any NICE 22 WMR on the market, available with threaded barrels, you'd recommend? Nice wood stock would be great.

I'm no expert on rimfires, but .22 WMR and suppressors seem a bit contradictory to me. The only benefit of the WMR over the LR is the added oomph, and it's accompanying noise. If you want suppression, wouldn't it be easier to stick with .22 LR and it's much greater selection of ammo (including subsonic)?

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:
quote:

I'm no expert on rimfires, but .22 WMR and suppressors seem a bit contradictory to me. The only benefit of the WMR over the LR is the added oomph, and it's accompanying noise. If you want suppression, wouldn't it be easier to stick with .22 LR and it's much greater selection of ammo (including subsonic)?

I could get a Sako Quad with a 17 HMR, 22 LR, and 22 WMR- all threaded

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you are planning to avoid the ruger 77/22. I had a couple, poor accuracy.
I’ve also owned and sold a cooper and Anschutz, both were sub 1” at 100 with the right ammo.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the new Steyr Zephyr II? If you want a nice rifle, this one should fit the bill. Some for sale on GunBroker now in 22 WMR.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn - I like that Lithgow

Yeah, I like it. Quite a bit cheaper here than an Anschutz which was what I’d have bought otherwise. They have earned a great reputation for accuracy since they were released about 6 years ago.
Pretty sure they are available in the USA.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Suppressors only truly work with subsonic ammo taking out both the noise of the powder gases and the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. Good 22RF subsonic ammo gives up little from HV ammo in performance on small game and a good suppressor will really take the noise level to nil with only the mechanical noise from firing pin, hammer or in the case of semi autos that fire from an open breech, the breech block slam remaining.

However any rifle can be fitted with a suppressor and they really do tame noise even with supersonic ammo. A suppressed 7mm or 30 cal magnum is a totally different kettle of fish than unsuppressed.

I would expect a suppressed 22 WMR would be tamed quite nicely, obviously not as well as it would be if using subsonic ammo which I don't think is available or if it was, you would basically just be shooting 22RF subsonic.

Posts: 3846 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasJohn:
Have you looked at the new Steyr Zephyr II? If you want a nice rifle, this one should fit the bill. Some for sale on GunBroker now in 22 WMR.

Yes, that's a really nice rifle!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
quote:

Suppressors only truly work with subsonic ammo taking out both the noise of the powder gases and the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. Good 22RF subsonic ammo gives up little from HV ammo in performance on small game and a good suppressor will really take the noise level to nil with only the mechanical noise from firing pin, hammer or in the case of semi autos that fire from an open breech, the breech block slam remaining.

However any rifle can be fitted with a suppressor and they really do tame noise even with supersonic ammo. A suppressed 7mm or 30 cal magnum is a totally different kettle of fish than unsuppressed.

I would expect a suppressed 22 WMR would be tamed quite nicely, obviously not as well as it would be if using subsonic ammo which I don't think is available or if it was, you would basically just be shooting 22RF subsonic.

Yes, I know how suppressors work. I also know that even with suppressed super sonic ammo, hogs often come back in after shots - in fact got 3 opportunities on the same herd a few months ago shooting my suppressed 308 Win. Even on my suppressed 300 blackout bolt action with subsonic ammo there is still still a report - sort of like a stick or ruler slapping a hard surface.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall seeing somewhere that Winchester has a subsonic 45gr 22WMR load...

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Ordered a Zephyr II yesterday - with a threaded barrel. Be here next week. Have a 2-7x33 Leupold for it already.

Will be fun - except for the coons and hogs - not fun for them at all

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I forgot to add my Dad has a Marlin 782 bolt gun he bought many years ago and its very accurate with Winchester Hollow Points and seems to be well made. He has used it quite often to head shoot Duiker and Impala and has shot many Dassies with it too. Great little caliber I hope you enjoy yours!

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about subsonic, but I've shot some 45 gr. lead bulleted .22 WMR load that was advertised at 1500 fps. Shot very well in a Remington 513 barrel that had been installed in a Martini action and rechambered.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your purchase.

Another option for those still looking maybe the Browning T bolt. Or a JM Marlin Model 39 of you can live with a long rifle. I do not remember if Marlin chambered that rifle in the 22 Mag.

I have both and live them. They feel like real, “adult” rifles.

Posts: 10781 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Another option maybe the Browning T bolt. Or a JM Marlin Model 39 of you can live with a long rifle. I do not remember if Marlin chambered that rifle in the 22 Mag.

