New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Grendel Wolf steel cased
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
will these shoot fine in a bolt gun? like a Howa mini-action?

thanks

One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
Depends on how you define "shoot fine"
Will they chamber, fire and extract ok? Probably.
Will they group in tiny bugs eyes? Maybe.
I've never had a 6.5 Grendel and probably never will. Bolt gun or not.
My 6.5 Creedmoor does just fine.
Perhaps some one who owns a bolt gun like yours and has tried the Wolf steel case ammo will respond.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just functioning was what I was wondering

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a howa mini 6.5 Grendel but I've never used that ammo. Sorry.

Mine has now officially worn 2 different 6.5 Grendel factory barrels and it still doesn't shoot well enough to please me. My buddy's shoots bug holes.

I LOVE the thoughts of a 200 yard deer rifle for the grand kids (and a 5000+ round-count plinker for me) so a new custom barrel is in order. Probably a #3 Lilja since all mine have been shooters and my brother's Lilja is spectacular!

I have the Howa Mini in a 223 and its an under MOA shooter so I know they can shoot well.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have fired it and it works and functions well in the AR platform I tried it in.
Not particularly accurate in that rifle however

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its not bad plinking stuff, but I prefer the Barnul 100grain,I can get a soild 2" group at 100 meters out of the little CZ bolt gun, but it took some cleaning of the bore,

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a word, YES, it will shoot and function perfectly with nothing to worry about.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t shoot steel cased ammo in any of my guns. Aren’t steel case ammo lacquer coated to prevent corrosion (rust)? Will not the lacquer eventually coat the chamber and cause issues?

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
I don’t shoot steel cased ammo in any of my guns. Aren’t steel case ammo lacquer coated to prevent corrosion (rust)? Will not the lacquer eventually coat the chamber and cause issues?

I believe they quit using lacquer and not use a polymer. It's not problem, you shoot plastic shotshells and wads in your shotgun don't you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice to know... didn’t realize lacquer is no longer used.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:

Regardless of the coating, it is only a problem when excessively long strings of successive shots heat the chamber enough that the lacquer starts melting off of the case inside the chamber. This typically occurs with a semi-auto when the shooter is more interested in hearing a "bang-bang-bang" than hitting a target. In a bolt action it would be very unusual to get the chamber hot enough to melt lacquer (or any other coating).

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote