THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Having A Bit Of Fun With .12 And .14 Calibers

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having A Bit Of Fun With .12 And .14 Calibers
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

I made my own brass cases for these.

Easier to work with a big case rather than some tine one can hardly hold in his hands.

These cases are solid, apart from a central hole down to the primer, so powder capacity is not going to be too great, which should not make that much of a difference.

Case is next to a 300 grain 375 bullet, and one is next to a 243 caliber bullet.

These are 14 caliber bullets.

Will try to make some 12 caliber tomorrow.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66708 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend's old coyote hunting buddy shot a 14 cal for years. He and the gun have been gone for years now!

I'll have to ask again what case it was built on but I think the Fireball.

I'm currently building a 20 VarTarg on a Sako S491. I know, quite vanilla.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Must be troublesome to get the powder trickling
freely down that tiny neck!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will those cases expand in the chamber, or are you relying on neck expansion to do the obduration?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rikkochet:
Will those cases expand in the chamber, or are you relying on neck expansion to do the obduration?

No idea.

It is a wait and see situation when we try it.

Posts: 66708 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point about those case expanding to seal.

I know we observe lack of obtuation if we fire-form with a load that's too light. It really deposits lots of soot on the case!

The bullets and cases are BEAUTIFUL so I hope it's an successful endeavor.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to your test results, Saeed!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, if you don't mind sharing this, how does your cost of making cases and bullets compare with buying factory made? Also what unit of currency is used in your country?

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Finally managed to make 8.3 and 10.3 grain .12 caliber bullets. clap

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
How fast are you going to drive them, Saeed? Bet they will sting!

– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No idea Bill.

But, I got 6756 FPS from the 220 Swift with a 24 grain bullet today!!!!?

5 shots went 0.7 on an inch!

I will post photos, including the display from the Oehler chronograph!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
You said 6756?!

faint

– John Green, author

Administrator
posted Hide Post

This is the only reading I got from the chronograph.

This is with 43 grains of H4895.

With 35 grains, I also got only one reading, and that was 4992 fps.

And just for fun, I also made some bullets to try in the 22 Long Rifle Rim Fire.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
very cool all.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'll echo that "that's very cool" and I'll add, very interesting.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I’m very interested in your results with the .22 rimfire.
I just bought 2000 new unloaded .22 cases and am now trying to decide what I’m going to do with them! rotflmo

One thing I’m thinking is that they could be used to prime a bigger modified case and then, with these special cases, could be used in a switchbarrel without needing to swap the bolt or block from rimfire to centerfire.
Of course, may be just as dopey to switch the extractor as it is to swap the bolt or block.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Huvius, there were some schuetzen guys playing with primed .22 LR brass using FFFFg black powder. That sounded like fun. Think the brass was Aguila, from Mexico.
Saeed, awaiting more of your results, as usual!

– John Green, author