I have both and live them. They feel like real, “adult” rifles.

Yeah, I like the Browning T-Bolt.

My 22 LR is an old JC Higgins semi-auto. FUN rifle, cycles 22 LR shorts and they are very quiet!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester had a neat lever action in 22 LR and WMR..Ive owned a couple of the them and they are a little cheaper than the mod.61, my all time favorite..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you are planning to avoid the ruger 77/22. I had a couple, poor accuracy.

With all due respect, I've had just the opposite experience. I currently have a Ruger 77 in 22WMR with a VX II 3X9X33 Leupold scope, and it's been my go-to gun for shooting small chislers in the farming fields of Southern Utah. Big Grin

Ray: I have both the 22 LR and the 22WMR in the Winchester lever actions. I also have the Browning 22 lever action. All sweet guns! I also have a Winchester Model 1890 pump with an octagonal barrel in 22 long made in 1932, which belonged to my Grandfather. Fun little gun to shoot as well! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Winchester had a neat lever action in 22 LR and WMR..Ive owned a couple of the them and they are a little cheaper than the mod.61, my all time favorite..

I bought a Model 9422M some 20 years ago...or more. I paid around $300. It's made in America quality all the way. And it will terminate coyote problems with one shot.

I haven't shot it since I bought a .222 Rem. I can shoot hand loaded .222 Rem for less money than .22 Mag rounds.

The .22 WMR is a powerful albeit underrated cartridge for small to medium varmints at suitable distances.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Morning TexasJohn,

I agree with your recommendation a 100%. I darn near bought a Zepher: https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/zephyrii until I finally found what I really wanted: a Sauer 100 .222 Rem. I have no clue of why Sauer DC'd its .222 Rem chambering.

I completely get the utility of AR rifles for coyote hunting. However, and this is just a guess, with 16-to-20 inch AR barrels, the .222 Rem out of a 22" barrel will equal/exceed the .223 Rem out of AR barrels.

My 9422M is open sighted. With a very steady rest and stationary coyote, I can make work. But I'd rather have the appreciated aid of a scope.

The .22WMR is a powerful rim fire. But the .222 Rem is more versatile. The .222 Rem is incredibly accurate. My stock Sauer .222 Rem shoots about slightly more than half-inch at a hundred. The flip side is I've tried only one load. I'm sure I could shrink group size with more experimenting.

BTW, the Steyr .222 Rem appears to be an excellent rifle. But I ain't sure its $2400. price tag makes it better than other .222 Rem rifles. I've yet to hear/read a negative comment about Savage's .222 Rem rifle. Anschutz is another albeit expensive option for the .22 WMR and .222 Rem. Again, I'm not sure if its price translates to higher quality vis-a-vis a Savage.

The .22 WMR has definite utility. However, especially due to ammo cost of the .22 WMR, the .222 Rem made more sense to me. Hand loading makes the .222 Rem less expensive to shoot. But I do like the .22 WMR. If I were to buy another, it'd be a Steyr.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
I recall seeing somewhere that Winchester has a subsonic 45gr 22WMR load...

Can't imagine why. Making a WMR subsonic seems to me to be reminiscent of the Monty Python movie set where all the actors strap boxes to their feet, then stand in trenches to bring them back to normal height. In other words, it defeats the whole purpose (and only advantage) of the round: to fire a .22 rimfire-type bullet with more oomph than a .22 Long Rifle. Water it down to 1000 fps and you're right back where you started, with a .22LR - except the rifle cost more and the ammo is more expensive, harder to find, and less variety. Worst of both worlds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm on board the .22 WMR bandwagon. However, with quality hunting .22 WMR going for well over 10 bucks-a-box, using my 9422M is becoming difficult to justify. But then again, all factory ammo has fallen prey to supply-and-demand. Supply can't keep pace with demand causing price to inflict severe damage to wallets.

Reloading makes a lot of sense.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I decided some time ago the only reason for a 22WM was if you lived in Texas and hunted Turkey or Javalina, the 22 mag. is perfect for both..otherwise the 22LR is way more practical. The cost of 22 WMR ammo is sky high, I can shoot my 222 Rem by handloading cheaper than the 22 magnums. Todays hot 22 L.R.s are close enough to a 22 mag to suit me..but it would nice to have a 22Mag that had cheap ammo like a 22 L.R.....

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120