New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rigby Inspired 6.5x55mm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I built this rifle after being inspired by photos of an original Rigby stalking rifle. The stock was made from the blank. The action is a Mexican Mauser that has the left side wall milled like a G33/40. Scope mounts are Recknagel swing mounts on a welded on rear square bridge & contour front base. Rear sight base is sleeved. [URL= ]6.5x55 Mexican Mauser[/URL]

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Excellent job, R.A.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one beautiful rifle !!

Posts: 1007 | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Exquisitely executed. tu2 tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
beauty. Love the light wood

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow,beautiful is an understatement. Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Very nice work. A beautiful rifle.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great looking rifle!

I envy your skills and love your work. tu2

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done! I want one!

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Well done! I want one!

Dogcat, Not to worry. You, too, can have one. All it takes is a few dollars.

Thanks to all for the generous compliments.

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
Well done! Very nice proportions!

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I envy the artisan skill you have shown use. Beautiful rifle sir.This is a 6.5 I can love.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice!

Posts: 222 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What barrel contour is that??

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neat.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nortman:
What barrel contour is that??

The barrel was custom contoured and turned to match the diameter of the ring-type rear sight base. It was also re-contoured at the end of the barrel cylinder. Compared to a commercial contour, the barrel would be between a Douglas #1 and #2.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The contour reminded me of this early 7x57 Rigby:

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nortman:
The contour reminded me of this early 7x57 Rigby:

Yes, rifles like this were my inspiration when building the 6.5x55. These rifles are elegant in their simplicity. What a pity a similar rifle is not marketable today.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogersGunWorks:

Yes, rifles like this were my inspiration when building the 6.5x55. These rifles are elegant in their simplicity. What a pity a similar rifle is not marketable today.

Indeed. I'd love one just like it (the Rigby) but unfortunately with the necessary modifications for a scope. Blasphemous I know but my eyes now demand such things. Roll Eyes

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Did I see this rifle in Dallas in the ACGG area? If it is the same rifle, I have to admit it was the hands down favorite of mine there... very impressive work!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Did I see this rifle in Dallas in the ACGG area? If it is the same rifle, I have to admit it was the hands down favorite of mine there... very impressive work!

Yes, I displayed this rifle in Dallas. Thank you for the compliment. It's my favorite of all the bolt action rifles I've built.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That wood is beyond beautiful. Very nice job!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny story about that stock blank. It came from a used car dealer who told me it was traded in on a car. It is indeed a nice stock blank.
Thanks for the compliment!

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Beautiful boomstick and funny story about the blank.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote