THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Comments Requested: Savage M12 F 6.5-284 Norma

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comments Requested: Savage M12 F 6.5-284 Norma
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is your opinion of the Savage M12 F 6.5-284 Norma?

Thanks for your input.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesI think you'll have a good chance of having a decent rifle if you get the stainleess barrel and replace the accutrigger with something of better quality. The cartridge is a winner. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Short of a true custom built action (not a highly gunsmithed Remington, etc), think you would be hard pressed to beat the Savage.

Some folks have had good success with the 6.5 x 284. Some haven't.

JCalhoun on the Savage Shooters forum worked with a 6.5 x 284 in his Savage with a custom barrel in 1,000 yard F-class competition for a whole year and cussed it. Another forum competitor did the same and liked his.

As far as cartridges go, have more personal experience with the 260 Rem, 6.5 x 55 Swede, 6.5 - 06, and 264 Win Mag. They seemed to do well within their respective niches.

The Savage rifle itself has a lot of folks singing its praise.

The AccuTrigger is a great factory trigger. There are probably better competition triggers.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the finest rifles on the market today.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The North Carolina 500 yard Groundhog & Egg Shoot has folks come from around the world to compete in it. Pretty tough competition.

No sighters. No wind flags. One fouling shot. Then all for score.

In factory class this year, both first and second place were taken by shooters using Savage factory rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

That's a testimony for Savage for sure & certain!

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Frowner EekerIt amazes me how everyone has good luck with the accutrigger but me. Is Savage paying you guys to post this stuff???? Based also on the 4 Mod. 200 Stevens I bought Savage will never gain a reputation for high quality at any price. thumbdown roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It amazes me how everyone has good luck with the accutrigger but me. Is Savage paying you guys to post this stuff???? Based also on the 4 Mod. 200 Stevens I bought Savage will never gain a reputation for high quality at any price. roger

The Stevens does not have an accutrigger, and my 200 Stevens is a gem.

Posts: 15806 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Frowner EekerIt amazes me how everyone has good luck with the accutrigger but me. Is Savage paying you guys to post this stuff???? Based also on the 4 Mod. 200 Stevens I bought Savage will never gain a reputation for high quality at any price. thumbdown roger

I checked with the Savage folks this morning.

You're still on the list for the rejects.

Will let you know when you get moved to the other list.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

beerNice touch, Hammer. dancingroger

I checked with the Savage folks this morning.

You're still on the list for the rejects.

Will let you know when you get moved to the other list.